What is wrong with me???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

What is wrong with me???

Postby Jenbug » 17 May 2012, 13:21

I keep reading posts about fistulectomys and how everyone has had it easy with them and in some posts never even needed their pain meds.
It's thursday and I'm still in the tub crying and screaming in pain. I can't sleep through the night because of the constant burning and stinging of internal packing and stitches (both dissolvable). The pressure is so intense I catch myself wishing for the fistula back.
I keep wondering if its normal that I still can't sit up on the couch or on a computer chair. If I'm normal because I still need my vicodin every four hours. I keep waiting for the pain to go away and it just hasnt.
What is wrong with me????
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Topics: 23

Re: What is wrong with me???

Postby 44alegna44 » 17 May 2012, 18:37

Jen,
I'm so very sorry that you're in such intense pain Image . I can't offer advice to this issue as I had a lis, not fistulectomy. But, if I were in such dire pain after my surgery, that I did not expect, I would call my surgeon...he/she should be able to give you an indication of whether or not this is "normal" after your surgery...if not, they may want to see you to check things out.
Hope relief comes soon Image
Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jr2 » 17 May 2012, 22:21

Jenbug,
I can really only ditto what Angel says. Maybe the doctor can add in another type of painkiller to what you are taking and can also advise you on whether you need to be seen for the level of pain you are experiencing in case some kind of complication has set in?
i'm so sorry to hear things aren't improving yet, and also add in my hopes for relief for you very soon.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Jenbug » 18 May 2012, 15:07

So I called the dr today and he said I "had a damn good one" meaning that he had to cut 4" down into the skin to get to the track. He also said that I'm completely normal and that I should definately not be sitting or walking around much as of yet.
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 18 May 2012, 15:08

4" ???? whoa....... owwwwwwwww
Did he at least offer you stronger pain medication?
jr2

Postby Jenbug » 18 May 2012, 15:28

No, he said when I take the vicodin to alternate between Tylenol and ibuprofen to make them a little more effective.
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 18 May 2012, 16:39

Is that combination working better on your pain today, or has it not been long enough yet for you to know?
jr2

Postby Jenbug » 18 May 2012, 16:52

Too early yet to know. But today has just been a little better overall. I haven't had a bm yet, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how the combo handles the cut right on the sphincter muscle. I'm hoping to be sitting and able to do most things on my own by Monday since my husband is going out of town on Tuesday.
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 18 May 2012, 19:03

Hoping along with you that you start to see big improvements in the level of this pain.
I'm still dizzy from the 4 " number so you must have almost fainted when you heard that.
jr2

Postby Jenbug » 18 May 2012, 19:35

I had tried not to look at it at all, but I am aware of the open wound "flapping" with a breeze. But to be fair, he did tell me in my consultation that my fistula didn't take a normal track, it curved and went in deep and exited right up against my vaginal and anal wall. So this is just a fun week...but it's always darkest before dawn right?
Jenbug
Salt Bather