Starting to get really nervous surgery at 2:15 on Monday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Starting to get really nervous surgery at 2:15 on Monday

Postby Sue1962 » 05 Jan 2012, 17:04

I got a call from the hospital today. My surgery is scheduled for 2:15 on Monday. Have to be there at noon, so I have to leave at 10 a.m. ok, nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before, that sucks...I will be starving and hope I am still starving when I wake up. I am a little worried about this not sure how long the surgery and recovery room period takes, but I am thinking I will probably be there til 4:30 or 5 and then a two hour ride home. No food, equals no poop the next day!!!! Image I am such a regular 7a.m pooper but if there is nothing there, then what?? I am sure I will eat when I get home, but probably not feel like a huge meal. Am I over thinking all of this??? Just really nervous about the whole thing.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: Starting to get really nervous surgery at 2:15 on Monday

Postby wecc » 05 Jan 2012, 18:06

Hi Sue....first just think about the steps you are taking to move to a better place. At the end of the day you can do this or live in on and off pain. life is way too short to live like that....
Yes 215 is a late surgery time. Given you have not eaten in a while, many hospitals will give you something to eat once you are fully awake. I am a regular pooper at 7 as well. I just went though the same thing yesterday in regard to not eating and had a very big BM this afternoon. Not eating for one day does not mean you will not have a BM the following day. If I could, I would suggest bring a bunch of water for your return ride home, as well as a few things to eat.....remember to take Miralax that eveing....in fact, I would start Friday...I did even if I never did end up needing the pain meds...however, I would rather be safe then sorry and get all backed up.
Good luck Sue....my thoughts will be with you!!!
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 05 Jan 2012, 19:46

Hey Sue,
I had the same worries. My surgery was around 1pm. I ate a normal diet the day before surgery and had a small bm the morning of my surgery. Be sure and take your Miralax, drink your water after surgery and try not to worry too much. If there's nothing in there then your poop may be delayed but that happens often with people who have to do the enemas anyway. Just be sure and get back on your diet as soon as you can. It should all work out and things should be soft with your water and Miralax.
My bm came a little later than usual the day after surgery and everything was fine.

Postby Sue1962 » 06 Jan 2012, 06:40

Thanks guys!!! I have been on Miralax for like a month and not going to stop it anytime soon!!! I am packing food and water for the ride home so I can nibble. I talked to the nurse yesterday pre op stuff they ask you and she said her son just had this done by the same CRS I am using and everything went very well. Whew, not that I questioned him, but nice to know. Got my shopping list ready and going this weekend. Thinking about how I will be feeling 1 wk from today, hopefully, alot better than I am feeling now. Thanks again for the help
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby dwarfs8 » 06 Jan 2012, 07:08

hi sue, i'm sure u'll be better after LIS! Share with us your healing journey over here k? :)
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby sterlingbird » 06 Jan 2012, 11:51

I was sooo worried about the day of surgery but actually all the stuff they gave me made it one of the most painless days I had had in months and I needed the pain break! To say not to worry is fruitless so I just stayed busy. Watched old movies, did bills, got things ready like cooking ahead for the hubby so he did not feel totally abandoned. It kept my mind busy. I wish you the best!
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby forrestgump » 06 Jan 2012, 15:59

Hey Sue,
Had my LIS on Wednesday ay 1.30pm. All very quickly arranged as I had a massive spasm on Tues morning which meant my Mum called CRS and demanded operation. But the main thing is DON'T WORRY. I feel so much better already, just 50-odd hours on. Post-operative pain is minimal (I had a local as well) and the drugs they gave me at hospital were fine. I was nervous b4 the op so didn't feel much like eating. I had a glass of water at 6am on the day of the operation which I told anaesthetist about and he was fine with. I stayed in overnight (my choice) but would probably have slept better at home. I have to say I was frankly terrified about my first BM post-surgery, which happened this afternoon. It was fine. Maybe I got lucky, but literally no pain at all. You will soon have your life back. I cannot tell you how pleased I am that I had the surgery.
Forrest x
forrestgump
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 06 Jan 2012, 21:53

That's awesome news Forrest! I love to read post like this!!
Your experience sounds just like mine. My first bm was the same as what you said- nothing to it! I actually cried, Lol. I know Sue needs to hear more of this... I know I could have used it before I had my LIS, and it's great to see you are doing well :)

Postby Sue1962 » 07 Jan 2012, 06:52

YAY!!! another good story!!! Thank you Forrest and everyone else for posting Image I am feeling alot better today. I am going to be fine and I am going to be on the other side of this shortly AND on the way to getting my life back. I am repeating this to myself as much as needed!! This is just such a roller coaster, but I think that staying positive will help in the long run!!! I am ready!!! nervous but soooo ready. Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist