Physical Therapy for Pelvic Floor-anyone with experience??

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Physical Therapy for Pelvic Floor-anyone with experience??

Postby aeg » 16 Feb 2012, 15:01

Hi All,
I recently had botox done to see if that would help my fissures. I personally have decided to try all conservative methods before having the LIS. I have not had any relief from the botox and my surgeon, who is the chief of colorectal surgery at a well-known hospital, was shocked that I was still having pain. I don't have pain during a BM, but the achy pain for hours afterwards. So, she recommended that I see a physical therapist that specializes in the pelvic floor. Has anyone on here ever seen a physical therapist for this? I guess it makes sense that maybe they could teach me exercises to relax the muscles, but I had just never heard of it. If anyone has experience with this type of therapy, I'd really like to hear about it. Thanks so much.
aeg
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Physical Therapy for Pelvic Floor-anyone with experience??

Postby workingonit » 16 Feb 2012, 16:56

I have a book on it by Amy Stein (http://www.healpelvicpain.com/). You could always go get evaluated by a PT. Are there other symptoms you have to indicate a pelvic floor dysfunction? I mean we are all tight back there, but that's cause we are sore and in pain.
But I don't understand why your surgeon was in shock that you still have spasms after botox. That seems to be quite common from what I've been reading from other people on the board here.
Sometimes it takes a few weeks after you get the botox for the spasms to get better.

Have you done a search on here about pelvic floor therapy? There are a bunch of topics old and new on it, that can give you more information.
I liked this one by Cheryl;
http://anal-fissure.org/t2260-pelvic-floor-dysfunction?highlight=pelvic+floor
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: Physical Therapy for Pelvic Floor-anyone with experience??

Postby Val76 » 19 Feb 2012, 07:25

I am doing PT for the pelvic floor. I am getting massages and they press the trigger points to release the muscles form tightening. I am reading also "A headache in the pelvis" at the moment....very interesting if you are suffering from pelvic pain and pelvic floor disorders !
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6