I had a fissurectomy and LIS...it was not bad!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I had a fissurectomy and LIS...it was not bad!

Postby Nick P » 08 Jan 2012, 12:16

I've had fissure pain on ad off for 3 years. I went to my regular doc and he perscribed 2.5% hydrocortisone and sent me on my way. Over the past 3 years I've delt with the pain on and off and I developed a fingernail sized skin tag to boot. About 4 weeks ago, I had a severe bout with my "little friend" that was almost unbearable and I decided I had enough. I called my doctor, he looked at me and said it was an irritated skin tag....so I went to a dermatologist that said he couldn't remove the skin tag because it was a hemerroid....then I was sent to a gastro doc and said I should see a surgeon. After all of this running around with a sore butthole and bleeding with bowel movements, I got an appointment with a surgeon. I researched and I told him I think its a fissure....and if my bunghole was a clock it was at about 10 o'clock. He checked it out and said "yep, its a fissure..." it was chronic due to the scar tissue he could see and the skin tag was a sentinel pile. He said I had the fissure because my second spincter was too tight and I was not getting proper blood flow for it to heal.....he basically called me a tight ass! LOL! So he recommended the surgery to fix it. My biggest fear was incontinence....he assured me that he has done so many of these proceedures that I won't have that problem. SO.....I had the surgery on January 4th....it is now the 8th and I almost feel normal.
I get to the day surgery center and I have to admit....I was scared to death. I never had surgery before and I've read the horror stories about this surgery, so I was a little aprehensive. Honestly, the worst part was the IV! I almost passed out....I'm 33 year old male that wrestled and played football and I almost lost it from an IV! So after that I walked down to the room and met the nurses and saw the doctor.....it was go time! I laid on the bed, they put warm blankets on me....then the anesthesiologist asked me if I wanted to holf my oxygen mask.....then I woke up in recovery. I looked down and I was in cheese cloth boxer briefs with my man parts 90% visible. I stood up and felt the gauze in my crack....and I was checking myself out, my wife walks in and instantly starts laughing! I figured i have to make lite of the situation so I started dancing singing "baby got back" as I shook my ass for my wife....the whole recovery room was laughing!
When I got home I was kind of out of it, so I slept all day and night until the next day. I woke up and the first thing I noticed was....NO PAIN! I was almost in shock. I got up....bent over infront of my mirrored closet door to check it out....and all I saw was a nice looking...no skin tag hanging butthole.....with guaze in it. Then I remembered that the doc said the packed gause will come out with my first BM. The whole day went by...no movement. So I took Miralax and ate 3 fiber one bars through out the day.....I only took one pain pill and I was fine....off to bed I went. Then....it happened, I got the urge to go! Almost with the chills of a fever from fear, I sat down....then.....poop came out....and it didn't hurt! The guaze came out and poop followed and it felt normal. The only pain I experienced was from wiping after. I have a little leakage after my BMs, but the doc said it will be that way for about a week, not to worry. So hear I am....sitting, typing this 4 days later just to let you guys thinking about this surgery to just do it. I have a good pain tolerance, but I'm a big baby when it know its coming! I think I should be 100% in about a week. I actually went out last night and had a couple of cocktails!
In Summary:
1. Had a fissure, developed a skin tag and had pain and blood with BMs on and off for 3 years
2. Was sooooooo nervous to have the surgery, I almost backed out
3. Had the surgery (Fissurectomy and LIS)
4. Was NO WHERE as bad as I thought....the worst pain was a 2-3 out of 10
5. Recovering nicely
6. Want everyone to know that if a surgeon that knows what he is doing preforms the operation, it is easy peasy!
Nick P

Topics: 1

Re: I had a fissurectomy and LIS...it was not bad!

Postby KarenG » 08 Jan 2012, 12:34

Hi Nick
My partner had his LIS on the 4th and his experience is almost identical to yours. Including me laughing at his hospital pants Image
Glad its all going so well for you x
KarenG
Fibre Addict

Postby Morningstar » 08 Jan 2012, 15:38

Congratulations Nick, it is always great to hear a great recovery story!!! I have to admit my operations was similar to yours with virtually no post-op pain but I am taking a little longer to recover from the fissure. Still, can't understand for the life of me why I haven't done this any sooner! I am not sure if you should be rushing to cocktails so soon, but whatever works for you I guess :)!
All the best,
Morningstar
Ps. I also used to wrestle as well :)!
Morningstar
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2012, 18:00

Thank you for posting Nick. I think #6 is the biggest factor when having LIS...

Postby Crazyderek » 08 Jan 2012, 18:27

Tomorrow is 1month for me and I am very happy as well. No pain and back to normal routine
Just take it easy I did make myself sore after 1 week by overdoing it
Crazyderek
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2012, 19:24

Congrats to you too Derek!! You're right about taking it easy- for sure! It's surgery and as we all know that area isn't like any other. It takes a little time, and pampering yourself but nothing like the pampering you have to do before surgery just to survive or make it through each day...Lol

Postby Sue1962 » 09 Jan 2012, 07:15

OMG you don't know how comforting these words are as I get ready for my surgery in 6 hours. I am so anxious and hungry!!!! Just reading these posts make me feel better. I am so ready to be over all of this!!! Thanks again everyone for posting positive experiences!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 09 Jan 2012, 07:37

I think this is a very common experience with the surgery Sue. I think that the uneventful are much less likely to post in this forum. I'm so grateful for the folks who have taken the time to do so :)

Postby Nick P » 09 Jan 2012, 15:08

Honestly, for me, the only pain I experience is after a #2.....it is similar to sore muscles, not sharp fissure pain. On day 5, I only take 3 Advil Liqui-Gels after a #2. I see the dic on Wednesday to see how its going. Its killing me not being able to work out!
Nick P

Postby Lincoln » 18 Apr 2015, 14:20

Thank you for these encouraging posts I'm scheduled for 4/21/15 and was close to canceling today but still in pain from this fissure. I need to be brave and get this lis done to move forward
Lincoln
Salt Bather