Botox Questions....

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Botox Questions....

Postby Guest » 18 Sep 2007, 10:45

I know that Patty and Christi have both recently gotten botox shots. I have mulled over the surgery and would get it if it weren't for a chronic abdominal strain that I have (a nightmare!)
So thinking over my situation, I've scheduled an appointment with my CRS to discuss the Botox shot. Basically, I keep going through 3-5 week periods of healing followed by 1-2 week period of reopening. I often find the BM that reopens the fissure is only slightly larger and hardly ever more firm than one of my normal, healthy BMs. I have also been told by 2 CRS' that my sphincter muscle is not excessively tight. This leads me to the conclusion, that I'm simply clenching up to much when it comes time to have a BM. So I'm thinking a Botox shot my give me the temporary relaxation that I need to finish the healing cycle. OK, now to the questions...
1. I don't have spasm problems, but do have the associated pain that goes with the fissure. Will the shot help with this at all?
2. I am able to stay relatively still active, like walking a lot and doing upper body exercises. Will getting the shot affect this initially or was it business as usual (be it bad or good for anyone who answers) after the shot?
3. Will I be able to sit down normally after the shot...again, I only have minor discomfort now?
4. Were you concerned about being allergic to botox before the shot? Did the CRS test you for this?
Much thanks in advance!

Re: Botox Questions....

Postby Guest » 18 Sep 2007, 16:40

Hello Chris,
Let me see if I can help out....
1. I don't have spasm problems, but do have the associated pain that goes with the fissure. Will the shot help with this at all?
I had spasms but once I started the nefedipine cream they got a bit better, but it was not enough. The shot helped with pain and the spasms. I still have a little pain in the morning but it is managable with a warm bath and lasts only minutes.
2. I am able to stay relatively still active, like walking a lot and doing upper body exercises. Will getting the shot affect this initially or was it business as usual (be it bad or good for anyone who answers) after the shot?
No the shot won't affect this. My CRS said all along I could be excersing. I just waited a couple of weeks after the shot. I only excercise a little. I am still very cautious. My AF was not long but it was very deep. So I am staying off my bike until next season. I walk a bit and do light weights.
3. Will I be able to sit down normally after the shot...again, I only have minor discomfort now?
Yes, but I sit on a cushion or a pillow. I also get up alot at work and file so I am not on my butt for 8hours. I was careful the first week after my shot.
4. Were you concerned about being allergic to botox before the shot? Did the CRS test you for this?
No and my CRS did not test me.
Chris you have to do what is comfortable for you. I am glad I got this shot of Botox it has helped alot. I am not 100% but I am getting there. I had a lot of anxiety with this AF. So I still don't stray to far from home. My CRS told me if I have any major pain just to call he would set up a time for another shot. He told me it would take 2/3 more months to fully heal and not to get constipated. So I am sticking to my routine of eating, supplements, creams, water and baths. I hope you get good results with your CRS. I like my CRS alot and he is very helpful. Maybe Christi will respond to this with her experience with her shot. I hope I was helpful.
Take Care
Patty

Postby buttgirl » 18 Sep 2007, 17:10

Chris0007 wrote:1. I don't have spasm problems, but do have the associated pain that goes with the fissure. Will the shot help with this at all?--you'd be surprised. I thought I wasn't really having any anymore, but i found out different after the botox shot. I think any tightening up that is uncontrolable should be considered a spasm by people with AF, even if it doesn't hurt. In short, yes if involuntary contractions are your problem. Yours was my MO too. 3 wks healing 1 wk reinjury during period cramp time which tightened everything up down there.
2. I am able to stay relatively still active, like walking a lot and doing upper body exercises. Will getting the shot affect this initially or was it business as usual (be it bad or good for anyone who answers) after the shot?--it was business as usual. I might have farted a bit more, but not even that was rerally noticeable.

3. Will I be able to sit down normally after the shot...again, I only have minor discomfort now?--I drove an hour to a lunch meeting 5 mins after getting the shot.
4. Were you concerned about being allergic to botox before the shot? Did the CRS test you for this?--no, not concerned and not test. basically it is a protein syntehsized form one of the deadliest toxins we know of, so i'm not sure if an allergy test would show anything. I figured everyone would have a reaction as this protein is put on. It's meant to paralyze muscles.
Much thanks in advance!--sure thing
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Deleted User 5 » 19 Sep 2007, 02:30

Yet, I do think it is interesting that such a powerful agent isn't tested on anyone....I had never considered whether it was not not...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 19 Sep 2007, 09:35

Thanks Patty and Christi....and Kim!

Postby Guest » 04 Oct 2007, 18:16

Chris,
Your welcome and I hope I was of some help.
Take Care
Patty