what to do

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: what to do

Postby 44alegna44 » 23 May 2012, 17:08

Hi Jr :D ,
I totally understand that you know best...your medical history and issues only you have lived through and are most knowledgeable about Image . My intentions come from a place of care and concern, I just hate to see a friend under such diress :( and of course, wish there was some way I could help Image . Just want you well and whole...and will continue to pray for your healing. Image
I did see my crs today for a follow-up of my new fissure Image . There is "some" improvement, but it is still "alive", as I presumed Image . All else has healed nicely...incision site, 1st fissure, tag and hemmies. So, I'm still in the dilemma of keep on keepin' on and hope for more continued healing on my own....or move forward with other means Image The fact that this fissure pain is much less than the first go-around is what's got me kind of slow on the trigger here. The scary fact is I'm convinced that one false move or misbehaved bm could set me back again in a flash Image . So, I think I'm gonna give marin boy's doc a call, and set up the appointment to have him review my history (having had a lis), and get first-hand information about SAD for me. I'd like to at least know from him if this is a route I could take without any additional risks being that I have had surgery before. This way I could at least have hopefully 2 options to weigh against one another, lis/sad, (botox is not a choice I feel comfortable with), if I choose to proceed with intervention.
I hope there were some peaceful moments in your day today....more than yesterday...but not as many as tomorrow Image
Always in my thoughts,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jr2 » 23 May 2012, 18:02

Oh my gosh, Angel, I hope I didn't come across as snarky toward you. If I did, please accept my apology. You have no idea how much the support, love and friendship of everyone here just overwhelms me, some days it's the only glimmer of any kind of hope left in my day. Please know how grateful I am for your continuous thoughts, prayers, support, friendship, and always the perfect emoticons.
I'm so sorry you haven't made more progress with the new fissure. I had so hoped it would have just been a minor setback that would resolve itself quickly. I think it would be awesome for you to just get an opinion from the SAD doctor since you are so close geographically. You just never know. I remember WECC saying that he met some patients at the practice who had undergone LIS previously and it had not been successful and the dilation procedure following LIS worked for them. It just provides you with perhaps another option to choose from.
I'm holding you close in my heart and thoughts and prayers too. I can't tell you how it affects me to know someone like you underwent the "gold standard" procedure, had the courage to move through her fears, and yet still is dealing with this. You are a strong, courageous, kind and inspirational woman, and I so admire how even with this setback you are moving forward, forward, forward, and looking for what to do next. I just wish I could give you a real hug today.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 44alegna44 » 23 May 2012, 19:26

Oh no jr, your response wasn't taken in any way that requires an apology Image at all. Actually, I felt terrible after I hit send thinking I perhaps over-stepped my bounds and sounded way too pushy Image, but I just felt so frustrated, on your behalf, regarding your unfortunate situation. So, please....we're all good Image
Thanks so much for your words of kindness and encouragement Image They mean sooo much and make me :D !
I'm glad to know about the patients who've had SAD after lis by wecc's doctor Image ...Bgan had asked his physician about balloon dilation after lis, and he also said yes, but that it certainly would require a review of patient history first. So, I am encouraged that there is a good possibility I could seek this treatment if/when I'm ready. Image
I did make another appt. with my CRS to check again my, hopefully, progress in 4 weeks. I know I can ride this discomfort out until then Image ...as long as it doesn't worsen in the meantime Image But, if the cloud that's overhead hasn't passed me by yet Image , and I do feel things get worse...I want to be prepared with a course of action and just do it Image
Thanks again for everything jr.....hugs right back
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 May 2012, 22:57

Hello to both jr and Angel.
Just wanted you both to know you're not alone. I'm almost 4 months' post-op (LIS and fissurectomy) - and two days' ago, I started feeling very sore again down below. While it doesn't have the stabbing feel that an AF does, it's still very sore. I don't know what happened - maybe the two, stingy bms I had? - who knows.
I'm going back to the crs to see about this. I just hope he says it's not an AF and that I still need to do more healing.
jr -- I really feel for you. It's such a tough, TOUGH place to be - the constant pain and not knowing how to handle it. I had thought about seeing wecc's dr., too - but I'm in CA, and it would be very, very expensive for me to fly across the coast - multiple times - for the exam, procedure, and follow up appointments. --- As to your case, I'll keep you in my prayers. This AF stuff can really bring down a person's life - I know that, first hand. PLEASE try to hang in there -- and I know you've been through so, sooo much. I'm sending you a hug!
Angel - maybe you're making progress. I sure hope so. But I totally know how you feel -- we get the surgery that's supposed to fix us, so that we can get past the pain - yet, it doesn't always quite work that way. Hang in there - at least you have some options (wecc's doc and/or giving yourself a bit more time to heal).
For myself, we shall see what the crs (crs #4) says tomorrow. I hope my problem is no more than inflammation or something minor. Yikes.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby jr2 » 23 May 2012, 23:34

Angel,
Image I'm hoping no further action is needed and you still heal on your own. Image But if you do find you need more treatment, it is great that you are exploring things now so you can feel like the decision you make feels like the best fit for you.
SweetBugaboo,
Thank you so much for your care and sweet comment. I'm so sorry you are having more soreness after you too made your own best decision for your treatment those months ago. I know what you mean about the cost to travel. I'm in the same boat, and even if funds were unlimited i just don't think i'm in any kind of shape to travel that far for treatment.
I am so hoping your visit just shows some irritation that will clear right up, and nothing more. Image
Please do keep us posted on your visit. Gosh, we all need to be here for each other through all this.
jr2

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 May 2012, 23:53

jr2 wrote:Angel,
Image I'm hoping no further action is needed and you still heal on your own. Image But if you do find you need more treatment, it is great that you are exploring things now so you can feel like the decision you make feels like the best fit for you.
SweetBugaboo,
Thank you so much for your care and sweet comment. I'm so sorry you are having more soreness after you too made your own best decision for your treatment those months ago. I know what you mean about the cost to travel. I'm in the same boat, and even if funds were unlimited i just don't think i'm in any kind of shape to travel that far for treatment.
I am so hoping your visit just shows some irritation that will clear right up, and nothing more. Image
Please do keep us posted on your visit. Gosh, we all need to be here for each other through all this.

Yes, indeedy - we do all need to be here for one another. Image
Thanks for your support and sweet comment, jr. --- I'll be sure to let you know how my visit goes. I'm so tired of having to see the crs - ANY crs - for this stuff. I know you're probably fed up with doctor visits, too.
Take care, and I hope you're able to rest tonight. I just took my Valium, so I won't last long here. --- At least Crs #4 understands that Valium helps to ease any spasms I might still have. My operating crs (the guy in Afghanistan) didn't do a thing about that. He's a nice guy, but he really kind of left me high and dry.
HUGS! - and I'll pray for you.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby jr2 » 24 May 2012, 17:41

Thank you for your prayers, Sweet. I'm praying your visit goes well (or went well).
I'm really glad your current doctor understands your discomfort and is willing to work with medications that ease things for you. It is soooo important to have that understanding.
Best wishes at the doctor. Yes, I too am worn out from doctors and exams and tests, etc. *sigh
jr2

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 May 2012, 21:06

jr2 wrote:Thank you for your prayers, Sweet. I'm praying your visit goes well (or went well).
I'm really glad your current doctor understands your discomfort and is willing to work with medications that ease things for you. It is soooo important to have that understanding.
Best wishes at the doctor. Yes, I too am worn out from doctors and exams and tests, etc. *sigh

Hi, jr -
I had an okay visit with Crs #4. He's a very nice guy, and I trust that he has years of experience. --- Okay, that said, he says that he does NOT see any signs of a fissure and that my LIS area looks fine. BUT, he did say that I have a "banjo string" (that's what he called it!) -- it's a tight area of skin, right by the small skin tag of my LIS area. It's partly due to the way I healed and partly due to my anatomy (I'm small down below, even though I'm not especially a small woman). --- So, when I have a bm, this area gets really pulled, which pulls everything in that spot - and that's what he thinks is bothering me so much.
Honestly, I don't know. --- He said there are two ways to deal with this . . . one is by clipping (relaxing) the area - and this area is more of an external area - it has nothing to do with the sphincter -- OR -- the other way is to mix hydrocortisone and Vitamin E oil into a paste, then apply it to the area, to see if it helps. Quite frankly, I cannot see how that would help. --- He also implied that I'm a slow healer - and that some people are just that way, slow to heal. He said that because I'm fair, with thin skin (versus, maybe being darker complected with a thicker skin), I'm the type that is slower to heal.
So, he seems reluctant to do any cutting on me right now. Apparently, I need more healing time. What that (more healing time) will do, is beyond me. I mean, if I have that tight (post-op) skin area, I can't see how giving it more time will solve anything . . . but I'm not a doctor, so I'll give the Vit. E paste thing a try.
Otherwise, I hope you're okay and hanging on over there. This has been one, looooooong journey for alot of us. I'll continue to pray for all of us, too.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby jr2 » 25 May 2012, 09:32

Sweet,
I think I know what he means by a banjo string, though I've never heard that term used to describe it before. Having a fair complexion and thin skin too I can relate to the healing issue, but it also means being careful with hydrocortisone, not to use it for an extended period due to potential extra skin thinning. I wonder if you might benefit from using the vitamin e oil to do some very gentle massage in the area several times a day to help loosen it up and give it some added circulation and elasticity.
At least the good news is you don't have a fissure though. What a relief! Still though, it's time for you to be able to move on from all this. Way past time, actually!
jr2

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 25 May 2012, 10:36

jr2 wrote:Sweet,
I think I know what he means by a banjo string, though I've never heard that term used to describe it before. Having a fair complexion and thin skin too I can relate to the healing issue, but it also means being careful with hydrocortisone, not to use it for an extended period due to potential extra skin thinning. I wonder if you might benefit from using the vitamin e oil to do some very gentle massage in the area several times a day to help loosen it up and give it some added circulation and elasticity.
At least the good news is you don't have a fissure though. What a relief! Still though, it's time for you to be able to move on from all this. Way past time, actually!

Hi, jr -
I'm trying the Vit. E - I have mixed a small amount of the hydrocortisone, but I think you're right - that the hydrocortisone might just thin things out, more -- so, I certainly will try massaging the area with the Vit. E. Can't hurt, I guess. --- When I was pregnant (with each of my pregnancies), I faithfully massaged Vit. E on my tummy, and I don't have a single stretch mark -- hardly matters, though, because I've had c-sections, which have done a number on my abdominal area. My point being, though, that the Vit. E really helped back then . . . so, it's worth a try. --- If nothing else, I guess I'll have to get that area clipped. Yikes, yikes, and more yikes!
I hope you're doing okay today and getting through the morning. Yes, it's time for all of us to heal.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?