back from CRS ...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

back from CRS ...

Postby tiredofpain » 05 Mar 2012, 15:29

Hi
I had a visit with CRS today and guess what he recommended LIS Image He did not even consider a discussion on Anal Dilatation and said LIS is the gold standard. He did say incontinence is the risk and he has not seen any.. He said incontinenece risk is blown up in the research... He seems to think this is going to go fine.. 72 hours I should feel starting better..
March 23rd is the date set.. I am so nervous guys Image
TP.
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: back from CRS ...

Postby workingonit » 05 Mar 2012, 15:44

Hey tp,
did you have confidence inhim?
So he thought lis was the way even without spasms?
It surebwould be nice to have it all over with.
You have a right to be nervous, i mean it is surgery. But it's a pretty simple procedure.
What do you think?
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby tiredofpain » 05 Mar 2012, 16:09

I am so confused right now Tanya ! He seems to think this is no big deal. Obviously it is not , it is my butt we are talking about !!! I was freaked out with the examination and might have overreacted too.. I am just so confised.. The date is set though 23rd.. I do want a second opinion as well... lets see.
What he said was, since I have been suffering for so long 10 +, last 4 being the worse., he did not even want to try the traditional treatments and go straight to surgery.. Has anyone got a recommendation like this.
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Davo » 05 Mar 2012, 16:17

TP,
I am scheduled for LIS on the 14th March - to be honest i cant see the benefit of AD over LIS.
LIS certainly is the procedure of choice and has a huge sucess rate with risk of incontinance being less than 1%. It seems the average healing time is 2-4 weeks and the procedure takes less time than it does to make and drink a cup of coffee. Just take a look at peoples experiences on here - there are very few bad ones
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 05 Mar 2012, 16:51

I would DEFINITELY get a second opinion. I have been suffering on and off in pain for the past 5 months and went to my CRS last Wednesday for another check-up. He recommended that I have LIS surgery ASAP. On Thursday, I called another CRS to get a second opinion and he was able to see me on Friday. After we discussed my symptoms and history, he looked at my fissure and said that he didn't even want to discuss surgery at this point! He came up with a different game plan and said that if the fissure wasn't gone in 6 weeks, we would start to discuss LIS. However, he felt very optimistic that I wouldn't need surgery (70% to 80% chance). He said that LIS is always optional (i.e., not life threatening), so he wanted to make sure we tried everything else first. Obviously, it IS a quality of life issue, so if you are just sick and tired of being sick and tired, then LIS may be the best option to just be done with it. But, it was amazing to me how two different CRS's came to completely different conclusions and recommendations. It made me decide to give it one more chance before I opted for surgery. Get a second opinion!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Davo » 05 Mar 2012, 17:33

TP,
When you say you have been suffering for 10+ do you mean weeks or months?
If you mean weeks then yeah i would leave things a little longer before opting for surgery. If you meant 10+ months (which is what my answer was based upon) then i would not see why a second opinion is necessary
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 05 Mar 2012, 17:48

In my opinion, a second opinion never hurts. The worst they can say is that they agree with your current CRS. If they do, at least you will know for sure that you are making the right decision.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Savaici » 05 Mar 2012, 20:30

My opinion too, this fissure....
I have seen one CRS and wouldn't let him near my rear with a ten-foot barge pole.
And though AD is not the gold standard, so-called, if I can have it and not have someone snipping at my anal muscle, I will give it a go. Having had surgery in that region three times before, I will do everything I can to take another route. It's not incontinence I'm worried about, it's the recovery from surgery that is my worry. Not many here are up and at it after LIS as wecc was after SAD.
Just my thoughts.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222