Some good news.....I think!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Some good news.....I think!

Postby Sue27uk » 24 May 2012, 13:57

Put this in the general section but think it should be in here so I've copied it over.
Well going to a different CRS has made the world of difference. For those of you who don't know, I have been suffering since last March. Went to see someone private today and he examined me. Was very good, and actually listened to me! He said that my fissure has healed but has done so in a strange way. There is what he called a slight track underneath the fissure site, so he has suggested under anaesthetic an examination, re-cutting the fissure to scrape and clean it, injecting botox at the same time and then using rectogesic while I have the botox. He reckons that will make it more comfortable and the cause of my discomfort is this slight track. I'm looking at this positively as at least I healed! This means I have the capacity to do so again and at least if the area is clean then I stand a better chance. I didn't ask but is this a fissurectomy? Anyone out there had this done and botox and know the recovery time? I only ask as I have to decide whether to pay for treatment (therefore able to choose when I have it done) or wait for the NHS again. Overall feeling more positive and hopeful again. Plus it has improved over the past week again and I finally feel like I'm winning! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: Some good news.....I think!

Postby 44alegna44 » 24 May 2012, 16:10

Oh Wow Sue...reading your update put a big smile on my face. Image Your relief came through loud and clear. Image There's nothing better than finding a physician who really spends time to listen and show genuine care and concern. Image
This does sound like a fissurectomy to me and I base that solely on information from this forum. I have not had either of these procedures, but I'm sure there are others around here who have had one or the other, if not both. Hopefully, someone will be able to offer you insight. But, just IMO and based on having surgery myself ( lis/tag,hemmie removal), I would say, if possible to give yourself 2 weeks estimated
recovery time. Just from this forum and my experience I believe that is
the ultimate timeframe so you can really rest and take proper measures
to assist with healing. The minimum amount of estimated recovery time
should be one week.

I'm really happy that you're feeling much more positive...that's a big player in this battle Image
Best wishes Image
angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby workingonit » 24 May 2012, 16:45

Actually I don't think it sounds like a fissurectomy. You could ask the doc to be sure. I remember Davo's doctor differentiating between a fissurectomy and just a kindof 'tidying up' of the edges of the fissure.
The rates for botox and fissurectomy quoted online are about the same as LIS as far as success goes.
It's great to hear you so upbeat! If you are confident in this doctor, then go for it! IMO.
It's not easy finding a doctor who doesn't suck :D
Will this be soon if you say yes?
Cheers,
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby sailorgal » 25 May 2012, 04:35

Hey Sue,
Congratulations on finding a better CRS and getting clear information. What you are describing sounds very similar to what I went thru. I got my fissure last november. Fissurectomy w/Botox 1/24/12 - INCREDIBLY slow, painful healing. Sought out 2nd opinion. When i was still struggling with pain/setback after > 3 months out from the procedure, decided to switch CRS's and undergo a 2nd botox injection (this time under local). Once my 2nd CRS was in there, he saw why I didn't fully heal - he said a layer of scar tissue healed over the fissure, creating a pocket - which was never going to properly fully heal because it of course was getting stuck with stuff (wound beds are suppose to heal from the "ground-up" so to speak, but if it can't - the edges will grow, kinda reaching for each other to at least cover/grow over it - not so effective). So, he debrided that with a scapel - didn't feel a thing during that or the botox (altho the local anesthetic shot definitely topped the pain charts). I was concerned that "cleaning up" would create more pain - he said it shouldn't (bcz my fissurectomy was sooo painful afterwards). But, my healing has gone waayyy better this time around - knock on wood. I had it done 2 Mondays ago - took the full week off work (probably didn't need the full week, I was able to get back to some private work on that friday) - definitely "turned a corner" during the 1st weekend out (was able to plan/go to a party and go to an out of town wedding with 4-hr car drive and day-sailing). There's been some incontinence issues (gas and minor leakage), but soooo much better and easier to deal with than the fissure pain. PS, last Saturday (5 days out) was my first relatively pain-free BM in 6 months - and it's been steady since then. That is shocking to me bcz last time i was in excruciating pain for at least 3 weeks after the 1st time i had botox-fissurectomy.
So, i think this is great news for you! Congratulations and I look forward to your full and complete recovery!
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby workingonit » 25 May 2012, 14:41

Sailorgal,
I'm so happy to hear things are going so well for you!!
I'll be knocking on wood too :D
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sue27uk » 26 May 2012, 10:16

Thanks guys, I spoke to my GP and he said it sounds like a fissurotomy (more of a tidy up of the area like you said Tanya and Sailorgal), he told me what this CRS doesn't know about this area of the body isn't worth knowing!So that gives me confidence. I haven't really had any pain for the last 7 days though, but am ringing for a price on Wednesday as if there is a channel/gap underneath which hasn't healed I realise it could easily go again. I would imagine it would be pretty soon if I wanted it, was given the option of paying or going the NHS route with the same guy so we shall see. The advantage of paying is that I could have it the start of my summer hols which means no more time off work, less stress recovering and hopefully lots of relaxing in the garden! The only problem I have been left with is a stinging pain right by what appears to be my coccyx. I asked him about it and he looked and said there was nothing there and may be the result of muscle spasm as I still have some. Someone mentioned about there being a pilonidal cyst but I'm sure this guy would have found it if there was one. May ask my dermatologist at my next appointment as aloe vera gel helpes so may be external. Image Apart from that life is good! Even saw the olympic torch the other day (for about 20 seconds!), a once in a lifetime experience which I totally enjoyed. Sailorgal, I am sooo glad you are feeling better and hope you keep on improving! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21