LIS on Friday - Back to work on Monday?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS on Friday - Back to work on Monday?

Postby Lauren XXX » 20 Mar 2012, 03:08

Hi Davo
We chatted about 2 weeks ago. Hope you remember! I'm glad your surgery has went well :) hopefully you can start getting your life back.
I was doing so well with the GTN, was on it for three weeks and I was at the stage where I was only a little sore during a BM but afterwards I had no pain and was starting to get my life back. But yesterday I went to the Docs and after just an EXTERNAL examination I have been left painful and itchy again :( I'm completely confused why my doctor chose to examine me if this is the pain I've been left in.
On a plus but she did say that it was looking better but I've got another few weeks to try on the GTN before they consider surgery.
How did you find the surgery procedure? I'm stressed because I have my university exams at the beginning of May and I feel like this has just came at the worst time imaginable!
Lauren x
Lauren XXX
Fibre Addict

Re: LIS on Friday - Back to work on Monday?

Postby Davo » 20 Mar 2012, 04:11

Hello Lauren,
Of course i remember you!!! :)
Firstly three weeks on the GTN isn't long enough to heal your fissure, you should be looking at a minimum of 6-8 weeks whilst maintaining a high fibre/soft food diet.
Unfortunately to get a good understanding of your fissure condition and to check whether you are improving or not you'll find that from time to time doctors do have to do an internal inspection. This normally does add to the soreness and irratation however this normally settles within a few days.
I feel really sorry for you suffering like this when you are at a stage in your life where concentration is essential to your study. If you ever need to chat or vent some anger please feel free to private message me and we can chat all night if it helps you get through this (remember the time difference though).
As for surgery the procedure itself is painless and LIS takes less time to carry out than it does to make and drink a cup of coffee. I asked my surgeon how long it would take him.. 15 or 20 minutes maybe? He responded with a smile and said, "Try about 4 minutes and you would be about right" However my whole procedure took around 30 minutes as he also carried out a full inspection to ensure i have no other issues affecting my fissure or any bowel conditions (I didn't)
I have posted my full progress to date on a seperate thread names 'My LIS Diary - 14th March 2012' if you wanted to read all the gory details!!!
Take care and take it easy
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42