pelvic floor stretches

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

pelvic floor stretches

Postby workingonit » 09 Feb 2012, 12:29

Silly me,
I thought if I could find some way to relax the muscles down there and I was careful...
Well I am definitely feeling worse today.
I was doing these pelvic floor stretches I found in Amy Stein's "Heal Pelvic Pain" book. It is an excellent book, but maybe not for people with an AF who don't actually have pelvic floor dysfunction other than too much tension.
But on the bright side, before I started to do the stretches I spent a couple days just doing the breathing and "drop" http://www.pelvicphysiotherapy.com/Exercise4_Drop.html
The drop is in no way about pushing down though. It is about releasing tension. In the book they talk about it as that moment when you relax to urinate.
I like too the way she describes yoga breathing. You breath into the belly because your lungs extend down that far. When you breath into your chest, you are actually compressing the bottom half of your lungs so aren't getting the deep breath you thing you are. So when you breath into your belly, don't lift your shoulders. You should feel your belly expand and the sides of your ribs.
When I was doing her yoga breathing and "the drop" as often as I could, I definitely felt improvement those two days. Perhaps it was just coincidence. I don't know. I will continue with it and hopefully get past this setback.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: pelvic floor stretches

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2012, 15:50

I don't know if it's something with the moon or what, but after a few days of some relief, I'm back to hell again today...
So sorry to hear you've had a setback :(

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2012, 15:50

Oh, and I agree about the breathing!

Postby rasmith3530 » 09 Feb 2012, 19:34

The Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hahn talks about that sort of mindful breathing as part of meditation.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2012, 20:50

rasmith
oh, I love him and his writings and teachings... So much peace to be found there. I highly recommend his books, and his monastery has a lot of awesome free videos online.

Postby workingonit » 09 Feb 2012, 21:28

I feel better than I did this morning.
Took it easy this afternoon.
Sorry you are having a bad day to jr!
I found more anal dilation stuff on the yahoo group and am putting it together again. More by 'Jon'.
I'll get it to you in a few days.
I will have to look into this monk. I like to listen to stuff on mindfulness when I am down.
Thanks!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2012, 22:51

Oh, great... Thanks, Tanya... Glad you're doing better. Been a horrible day for me... Huge setback, again.
If you go to pvom.org and scroll down far enough on the page to get to the videos of his US tour, those talks are really awesome and he speaks English while on that tour so there is no trouble hearing through a translator. Some really great mindfulness talks there.

Postby rasmith3530 » 10 Feb 2012, 00:02

I've got over a dozen of his books. He's a great writer and teacher. I would love to spend 6 -12 months at his school/monastary in France.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2012, 10:28

rasmith...
yes... so would I... His teachings are so beautiful and so full of peace ... What I love most is that deep wisdom comes through in beautiful simplicity... so wish I could have gone to one of his teachings when he was in the US. His closest stop to me was about 50 miles away... I think I was probably sitting in a hot bathtub trying to survive another day of fissure hell.

Postby rasmith3530 » 10 Feb 2012, 11:01

I am currently suffering from an unknown neuro-psych disorder, and one of the symptoms is that I get so far in reading something and I begin to lose comprehension, but I have found some good podcasts online plus some talks on CD. One of my more recent finds has been a two disc set with four talks by Pema Chodron, a Buddhist nun, titled "Practicing Peace in Times of War." I believe she also has a book under that same title and one is based on the other. The talks are not a reading of the book itself.
Anyway, the CDs are such a calming reading. I've converted them to digital format so I can play them on my MP3 player and then listen to them as I'm soaking my bum in the tub. Very peaceful and refreshing.
I am getting the Eastern belief that there's a definite connection between where our mind and spirit are at, and what is happening to our body, and I am thinking that there may be something to looking into healing the spirit/soul as a way to heal the body, and that includes our AFs.
That said, I would not believe that one can "get happy" spiritually and then fill your stomach with garbage while expecting a good outcome. I'm thinking that there has to be a point of balance between all things within and around us, and that if something is out of balance, it will have an effect.
As I mentioned before, I do have this neuro-psych thing going on, so these may merely be the ramblings of a crazy person, but they seem to make sense to me. YMMV.
Have a pleasant day!
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist