Fistula surgery done yesterday Feb 29th

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fistula surgery done yesterday Feb 29th

Postby katbhuve » 01 Mar 2012, 22:11

I had my anal fistula surgery done yesterday. I am waiting on my first BM. I don't have much pain but I see some pus when I changed my dressing. Is this normal?
katbhuve
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Fistula surgery done yesterday Feb 29th

Postby Arafat » 02 Mar 2012, 00:09

Hello katbhuve! Its good to know that the surgery is done and that ur prolly home resting. I had my fistula surgery about 7 weeks back and i am doing quite well. As most of us who underwent fistula surgery found out that post surgery isnt terribly painful.
The exudate u mention is absolutely normal in most cases and will be there for a few weeks as you heal. The dressing ur changing regularly will ensure that ur healing from the base upwards so that there are no complications. I was advised by my doc during the initial weeks to take a gauze pad and clean the wound to make sure no white skin developed on top of the wound which would hamper healing.
At the time of cleaning, i also used a dryer on cold to make sure there wasnt much moisture in the wound. It is normal for the wound to be somewhat moist for abt 4 weeks after which it takes on a dry texture. I used to take sitz baths with 4 table spoons of salt on a regular basis after which i would go through the cleaning process. Dont move much for the first couple of weeks even tho you might feel ur able to and while you should clean the wound on a daily basis, dont rub too forcefully. Just gentle dabs a few times after BM's and after sitz baths should be OK!
BM's are scary but rest assured you will not experience much discomfort if you relax and take deep breaths. The first couple of Bm's make u cringe but are not really painful. Within 3 days u should have BM's without any significant discomfort. After a BM wash the area with soft non alcoholic baby wipes or wet TP, hop into a sitz bath for abt 10 minutes and then clean the wound gently with gauze pads or baby wipes. Once the cleaning is done, use the dryer on the area. Are u on stool softeners? U cannot afford constipation now! I took ispagula husk and Milk of Magnesia for the first 10 days or so to keep stools soft.
Let me know if you have any other questions! Heres to a happy, problem free recovery:D
Arafat
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Fistula surgery done yesterday Feb 29th

Postby katbhuve » 03 Mar 2012, 18:17

Thank you so much for the information Arafat!!
I had couple of BM after the surgery and I they are not that painful as I thought it would be. I am using Miralax to get my BM and after the BM and sitz bath, I am cleaning the area with 0.9% Sodium Chloride irrigation solution and applying Dibucaine ointment. I hope doing the same exercise for a month should put me in a better position.
Thanks again for the info and I hope you get better soon.
katbhuve
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4