setting up appt for gastro dr.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

setting up appt for gastro dr.

Postby sputnik » 03 Feb 2012, 15:45

Okay i finally phoned general surgeon's office to set up appt for gastro dr. Seeing him(general surgeon) on feb. 10. While there i will ask about a crs. I know he will check me good and very nervous about it as he hurt me last time in nov./11. I'm also very nervous to see a gastro dr. as i just did a colonoscopy in april and hate to do another one. I also hate travellling and it will be a 5 hr. drive. I know i have to address my ulcerative colitis and also the fissure. They both give me a burning bum. If the dr. using a anascope will it hurt and do you have to clean out your colon.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Re: setting up appt for gastro dr.

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2012, 16:32

A doctor should always ask you if you are okay with him using a scope. If you have any anxiety about that an anoscopy can be performed by giving you light sedation and a local anesthetic first. People with fissures often cannot tolerate anoscopy without sedation. You would not need to clean out your colon for an anoscopy. Remember with these doctors it is your body and your choice in terms of what you consent to. You never have to submit to anything you are uncomfortable with. The gastroenterologist may want to perform a sigmoidoscopy on you to take a look at the left side of your colon as well as your rectum and anus. Or he may want another full colonoscopy. Different doctors have different preferences. If they do feel you need another colonoscopy, keep in mind that CRS also perform these, and in your case might be a good idea since a CRS would have more experience knowing what to look for in the anorectal area than a GI doc would, especially if you have a hard-to-see fissure. Just some things to think about.
So glad you're making some appointments so you can get on the road to some relief!

Postby grannymaria » 03 Feb 2012, 17:34

Spudnik - they should give u instructions before ur exam sweetie.. hang in there n may God heal us all..
U can ask for small scope if as a regular size might hurt u further. God bless u all
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby sputnik » 04 Feb 2012, 01:19

thanks so much for replies. I don't if the dr. will want to do one but i think i'll say no if he asks. Savaici posted a link for me on aftermath of anascope and it scared me. I would of liked to do it incase i have an internal one and also to check if i'm inflamed due to my ulcerative colitis.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Postby sputnik » 11 Feb 2012, 16:23

okay seen the general surgeon yesterday and is setting me up for appt for the gastro dr. for my ulcerative colitis, he said wait is about 6 months which i knew. while there i mentioned my fissure, he checked it in nov. He looked and moved things around and it hurt only slightly. But he still saw the fissure that i thought was gone. He said its small and under the skin tag yet i couldn't see it there at all. But after i left was burning and more at night. I'm glad i found out but hate the burning after. I think he may of opened it alittle, but i felt no sharp pain when he was looking. I quess i'm back to the fissure diet because i was eating anything except chips, popcorn and seeds. I was having some hard stool but figured i'm not pushing. I think this flared up 2 weeks ago, i hurt with a bm and checked and blue hemmi so just figured it was the hemmi burning but i think i may ofreteared it at that moment.
sputnik
Salt Bather