My CRS just gave me something new to freak out about!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My CRS just gave me something new to freak out about!

Postby ButtCrack » 22 May 2012, 16:55

Hello All,
Been browsing this great and wonderful site again, searching for new info now that I am scheduled to have LIS/Fissurectomy in a few weeks.
I had been hoping to avoid the fissurectomy part of the equation, but the CRS said that she thought it was important to remove the ragged edges of the fissure to create a "cleaner" edge for healing purposes. Ok...this does make some sense. But then she threw in that she would then send the tissue she removed in "to be examined".
"Examined for what?"
"Well, just to be certain that it is not connected to some other sort of lesion."
"Like....?"
"A polyp, or possibly cancerous cells. It is not common, but it is better to be sure," etc, etc.
Yikes! Of course this whole painful adventure and the constant battles with constipation have occasionally had me thinking along the lines of more serious illnesses (especially every few nights right around 4:20 am...) but it is the first time that a doc has mentioned it. I had a colonoscopy that was clear 2 yrs ago. But now every time I have a spasm that reaches deep up to my tailbone, or I sit and it feels like I am sitting with a burning hot golf ball inside me on the side with the fissure, I get that dreaded cold feeling in the pit of my stomach...
I have been so happy since I knew that I was finally going to get surgery and get some relief! Sort of like, "Soon my life can go back to normal and I can be HAPPY!". Now I'm afraid they are going to find something worse. I have yet to come across other posts where fissures were ultimately connected to rectal (or other) cancer, but perhaps I haven't dug far enough? Anyone else's doctor mention post fissurectomy biopsy?
Thanks to any and all forthcoming responses!
Mlle Buttcrack (who is a Californian living in France, wishing that she could have the comfort of being in her native land for this ordeal, whilst still having the French Social Security continue to help out with all the bills!)
ButtCrack
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: My CRS just gave me something new to freak out about!

Postby Fissulyna » 22 May 2012, 17:39

Hey hey hey hey Image
She was silly NOT to say that it is kind of part of "standard protocol" ; ), at least that is what I was told , I bet they do it even without saying many times, since they want to cover "all " things and not get sued later for "omitting to test".
NOW - cancer is the least possibility IMHO, since fissure is a CUT and cancer is a LESION and they look completely different even to a "naked eye" ; )
Most often they send tissue to actually check for inflammation (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's etc etc ...) and cancer is really so far fetched that you should not dwell on that at all Image
If it makes you feel any better - they checked my tissue BOTH times with BOTH LIS surgeries Image - fist time I was told I had fissurectomy AFTER surgery and than told it was in pathology lab 2 weeks later casually "thrown in" as a part of post op consult LMAO - so really, please try to relax and concentrate on your healing Image
Best wishes for fast and forever healing Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby 44alegna44 » 22 May 2012, 18:40

Hi BC,
My "tissue" was sent off to pathology also...I had to sign that "permission slip" right before surgery...so don't think twice about it really, no need to worry. Just status-quo Image My crs called me I think week two post-op with the results (all clear) Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby ButtCrack » 22 Jun 2012, 18:07

Dear Fissulyna and 44alegna44 --
Just wanted to say thank you for having answered my post. Your responses were sweet and comforting when I read them. I was just still so kind of freaked out pre-op that I forgot to respond.
Now nearly three weeks post-op, sitting easily at my computer -- something that I have not been able to do for suuuuuuch a long time -- and awaiting my follow-up appt on Monday.
Glad you two got the "all clear"! Thanks again.
ButtCrack
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1