Help: Docusate or Miralax or both?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Help: Docusate or Miralax or both?

Postby AFdude » 23 Feb 2012, 10:44

So my doc has prescribed docusate and I've been taking 2 a day for 2 months now. It hasn't been working cosistently It'll work for a couple of days and then I have not-so-soft stool for a week or so and I'm back to square one.
I've read on this forum that MiraLax is great. Has anyone moved from docusate to MiraLax with positive results? Is anyone taking both of them?
I think my biggest issue right now is trying to get soft stool - every time I have hard (it doesnt look hard actually, its just not soft) stool, it's just a huge setback.
I drink lots of water (3-4 litrs per day), have 1 salad everyday, take citrucel at bedtime.
Any help or pointers appreciated!
AFdude

Topics: 2

Re: Help: Docusate or Miralax or both?

Postby workingonit » 23 Feb 2012, 17:51

I've read of quite a few people switching to miralax from ducosate. It works for most people, but there are some who find it just gives them the runs.
I haven't actually tried it myself as prune juice and metacmucil seem to work fine.
I think miralax works over the long term.
Just do a few searches for posts here and you'll see what i mean.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby workingonit » 23 Feb 2012, 18:00

I just looked it up to be sure, and it's true. My hubby bought cookies several months ago that had propylene glycol in them and i got the runs from eating one.
turns out it is almost the same as polyethylene glycol, the stuff in miralax.
So IMO take a small bit first to makes sure it works for you.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby pat123 » 07 Mar 2012, 15:24

Miralax works very well for lots of folks here. It worked like gangbusters for me. 1/3 dose with light lunch and 2/3rds dose with dinner.
Lots of water and a moderate diet...
good luck!
pat
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 07 Mar 2012, 16:08

Miralax has changed my life! Stool softeners NEVER worked for me, no matter how many I took. My CRS told me that they do not work for most people, so he told me to start using Miralax. You do have to experiment with the dosage to see what works for you. I started with a full dose (the recommended daily dose), but found that it made my stool a little too soft and runny. I now use a half dose every morning (in addition to 9 grams of Benefiber) and my stool is now soft and well formed (a perfect 4 on the Bristol Stool Scale!). My CRS also said Miralax was safe for long-term use, so I plan on using it for life.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby ouchouch » 09 Mar 2012, 12:52

Do you take it only in the morning? The problem I have, like most sufferers on here probably, is the start of the stool and the pain of getting it out if it is even semi-hard. I'm trying to figure out how I can consistently have the start of my bowels soft and am thinking taking Miralax after breakfast might do the trick? ANy thoughts?
ouchouch

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 09 Mar 2012, 14:38

I asked my CRS the same question and he told me that it didn't matter when you take it, as long as you take it every day. Personally, I take a half dose EVERY morning with my breakfast and it does the trick. It may take a couple of days (up to 3 days) to get into your system before you notice a difference, but once it is in your system it should continue to have the same effect on your stool on a daily basis as long as you take the same dose. The key is to experiment and find the dose that works for you. Some people, like myself, take a half a dose. Some take a full dose, or more. You also need to make sure you are getting plenty of fiber (I highly recommend Benefiber over Metamucil; Metamucil made my stool too bulky) and lots and lots and lots of water.
So, here's my daily routine:
Breakfast - 1/2 dose of Miralax; 3 grams of Benefiber
Lunch - 3 grams of Benefiber
Dinner - 3 grams of Benefiber
I also get an additional 20 to 25 grams of fiber in my diet (i.e., high fiber oatmeal, Fiber One cereal, Fiber One brownies, etc.) and lots and lots and lots of water.
Remember, fiber without plenty of water = concrete (i.e., hard stools).
This routine has made my entire stool (from beginning to end) soft and well formed. I hope it works for you!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Baba » 09 Mar 2012, 22:18

ouchouch wrote:Do you take it only in the morning? The problem I have, like most sufferers on here probably, is the start of the stool and the pain of getting it out if it is even semi-hard. I'm trying to figure out how I can consistently have the start of my bowels soft and am thinking taking Miralax after breakfast might do the trick? ANy thoughts?

Adjusting the Miralax dose may do the trick, but if it doesn't, I've been using a small water enema ( 2-4 oz) for that purpose. It softens up that first stool so it comes out easy. :)
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3