Progress report for those looking for optimism

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Progress report for those looking for optimism

Postby buttbegone » 14 Mar 2012, 13:31

Hi all,
It's been about a year since I started lurking and then posting because of my fissure. At the time it seemed like it was the end of my world. It was all consuming and every day and most nights revolved around severe, crippling pain, food, bm's, and what I could and could not do, physically and mentally. It was difficult on my family and my doctors certainly were not much help. With the help of this forum I attacked this thing in an all out battle. Every waking moment was spent strategizing how to kick this thing. Did loads of research, lost 30 lbs, did a dietary 180 and used over the counter meds when necessary (mostly advil; couldn't do laxes). Sitz baths, fiber, water and exercise were my friends. Oddly enough the BIGGEST change for me was a breakfast cereal: Fiber One Caramel Delight. I was experimenting with the breakfast thing, going through every cereal in the aisle and this one calmed my system down almost immediately after trying it. I eat it with almond milk. Eating it several times a day when my system couldn't handle anything else on some days. Anyway, that was the major break through for me but everything else I did was definitely a contribution to the war. I can now happily say that the fissure seems to have passed into the past. I have been pain and blood free for 5 months. It was important to know my dietary limits, otherwise I found the bm's went back to moderate pain with minor bleeding, but the days of food fear are definitely over (touch wood) and I have managed a burger or two, a beer when I want, and have had no back sliding into fissure world. Thanks to you all for your support and amazing energy and information on this site. It has put at least one person back into the regular world. -Daniel
buttbegone
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Progress report for those looking for optimism

Postby jax » 14 Mar 2012, 13:44

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear about your success. How long did you have your fissure until it felt healed. Are you still following a fairly strict diet?
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby buttbegone » 14 Mar 2012, 13:57

Hi jax, the fissure started in early Feb of 2011 and I consider "healed" to be the end of November 2011. So that's about 9 months of really working on this little "project." I now follow a diet that at the time seemed very strict: fruits, veggies, cutting out sugars, the usual stuff mentioned here, no alcohol, no meat except turkey and fish. But now if I have a craving for something I can indulge. The girl scouts just did their cookie sale and I did my fair share of contributing to their cause. I had some great bacon over the weekend. Had haggis on Burns Night, etc. But the new diet has stuck and I enjoy it. Losing 30 lbs has made me feel great and that's probably more of a dietary focus for me than the possible fissure relapse.
buttbegone
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby workingonit » 14 Mar 2012, 16:41

That's great BBG,
so happy for you!
I love success stories they totally cheer me up!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Baba » 14 Mar 2012, 19:12

Congratulations for beating the monster. :D What you said about "attacking this thing in an all out battle" - that is so true and necessary!
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby sailorgal » 15 Mar 2012, 21:44

thank you so much for sharing your story! :)
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8