Second LIS and polyp removal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Second LIS and polyp removal

Postby shakeit » 03 Apr 2012, 03:41

Hi there
I had LIS last November to heal a fissure I'd had on and off for about a year and half. The first surgery halved the pain, then I was pain free for a month and then pain returned. My surgeon said it was a fibroepithileal polyp (part of the triad of chronic anal fissure i.e. the fissure, skin tag and enlarged papilae). Not only did I have pain but a real heavy feeling in my bottom and felt like I needed to go again and again. That bit I'm sure was the polyp.
So I went to have it removed and he also found the fissure was still there. So I had another LIS when the polyp was removed. I'm 5 days post op and feeling much better, hardly any pain. What I found wierd is that before my op the surgeon looked and said the fissure was pretty much healed, the only thing i can think of is that the part of the fissure not visible without a more indepth exam was still there! O well, main thing is I'm happier now and in healing mode. Also found out I had a vitamin d deficiency so it might help healing to boost that.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Second LIS and polyp removal

Postby workingonit » 03 Apr 2012, 09:08

Hi Shakeit,
I have one of those enlarged papilla too. Really don't want to have it cut off though. I will be thinking about it though after I am healed, if it doesn't go away on it's own.
I wonder if that is the pain you think might still be the fissure?
Also the fissure might have re-torn a bit when they did the procedure.
But yah, the main thing is that you are healing! Yeah!!
My GP says that most people suffer a vitamin D deficiency here, this time of year and we have similar weather to UK here on the west coast of Canada. The provincial health care here won't even cover a test for vitamin D deficiency! So it's good to take a 200-400 iu supplement of it during the 'dark' days.
I do find this keeps the head colds at bay.
Thanks for sharing your experience! What did your doc have to say about the papilla/polyp? Did he think it would resolve itself eventually? Does it make a recurrence of the fissure more likely?
My CRS is not very forthcoming with info. He's like 'maybe, maybe not' to everything I ask him. It's infuriating!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby shakeit » 05 Apr 2012, 04:29

Hi
Thanks for the good wishes! My CRS suggested i get the papillae cut off, which I did. Mine was quite large and now that its gone, I know if was causing a lot of discomfort/pain.
If the enlarged papillae wasnt causing any discomfort he suggested just leaving it, but it was quite bad and I also think it may have interferred with the fissure healing.
Are you post LIS? Sending good wishes your way for healing.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby workingonit » 05 Apr 2012, 10:56

Thanks for the info shakeit,
I haven't had LIS. I'm healing slowly the regular way but with the help of self dilation. It works, but it takes a while.
I get some discomfort and occasional pain from my papilla. It's not everyday though. So I hope that when I am healed it will recede to a size I can live with.
My crs didn't seem to think I should do anything about it, but that was kinda his approach to my AF too! :roll:
There is a TCM clinic near me that says they can fix all butt issues. So I plan to go there if I need to.
It's interesting that it hurts so little to have it cut off, but hemmies cut off hurt like the 9th circle of hell. The body is a wonder. Image
Thank you for the good wishes. They are always appreciated on this long arduous road to healing. :)
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34