Citrucel, I like it better than Metamucil

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Citrucel, I like it better than Metamucil

Postby alpinestrawberry » 30 Mar 2011, 07:43

I've been trying it out for a few days, because since the surgery I needed something to help get my system going. I was scared to try Metamucil again because of all the extra tearing it caused before the surgery. So I opted for Citrucel.
It may be a jar full of chemically modified crap and dye, but right now I'll take it. It's even giving me a flatter stomach. I had a little incision pain during this morning's BM but no blood. And no after pain. I'm still taking a half-to-one teaspoon of Miralax, but I hope to give that up, maybe in a month or few. I only need one dose of the Citrucel, whereas I had to take two of the Metamucil to get consistent results.
Anyway I tried searching the posts here for opinions on Citrucel before I bought it, but there really weren't many that I could find. Anyone else tried it?
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Citrucel, I like it better than Metamucil

Postby Stargaz3r » 01 Apr 2012, 07:25

I just started Metamucil Natural 100% inulin yesterday. Why did you feel like Metamucil caused more tearing? eek
Stargaz3r

Postby workingonit » 01 Apr 2012, 09:51

it's not available in Canada.
We just have benefiber and metamucil in drugstores, not counting the more expensive options at the health stores.
Stargazer, I was wondering about the inulin metamucil, let me know what you think after you've tried it for a while please.
Alpine, I found this on the citrucel;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_cellulose
not appetizing but if it works, who cares!
A few months ago I would have said the same about psyllium husks. I mean what the heck is that??
Well I'll tell you, it's related to a weed that I routinely remove from my garden. go figure! lol :)
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Baba » 01 Apr 2012, 21:27

Tanya I use inulin fibre by Metamucil called "Simply Clear". It's made from chicory root. It's like Benefibre, which I can't use because it's not gluten free.
I find the psyllium seed Metamucil too "hugely" bulky causing retears.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby workingonit » 02 Apr 2012, 09:27

Thanks Baba,
I think I actually need the bulking of metamucil right now, but as hormones change may need to switch later on.
... the dilation is definitely helping. Hard to get privacy though.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34