from hemorroids to anal fissure!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

from hemorroids to anal fissure!

Postby honeybee » 14 Jun 2012, 12:18

hi all...
just want to share.. i am depress and confused, well.. maybe mad and angry as well to what am i experiencing right now.
i just had a hemorroid operation like 8 weeks ago. while recovering frm my operation my BM is fine, suddenly during week 4-5 i started bleeding again. although not that much the sight of blood still very disturbing.
my doctor said i've develop anal fissure and might need a second surgery Image . recovering frm my hemorroid surgery is hel. the pain is almost unbearable and i cannot imagine going through another surgery! Image
now everytime i have my BM there will be a line of blood at my stool. it didnt hurt as bad but the sight of blood can really put me down. the feeling everytime i get out frm the toilet can really crushed my spirit for the whole day (and at the moment the bleeding is like almost every day) i long for the day that i can go to the toilet without seeing red.
i feel so frustrated and tired. sometime i am really convinced that i am sinking into depression. i'm trying very hard to fight the negative feeling. i have 5 children, the youngest is only 1 and 2 years old. i often woke up at night watching them sleep and cry myself to sleep again. dealing from hemorroids to anal fissure i have lost a good 10kg in the past 2months. i really want to avoid surgery again, i do all the necessaries from sitz bath, to galons of plain water, oitment and oats to fibergel.. but at the moment nothing really work.
my doctor says if i didnt do the surgery i will have skin tact, frankly i dont mind skin tact as long as there's no blood.
honeybee

Topics: 1

Re: from hemorroids to anal fissure!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Jun 2012, 14:50

Aw Honeybee,
Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear you are in such pain and suffering. It's so hard when you have children too because you are in such pain and unable to always dedicate your full attention to them and then feel that guilt too. You've had a real rough time of it for sure, having to deal with two issues and no wonder you're feeling so low and depressed... I've not had the hemorroid issue, but have heard that it is possibly one of the more painful anal surgeries, so take consolation in that most people on this site don't seem to experience the level of pain with LIS that hemorroid surgery seems to provide...and you're still at a relatively acute stage with the AF, so there's a great chance you can still beat this with all the necessary lifestyle changes you are currently making! You need some faith in yourself honey that are strong enough to get through this and you might NOT need further surgery!....
The weight loss IS normal. I lost nearly 20 kg over the last few months but it's not all bad! You're losing weight because you're also eating healthier. It will regulate in time....and as much as you hate it and as nasty as it is, the blood loss IS normal too. I've heard some B vitamins are really helpful with this?
Did you try Rectogesic or Dilitazum yet (Sorry they are the UK versions for I think, Nidiphine in US??) Anyway, they help relax your sphincter muscle to promote healing of the fissure. This really helped me a lot with the pain and everything....Go back and see your GP.
Admittedly I went back on anti-depressants to help me get through this but I am and always have been prone to depression all my life. They are helping in a huge way for me by regulating all my serotonin levels and just helping me cope. I've actually become really positive about it all in the last few weeks but I sank really low to the point you describe.
I'm not suggesting in any way that you take this option though, I'm just saying how they worked for me.
Perhaps chat with your GP about your low mood? They might suggest some form of counselling to help you through, other than that, do you have people to confide in and chat to about it?? Sounds to me like you just need a boost right now and some help to encourage more positive thinking....Be kind to yourself, do nice things for yourself and try to stop those negative and depressing thoughts from seeping through. Watch lots of funny films and try to laugh a little. It's really hard I know, but I hope you find your inner strength to do it and wish you all the very best in your healing x x
You know where we all are on this site if you ever need more encouragement and reassurance... Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: from hemorroids to anal fissure!

Postby beachbreeze » 23 Jun 2012, 10:38

Hi. I am glad to have found this forum. My story is a little similar to honeybee's it seems. I will share my story here. At this point I am just so afraid. Afraid that I have a fissure. Afraid I will never get better or be pain free. Afraid I won't get my life back. Afraid I will need another surgery at some point. Afraid that I won't be able to go back to work soon. Fear is awful - almost as bad as the pain itself!
Anway, here is my story.... I had a hemorroidectomy 6 weeks ago as of this Wed and have had a very slow recovery. The surgeon removed two entire hemorrhoidal columns that included both internal and external hemorrhoids, as well as an external skin tag. I became very ill the first 2 weeks after surgery with diarrhea, and they were not able to identify the cause based on blood and stool labs. This was significant diarrhea - as in every 30 minutes round the clock for 4-5 days. Since the surgery, I have had significant pain after BMs, including spasms, and up until this past week I was having BMs 4-6 times a day. My surgeon and I could not really think of a safe and effective way to limit this and felt it was a matter of the healing process. I was seen 3 weeks post surgery for a checkup and there was no fissure at that time. There was significant swelling and he said it would just take time.
This past week, things have gotten worse. For some reason, I had hard BMs on Tuesday. I eat a high fiber, whole foods, plant based diet, but I had tried adding dairy back in so that may have been the culprit. Needless to say on Tuesday night I had a hard BM. I don't think I strained. I try to be very, very careful about this. But it still was painful, and afterwards it felt like I had split something. I had increased pain the rest of the week. I assumed at first that I had just aggravated the original surgery site. But as of this morning, the pain actually seems to be worse and localized in the rear of the anal area which is not where the original surgery was. Pain after the BM this morning was really excruciating and it seemed different than the pain I've been having with the hem surgery.
I am having a hard time with BMs this week for some reason. I have added back in stool softeners, as well as some Miralax and Milk of Magnesia just to keep things soft and smooth. This has been a big change in my BMs from soft, smooth and frequent to harder to pass and less frequent - with no change in diet! I drink tons of water (on average at least 100 oz per day not including other drinks like hot tea). I take a tub soak after every BM and sometimes other times during the day for comfort. I am doing everything they told me to.
I did call my surgeon's office on Wed, Thurs, AND Friday to report increased pain. I never made it past the front office staff. They would take messages and talk to the doctor and then call me back. They repeatedly told me that it was "probably just still raw and tender from everything they did down there" and "to be patient" and that "the doctor said it will get better." I did ask about using an ointment and the message I got back was that the doctor felt that could slow down healing and to "just be patient." On Friday when I called I was tearful and said how much more painful it was. There are no doctors in on Fridays, so they are going to put a note on his desk for Monday. I asked to be seen next week and they told me he was booked and they would also put that on the note. I am just flabbergasted at their response!!!! They were very minimizing of my situation. They suggested that if the pain got any worse over the weekend to go to the ER. I asked what kind of doctor I would see and it would basically be whoever was in the ER. First of all, I have no interest in going to the ER and sitting for HOURS to be seen because I can't sit that long!!!! I also don't want a strange doctor poking around down there who has no idea what my history is. I am so frustrated and aggravated!!!!!!!
Anyway, I am still hoping that I just aggravated the original surgery site somehow and that it is not a fissure. The last thing I need is something new down there.
I am just wondering if there is anyone on here who has had a similar experience - slow recovery after a hemorroidectomy and/or a possible fissure developing after this surgery.
I am trying to stay positive, but it is hard at this point. I am physically, emotionally, and mentally worn out. I am tired of being in pain. I worry about being off work for so long. I have no leave left. I was told I could go back to work 2 weeks after surgery, but I had planned for 4-6 weeks. I am clearly not able to return to work this week at 6 weeks. The most I have been able to sit is 2 1/2 hours, which is also the most I have been out of the house. BM's are still so painful that I have to immediately get in a tub and then the pain lasts for hours afterwards. I just want my life back.
beachbreeze