Sitz bath question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Sitz bath question

Postby dcasp82 » 02 Jul 2012, 08:53

Hey all... My CRS told me just warm water and not to add anything. But some people swear by epsom salt.
Does anyone here put anything other than water in their sitz baths?
dcasp82
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Sitz bath question

Postby jr2 » 02 Jul 2012, 10:01

I dont think Epsom salts did anything very noticeable for me so I didn't buy any more when I ran out. I don't see the harm in trying them though. Anything that might add a bit more pain relief is always a welcome addition.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Jul 2012, 14:11

Hi DKasp
I don't use a Sitz. Don't have one but I do sit in a regular bath at least twice a day. It's an interesting question because I used Epsom and Dead Sea Salts regularly in every bath for weeks. Then I got a nasty bout of diahrroea (after anti-biotics) and I was sore for days. I started to wonder about the salt bath/ sore bum connection and stopped using the salts for a couple of days ( I read a posting from someone else on this site who had been adding the wrong quantity of salt and had been literally sitting in brine!!)...Have to say my bum cleared up fine after I ceased using them. (although AF still bit sore)....Point I'm trying to make is....I think the salts are good and I personally find them really relaxing, just make you sure you add the correct quantity to water ratio and perhaps use them every other day or something - rather than ALL the time like I did !! LOL. Also buy your salts on-line rather than small boxes in the stores. I buy bulk bags on-line and it works out so much cheaper...
Not sure about whether it actually cures the fissure but the warm salt water does provide a lot of relief for me.

Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Emm123 » 02 Jul 2012, 21:56

Its all up to what your Dr recommended really. I was told to use table salt and 1tsp for a bucket of water. If you're using an actual sitz bath for the toilet you'd have to use a lot less for instance.
Emm123
Salt Bather

Postby 357Magnum » 04 Jul 2012, 12:32

I alternate with sitz baths, not sure if i should, but I am getting results. Some days I put epsom in it, some days I use just straight h20, and sometimes i put pure aloe gel in the water for the soak. I have also put jojoba oil and a drop or two of tea tree oil in the bath. I also make them cool and warm, no real system, but I switch up the temps.
357Magnum
Fibre Addict

Postby dcasp82 » 05 Jul 2012, 11:26

Cool... Thanks for the input everyone!
I'll definitely give salts a shot. At this point I don't think it will make things any worse. I'll be sure to use the correct amount.
Just for the record, I don't use the sitz bath that you put on the toilet, I just use the regular bath. I call it a sitz bath because it's not like a regular bath. I really only allow my butt to be submerged since - from what I've read - the whole point is to get the blood flow to increase in that area so as to increase the amount of nutrients at the site of the AF. Having other body parts in the water seems to defeat the purpose since blood will also then be flowing to those body parts as well, thus diluting the amount of nutrients flowing to the AF.
Though, the above is an assumption I've made based on reading various articles. I could be wrong.
dcasp82
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 05 Jul 2012, 12:28

Yeah, I don't use a toilet sitz either. I actually feel like those basins put too much pressure on the anal area. I sit in the bathtub too. Good luck, and let us know how you like the salts!
jr2

Topics: 15