Hi guys....newly diagnosed AF

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi guys....newly diagnosed AF

Postby sag2011 » 23 Feb 2012, 08:49

Hi all,
I'm a first time mum who was diagnosed with a chronic AF secondary to childbirth. :(
It's been 9 months of agony and spasm and general dread of going to the toilet!
I saw my Dr who diagnosed it and I've started GTN ointment. I'm really hoping it works.
I'm here just to chat to, and seek advice from ppl in the same situation. Not really a subject that is easy to discuss over a dinner table!
Thanks for having me Image
sag2011

Topics: 1

Re: Hi guys....newly diagnosed AF

Postby Baba » 23 Feb 2012, 10:04

Hi :) I got my first fissure after my first baby too, only that's 29 years ago! You have been suffering for a long time - my slowest healing fissure took 7 months - I thought that was long enough!
I have recently started careful self anal dilation and find that helpful. It is the first time I feel hopeful about healing; I feared I might have to submit to the scalpel this time. Once you've had one fissure, because of the too tight muscles the next one comes easier, so after healing one must always be vigilant with diet etc.
It is also helpful to squat while going.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Re: Hi guys....newly diagnosed AF

Postby workingonit » 23 Feb 2012, 14:01

HI sag,
Welcome!
The other thing that helps the most is to make sure your BMs are soft like toothpaste.
I do this with metamucil and prune juice and a spoonful or two of olive oil.
Magnesium can be helpful too as a mild muscle relaxant and if you take enough, will also soften your BMs.
I wouldn't be surprised if my fissure isn't ultimately from childbirth too. I had a forceps delivery and my AF is at the front (anterior) of the anus. I wonder if the episiotomy didn't compromise that are.
Ah well.
hope you heal quickly!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34