One week later..... does it ever get better? Please say yes.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

One week later..... does it ever get better? Please say yes.

Postby dexlex1 » 12 May 2012, 05:26

Hi Everyone
I had an advancement flap last week to heal a chronic anal fissure. I have been in just as much pain since due to the muscle spasms. I am taking Methacarbamol, Movicol, having 3 baths a day in salt water, I use Anoheal (diltiazem), anusol creams and use a heat pad. I've even tried poppers to relax the spasms but they just leave me feeling dizzy, but the way I'm feeling I would try anything....
My life revolves around going to the toilet and having baths.
I honestly have no quality of life, I have a young son who is 19 months old and I am seeing less and less of him as I sit for hours on end in baths.
I know the next surgery they offer me will be LIS if this doesnt work and I am a young female and I really dont want to spend the rest of my life worrying about incontinence, but alot of you on here seem to be really positive about the surgery?
Anyone ever had their surgerys done at the Yorkshire Clinic in UK? Thats where I am an outpatient and I'm wondering if to elect to go to a different clinic (patient choice now) which is better? I dont have great confidence in my surgeon...
I just want this over with now, I am not strong enough to cope. I'm in tears every day. I pray things will get better.
Need support... I really am at the end of what I can cope with.
x
dexlex1
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: One week later..... does it ever get better? Please say yes.

Postby jr2 » 12 May 2012, 10:59

Dear dexlex...
I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain. An advancement flap is a significant surgery, so it isn't surprising that you are having so much pain in your recovery. Were you not given any painkillers?????? You're taking a muscle relaxant, but were you given medication to manage your post surgical pain????
It isn't surprising that you are having spasms given that LIS was not part of your procedure, and especially if you were not given anything for pain management. I'm not sure what you mean by poppers???
This IS going to get better. Tell yourself this every day, all day. You are already one week out from surgery, the hardest week, and it is in the past now. You will get your life back. You will heal. You will get back to enjoying your son. Just keep thinking about him and all the wonderful times you have ahead of you.
And if you have no medication for pain management, that is a disgraceful situation perpetrated on you by your doctor.. Call them and tell them you need something for the pain. Healing properly from surgery requires a solid pain management program. Yes, there still will be pain to experience, but it will be far more tolerable for you.
You can do this. Just take every moment, one at a time.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby dexlex1 » 17 May 2012, 01:32

I had Tramadol for a week and now I just have ibruprofen and paracetamol. I am going to ask for more pain relief tonight.
I have an appointment with my surgeon tonight, I'm hoping he will say its healing well, but I dont think he will because there are spots of really faint blood on the toilet tissue. I think the reason its not bright dark red blood is because of the Diltiazem creams? I also need to ask more questions about LIS becuase if the muscle wont stop spasming then I will never heal properly.
I got a tummy bug over the weekend too which didnt help recovery having to go to the toilet 4/5 times a day.
thank you for your support though, I think being positive is all I have left and so I am trying my best to think that it will get better.
thank you
dexlex1
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby greeklion » 26 May 2012, 00:27

I am very positive about the LIS surgery. I had it on May 18th not even 10 days ago and today May 26 I am well on the road to recovery. before hand i was in so much pain i hated my life i couldnt sleep at night i couldnt lay on my back or sit. I couldnt have dinner with my family because i couldnt sit at the table. Today just a few days later I sat at the table and was able to spoon feed my 11 month old son. It was wonderful! I had pain a few days post surgery but it was nothing compared to what I had before hand. Just get it done put it behind you and take your life back! thats what i did, no regrets. I want you to know I joined this forum just so I could tell you that, I hope it helps!
greeklion