Thank you!!!!! A success story...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Thank you!!!!! A success story...

Postby jerrymac » 31 Dec 2011, 15:51

I have been away for awhile but have still been checking the forum nearly day. I have been doing remarkably better. In fact, I was afraid to post anything so as not to jinx myself. I saw the CRS last week and he said he saw no evidence of an active fissure. He told to keep with the routine for several more weeks to be sure. I am not out of the woods completely but seem to have found a trail to daylight!
I was so down when all this started. Special thanks to Dawn and Dwarfs and others for the words of encouragement. I look back at some of my notes I made around thanksgiving that were terribly dark. I had asked Dawn is she was saint and I was not joking. She may have saved my life.
I would not have known what to do without this forum. The diet and healing tips were invaluable. My daily routine included: 3 baths a day, a dolcalax tab in the morn with a magnesium tablet and Vit C. Two doses of metamucil a day, tons of water, no red meat (in fact very little chicken or turkey either), lots of veggies, fruits and BEANS. A half dose of Miralax in the evening with a herbal decaf tea. I dropped all caffiene and alcohol. I used the Nefid (spelling?) cream 4-5 times a day. I also found a fiber supplement called Floralax that I used instead of meta on several occasions. Aloe vera juice, black cherry juice. Some of the routine seemed liked vodoo but I stuck with it every day for some 30 days.
I understand that I beat the odds and I am very grateful. I also realize that my diet will never be the same. It wasn't that bad in first place. I was not a pound overweight and did watch what I ate - but I got complacent and I paid for it. Never again. I also realize that many of you are still suffering and my story might make you sick! There is hope - my fissure was borderline acute/chronic as it was 9 weeks old before it was diagnosed (by product of a hemmi). My AF was at 3 o'clock on the butt dial - not sure if that was good or bad. I guess I had the diagnosis and found this forum in the nick of time.
For those of you with the dark thoughts and the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness - don't give up! I am proof that something good can happen. Again, I realize I am in a lucky minority but folks like Dawn are also proof that things will get better. Thanks again for this forum and for those of you who spend time on it helping your fellow sufferers.
jerrymac
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Thank you!!!!! A success story...

Postby Guest » 31 Dec 2011, 23:28

Thank you so much for posting:) Your post will give hope to so many! It's very encouraging for others to see that there is hope and healing conservatively is possible.
You have really touched my heart... Just knowing I helped...I'm speechless.
This place saved my life and got me through one of the hardest times in my life. I can honestly say I was about as low as I have ever been when I came here. It really feels good to know I have helped someone.
Best of luck and continued healing!

Postby sailorgal » 11 Feb 2012, 06:42

Thank you for your post, jerrymac. At this point I'll take any words/signs of hope. Admittedly, I initially found this forum a little overwhelming when I first visited reading how variable the healing can be. I am in my 3rd week post fissurectomy with botox injection and the roller coaster continues regarding pain, emotions, and function which has been a little discouraging. I feel the surgeon and nurse were not forthright with recovery time and prognosis. I laugh to think they initially responded to my question regarding how much time will i miss work with "some people miss anywhere between 1-3, sometimes 5 days". I am doing nearly everything you mentioned. However, I have tried a glass of wine with dinner a couple times and 1 cup of caffeinated black tea in the mornings. I'm trying to not get too fanatical with my diet restrictions. But, do you think one glass of wine/caffeinated tea is ok? And how many weeks/months did it take for your pain to resolved? Thanks again for your words of encouragement.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby jerrymac » 11 Feb 2012, 14:14

I think a glass of wine or caffeine is OK. If you are doing all the other things right it won't put a dent in it.
I was about two months healing.
Still I am very careful. Diet and hydration have changed forever. Good luck to you!
jerrymac
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3