Hemorrhoids Diet - What Types of Fiber Are Good?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Hemorrhoids Diet - What Types of Fiber Are Good?

Postby Sprite » 11 Feb 2012, 13:03

I have what I believe to be hemorrhoids. Have had them for 10 years now, since a bit after giving birth to our son. There was never any inflamation that I can recall however, and I don't believe this is an anal fissure. It is normal skin looking, just coming a bit out and smaller area for stools to come through.
Only real problem for me has been the pooping of course. If I am not very careful in my diet, I have a terrible time getting it to come out.
I have been eating 2 fiber bars a day, and this does help, but am concerned if this is the right thing to be eating. Basic fiber bars, like Kellog's Fiber Plus ones. Was eating another brand's bars for a while, but after almost breaking a tooth on a piece of walnut shell I stopped eating those. But am I doing the right thing in eating these fiber bars each day? Can they make my stools larger and harder to pass?
I just ordered a bottle of Miralax from Amazon.com, as it seems to be highly recommended here.
Sprite

Topics: 1

Re: Hemorrhoids Diet - What Types of Fiber Are Good?

Postby Savaici » 11 Feb 2012, 18:06

Welcome. Not sure if you have hemmies or a fissure. Your GP would be the best one to help with a diagnosis, at first.
I use Metamucil for extra fibre. And drink enough water to keep things soft. Also use Milk of Magnesia. Not sure how much fibre in the bars you are eating, so best to research a little as to how much you need for your body size. You do not want huge BMs. You do want them the consistency of toothpaste or soft serve ice-cream.
Good luck.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby sterlingbird » 11 Feb 2012, 21:00

There are 2 types of fiber...soluble and non soluble. The soluble will cause slick and gel type BM. It will add some bulk but not as much as the non. The non adds bulk and softens the stool. I find that if I get too much non it is painful when having a BM so I do both with the emphasis on the soluble. I also take raw psyllium. It is a non soluble fiber laxative. Punch non soluble fiber food list in google and it gives you food that will be in both kinds. Remember 2 things. What goes in must come out. If it is hard and jagged that is how it will come out and everyone is different. Do what works for you just start out SMALL. I am an addict so naturally I think more is always better. I learned the hard and painful way that is not true since finding my fissure:)
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby grannymaria » 14 Feb 2012, 18:12

Great info! Thanks
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13