Psyllium husk?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Psyllium husk?

Postby jr2 » 18 Apr 2012, 16:50

Hi Tanya
Do you have a health food store nearby? Since psyllium is psyllium, maybe they sell just plain psyllium there? Though I don't use psyllium, the health food store here has about 6 different companies that make it, all with no flavoring and organic. The only thing that differs is the different textures, some of them are finer and some of them are coarser.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby workingonit » 18 Apr 2012, 17:09

jr,
i did see some at a local drugstore chain. The dosage was bigger so I wondered if there was a difference in processing.
Always hesitant to rock the boat while healing Image
But I need to cut down on sugar so as soon as I am healed, I will test it out.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby jr2 » 18 Apr 2012, 17:27

Tanya...
Yeah, I totally get that about rocking the boat!
dosages do vary between brands. I think it depends on the grind and also how much fillers a product has. If it is pure psyllium, it is going to be different than if it has sugars or sweetener in it. Even with the Metamucil product, the dosage is different in their different psyllium products. The key thing in switching will be to compare the fiber grams across products to make sure you are getting the same fiber gram count across products.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Pilot » 04 May 2012, 20:14

Yes, I've had great results with the "Organic India" Psyllium Husk! I take it twice a day. I also take Dr. Mercola Probiotic, to get my flora back on track, and a Digestive enzyme also. This combination has worked great for me.
I definitely do NOT recommend Miralax, as is caused a horrendous burning sensation for me after every BM.
Pilot

Topics: 1

Postby workingonit » 04 May 2012, 21:09

Why did you choose that brand over metamucil?
Was it because it's organic, or because it is 'whole' husk, which I guess includes the seed as well?
How much water do you drink it with?
I'm not sure I want to stay with metamucil because of the sugar, but now I wonder about husk vs seed.
Do you find it tastes terrible?
found this chat link about it;
http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=38&m=2152224
Sorry about the barrage of questions, I hate to change things diet wise for fear I may mess things up. So I want to be sure...
Thanks!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Pilot » 05 May 2012, 10:37

Hi Tanya,
I had actually tried the Metamucil clear, last year and it was ok, didn't seem to have any side effects and mixed nicely with water.
I switched over to the Psyllium husk for a few reasons, my wife works in a health food store, and many customers and employees spoke good of the Organic India brand, followed with a Probiotic, and digestive enzyme.
We also patients of Dr. Mercola's practice, and he really explains the benefits, ( I can't post a link yet since I'm a newbie, but if you google "Dr. Mercola Psyllium Husk") he has a video and explanation.
The label reads "pharmacopeia grade, contains no sugar, sodium, cholesterol, fat or additives, gluten free"
I take it with a 12oz glass of water, you have to mix it for a while, and it is pretty thick going, down, but it doesn't have a bad taste.
I take the probiotic in the morning to aide the flora, and I digestive enzyme before meals.
I also take a colace before bed, just so the morning
BM is soft.
I was fearful too, to get off of the miralax, and switch my regimen, but it was a blessing to get off of that stuff, it literally burned me after every BM.
I'm not saying Psyllium Husk is the end all be all cure but it definitely helps me quite a bit, and keeps the BM's very soft and sort of lubricated. (sorry, it's kinda gross to describe all of this, but that's the effect it has on me)
I just bought a new container of the Organic India brand and will stay on it until this fissure heals.
Take a look thought, at the Dr. Mercola vid, and read the info on the page, it makes good sense.
I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction if Metamucil is working ok for you, as I know it's so very scary to switch up regimens.
All I can say is I've been very happy with the Psyllium Husk, and will continue with it. It has no side effects for me, and the taste is bland but fine, there's no foul taste or after taste. Just tastes kind thick and grainy.
I drink a lot of water every day, probably 80 - 100 oz, and try to do at least 2 warm sitz bath's to bring the bloodflow to that area to promote healing.
We've also been juicing, (not the citrus as that aggravates the situation) but greens, kale, romaine, carrots, pears) which is how I'm trying to get the fibrer. I've quite coffee altogether back in January 2012, and don't miss it a bit.
I'm also not eating any meat, (watch "Forks over Knives on Netflix) .
Anyway, hope that helps a bit, I know this is just a painful, and annoying situation that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Take Care,
Pilot
Pilot

Topics: 1

Postby workingonit » 05 May 2012, 14:35

Thanks Pilot,
I bought a new kind today and will swap out one of my spoonfuls of metamucil with it in a few days. Should be fine. I don't think it uses the seed, but it doesn't have additives. So that is a good thing.
I'd actually watched the mercola vid ages ago, and forgot about it.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Em » 05 May 2012, 15:01

I tried cetrucil but then was upset to see it contains sunset yellow - a colouring linked to cancer;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-362625/Food-colour-linked-cancer.html
I do not like any opf the flavoured fibre supplements.
I use psyllium husk from the health shop (I get capsules).
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5