My people!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

My people!

Postby Haley » 25 Nov 2011, 04:42

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for opening this forum. I feel like I've finally found my people! Just to have people who understand and relate to this AWFUL problem has already made me feel a bit better.
So, I've had fissures before when I was younger but nothing lasting more than 2 or 3 days.
BUT... After the birth of my first baby 6 months ago I've been breastfeeding and I believe this is the cause of the constipation that gave me the chronic fissure I now have. I'm 5 months with this tear now.
I'm no stranger to pain - have suffered with gallstones... had a natural birth and choose to take no form of pain relief the whole way through my labour... BUT... lord, this fissure is agony. I don't know where to begin... and I know you all understand. The other day I caught myself thinking "Well one day I will die - at least then it will be over". Isn't that awful? I have a lovely family and beautiful new baby... it's unbelievable a tiny tear can cause such incredible pain.
There have been times I've had to leave my baby crying on his own whilst I've jumped in a hot bath to try and ease the unbearable pain after a bowel movement. My partner and I are suffering as I am a heap of misery and he is struggling to hold our normal life together. I can't sleep for the pain. I live in fear of the next bowel movement.
I've tried over-the-counter creams, became dependant on laxatives and had to shake that, tried diet, exercise, sitz baths three times a day. etc. etc.
The doctor presecribed Proctosedyl. It did NOTHING. Prune juice has been a bit of a breakthrough. It keeps my bowel movements soft and regular - I have three glasses a day and hot water with lemon in the morning, lots of apple juice and water etc. etc.
However, I'm still not healed. BMs are just excruciating. If I'm lucky the pain clears up before bed time and I get some sleep before the whole thing starts again the next BM. On a bad day, it feels like I'm back to sqaure one. Sweating and whimpering with pain night and day... you know how it is.
ANYWAY... yesterday the doc gave me some Rectogesic. Headaches have been quite light, luckily. Had a BM this morning and it was VERY painful for a little while after but the pain subsided quite fast. Oh, I hope this works for me. Has anybody had any luck with it??
So thank you - and I'm so grateful for you! Sorry if I've gone on and on in this post but it's such a relief to find this forum and be able to speak openly to people who will understand!
Wishing you all the VERY best. Always here to lend an ear. xx
Haley
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: My people!

Postby shakeit » 25 Nov 2011, 11:58

I really empathise with you Haley. I too have thought on many occasions that at least I know one day death will end the pain. Up until my surgery I had often spent 8 hours a day in agonising pain. It went on for months. It dominated my life.
If you are managing to keep your stools regular and soft then that is a huge benefit. I still struggle with this. Sounds like your sphincter is spasming, which is probably what is causing the lasting severe pain. Regtogesic should relax the sphincter muscle, there are other creams that do this too like Diltiazem. I've not used Rectogesic, but I have read stories of people who it has worked for.
Yoga breathing while having a BM was recommeded on this board, I tried it and it did help a lot. Its basically deep slow breaths in and out. Helps your bum relax and makes it easier to have a BM.
Lots of people have recovered successfully from a fissure and are no longer in any pain so hang on in there. I'm trying to hang on too, I had surgery two weeks ago and am still having ups and downs but I am in less pain (though I do still have pain) now than before which I am very thankful for.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby ju8 » 25 Nov 2011, 14:07

Hi hayley. I really hope this work for you. I know it takes over your whole life. Nobody can understand how bad it is until you have experienced it. You feel like you are missing out on so much, especially with your children. Really hope this is the cure for you.
ju8

Topics: 2

Postby dwarfs8 » 25 Nov 2011, 19:19

hi harley, u r most welcome to vent here! When i first got my fissure, i went thru the hellish week without knowing there's such a site! If i have known, i wouldn't have suicidal thoughts so often i guess! Nobody understands how this small cut can take away our whole life. I've recovered after 5 months of ups and downs and finally calmed down. When i looked back, i realised it's really bcos going through BMs is the SIMPLEST thing i can do, yet, it has become my nightmare, and this nightmare repeats itself everyday. Not mentioning that it affects my eating, lifestyle, my movements and takes away my joy.
If you like to have some ideas on conservative treatments, do take a look at a thread "my success story". Do a search and u'll find
There's indeed hope at the end of the tunnel. Don't give up yet. If all else fails and u've enough, take the surgery.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Dom » 27 Nov 2011, 13:23

I too completely understand what haley is saying! This forum should be prescribed to patients from their doctors!!
I cant wait until the day we all talk to each other about how our fissures were healed!
Dom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby FinnsMom » 27 Nov 2011, 23:56

Hi Haley! I'm sorry you have to be here! I really can relate to your story, I got my fissure 4 weeks after I had my son. I was also breastfeeding and getting dehydrated.
What kind of doctor are you seeing? Just a general practice doctor or a colorectal surgeon?
If you have any questions feel free to ask. :)
FinnsMom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Haley » 28 Nov 2011, 02:16

Thanks for the warm welcomes and supporitve comments! Last few days have been a bit more bearable - it really is keeping the BMs loose that makes a massive difference. Had two BMs yesterday which does NOT help, but it was my birthday weekend so ended up eating a bit too much. Going to cut back today.
FinnsMom....I'm seeing my GP at the moment... I've been to her three times about my fissure since I had my son five months ago. It was just last week she gave me the retrogesic which I'm hoping will help! How's it going with you? I'm sure it was the breastfeeding that did it for me! I've cut down to feeding him just once a day now in the hopes it helps matters. That... and Post-natal Pregnacare!!!! That is what gave me the most severe constipation!!!!! I'm so angry with that company!!!!!! Did you stop breastfeeding because of your fissure??
Anyway.... :) Feeling positive today, off to buy (yet more) prune juice and some Magnesium tablets. Have never tried Magnesium but am going to give it a go.
Wishing you all healthy, happy days xxx
Haley
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby TonyStone » 28 Nov 2011, 10:27

Sadly, welcome, we all feel your pain.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14