LIS Surgery/Fissurectomy - After Care question/concern

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Surgery/Fissurectomy - After Care question/concern

Postby mike900 » 14 May 2012, 11:57

Hi,
I had LIS Surgery/Fissurectomy 4 days back and still have lots of Pain during BM. I read the forum many times I see recovery time depends person to person. I have a question and I could not find any mention of that problem in the site, so thought of dropping the question.
At the surgery site I noticed a bulbus kind of thing came up after surgery it was not there before. it is more or like pea size ballon kind of thing. I called the doctor office and the nurse mentioned it could be swelling of anal tissue, still having pea size thing i am not sure whether it is common or not. It is causing lot of discomfort.
If any of you experience such kind of thing please share your expereince.
Thanks.
mike900
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: LIS Surgery/Fissurectomy - After Care question/concern

Postby Davo » 14 May 2012, 12:56

Hi Mike,
Yep, if you read 'My LIS diary' on days 7 & 8 you will see i had exactly the same thing. Basically it was swelling at the incision point and whilst it didn't cause me pain it was quite tender to touch.
I don't think it is anything to worry about unless you notice puss or discharge coming from it.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby mike900 » 14 May 2012, 17:55

Thanks very much for the response. Just curious how long it took to disappear.
mike900
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 15 May 2012, 01:33

Hi Mike,
To be honest it sticks around for a while!
I am around the 9 week post surgery stage at the moment and there is still a small amount of swelling from the incision point. From memory i think the lump was there for around 3-4 weeks but it gradually got smaller during this period. Like i said earlier unless you see discharge, puss or an INCREASED amount of blood coming from the area it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Its just a mixture of swelling and excess scar tissure.
Whilst i am here there is something else i may as well mention just in case it causes you some concern in the coming weeks. In a few weeks time you may see some strange kind of red flesh sticking out of the incision wound which is quite tender to touch and can feel slightly irratated after a BM. This is known as granular tissue and is the body's natural way of healing an open wound. I was quite freaked out by the look of it at first as it looked as if some sort of organ was protruding from the incision wound. This can take around 10 weeks to heal and if you do experience it then dont worry as it is actually a good sign
Davo
Davo

Postby mike900 » 16 May 2012, 21:17

Davo Thanks again for the information, update on my surgery recovery: 7th day I started feeling recovery is progressing fine, I have cut down my pain medicine to Motrin. I stopped taking oxicotin.
I will continue to follow good diet and will not relax my food habits for another two weeks. From the forumns I see few people have setback even after two weeks.
I am taking Colace stool softner 100mg morning and evening. Metamucil in the morning. one spoon mineral oil at the night. I am thinking to cut down these slowly.
Drinking plenty of water atleast 8-10 glasses, any thing less than this is concern of hard stools next day.
Any how Dave any suggestions maintaining normalcy of stools, i mean soft. I am referring with respect to food and medicines.
Could you also share your any lessons learned during your recovery.

Later after few days I will share my LIS experience in detail in the relavant thread.
mike900
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 17 May 2012, 00:09

mike
You really should not be combining Colace stool softeners with mineral oil in your regimen. the ingredient in Colace will make your body absorb more of the mineral oil and is not healthy for you. Did your doctor instruct you to do this?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Davo » 17 May 2012, 01:48

Hi Mike,
Your medications are a bit alien to me as i am in the UK but i think colace is the same as Dulcoease (Stool softeners), Metamucil is the same as Fybogel (fibre supplement drink).
For me personally i did initially use Fybogel (Matamucil) but i was already following a high fibre diet with wholemeal breads, bran, etc. so the extra fibre just made me bloat and gave me wind. The stool softeners also did help with the consistency however in the end my only medication was Movicol (I think you guys called it Miralax) - If you are not already using it this stuff is great and keeps everything soft like a toothpaste texture.
So as to your recvovery...
I think what most people fail to understand is that LIS does not actually repair the fissure so when you leave the hospital after surgery the fissure is still exactly the same (if not worse) than when you went in. Therefore it is important to continue adhering to the pre-surgery fissure diet. What worked for me was eating fresh soups, so not the tinned variety but the ones with large chunks of vegetables, lentils and generally good wholesome food.
Also once you feel comfortable enough to do so start exercising and get the blood flowing. So maybe take a daily stroll to the local park, mow the lawn and just generally get back on your feet.
What also worked for me was using cotton wool dipped in warm water to clean up after a BM rather than using toilet roll or baby wipes. Then i cleaned up using a shower head afterwards - infection is the biggest risk following LIS so it is very important to keep things as clean as possible.
Finally dont strain - Certainly for a few weeks dont try any heavy lifting or any actvity that will cause any of your body to strain as this will have the same effect as straining during a BM.
Recovery can take a little longer if you have had a fissurectomy as well as LIS but look after yourself and your recovery time will be significantly reduced.
Davo
Davo

Postby rubius » 22 May 2012, 11:14

what abt the sitz baths?
after the bm i ususally go for a sitz ... but on cleaning after that i feel some fecal material has to be wiped from the incision site.
hw often do u do a sitz bath post op?
rubius
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Emm123 » 23 May 2012, 12:56

Ill just butt in here since the previous post asked about sitz. I'm doing it 2-3 times a day but for 10 minutes.
The first 2 weeks I did it 4 times a day for 15 minutes but verify with your doctor because I used too much salt and it caused a bad irritation that is still healing for me. I'm on week 3.6 now.
Emm123
Salt Bather

Postby rubius » 23 May 2012, 13:03

im not using salt.......just savlon(antiseptic) in the warm water...cleaning seems fine.
my doc dint quite detail on the temperature , salt duration o f bath
rubius
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?