AF worse during period?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

AF worse during period?

Postby DutchGirl » 31 Jan 2012, 07:17

I've read a couple of of old posts about this topic but just wondering if many ladies find their AF gets worse during their period and any idea why this might be? Any tips to help with this?
I've realised its a problem now but not sure why - wondering if its to do with becoming dehydrated/ retaining water during period?
Thanks!
DutchGirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: AF worse during period?

Postby workingonit » 31 Jan 2012, 09:37

I have found this in the past and now am very fastidious when it's that time of the month. I think the problem is two fold. On the one side there is more blood in the tissues and water retension in that area from hormones, and this can make the tissues more easily irritated.
Also it gets 'damp' shall we say, down there, and the anus should be kept dry as much as possible. So I change my pads more often. This seems to have helped.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby workingonit » 31 Jan 2012, 19:36

I noticed something else.
So today I had a bit of blood again. So, I marked it on the calendar and noticed that I bled at the same time last month and the one before that...
It's at the very end of my period.
Also that darn sentinel I have seems to always get swollen at the same time.
I'm not sure how to counteract this. I think it has to do with water retention. I could get some of that god awful dandelion tea I guess.
Maybe an icepack on the sentinel?
Perhaps now that I've noticed a pattern I can head it off at the pass next month!
:)
anyone have any tips on getting rid of water retention or what makes a sentinel get swollen?
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2012, 19:51

Yes, my fissures get worse during my period too... I think the hormonal changes and the pelvic congestion from water retention and thickened uterine lining all contribute, as well as the tendency to have even more trouble with diarrhea and hard stools... Add to that the pads and the irritation they cause...
Woi... I haven't got a good solution for the water retention, but yes, a bit of ice does help the sentinel calm down for me... I never apply it directly though... Through a washcloth or something to buffer the level of coolness... A little aloe vera that I store in the fridge also helps calm the sentinel too...

Postby workingonit » 31 Jan 2012, 19:56

Thanks Jr.
I actually have a small ice pack that was originally for my daughter's lunch box, but is now for my rear! Lol
:D
I'll try the aloe too. I love aloe vera. Too bad it won't miracle cure AFs like it has other things for me.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2012, 21:13

tee hee... whatever works!
They actually do make a product called Anuice that is kind of a nice idea because it only goes down to a certain temperature when you freeze it, which prevents any risk of burns you can get from ice. It's insanely overpriced but customers swear by it, particularly for hemorrhoids, but I've heard some AF sufferers get a lot of relief from it too.
And of course since everything is available on Amazon, here's the link...
http://www.amazon.com/Anuice-Approved-Medical-Hemorrhoid-Treatment/dp/B003840WFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328065703&sr=8-1

Postby Sue27uk » 01 Feb 2012, 12:59

I was told that it gets worse during a period because everything inside you get more swollen (suppose thats the water retention etc!). This puts more pressure on the area of the fissure :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby workingonit » 21 Feb 2012, 12:00

Gosh darn it!
My period started late today, and heavy because of the nifedipine. And wouldn't you know it? A small spot of blood on the tp this morning.
Well. What can you do. I'll drink more water and do less, try and relax with a book after lunch. homework can wait til tomorrow.
It must be the swollen tissues down there. I know my sentinel always seems more turgid/swollen at this time of the month too.
Also, I had terrible nightmares last night. I was seriously stressed and tight when I woke up. in one of the dreams I was trying to have a BM. I hope I wasn't straining in my sleep or something ridiculous like that!
so far it's not as bad as last month, so I can take comfort in that. (touch wood and whistle!) :)
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 21 Feb 2012, 12:32

Tanya...
sigh... I so know how you feel... With every period I go back to square one again... I hope this one isn't too too bad for you...
Not fair! Nightmares about BMs!!! You'd think we could all at least catch a break when we are able to grab some sleep!
A good book sounds like the perfect afternoon...

Postby workingonit » 21 Feb 2012, 16:08

Thanks jr,
not too bad really. more discouraged than anything. But my GP said today that I am still quite anemic. So I will have to take the iron pills she recommended last time. I took my first with lunch today.
Cross yer fingers that they don't constipate me!
On the bright side, she is sending my referral on to another CRS who I looked up, but she happens to know and says is very good. Said it would be a long wait though...
'good things come to those who wait'??
how are you doing?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP