Some good news.... I think!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Some good news.... I think!

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Jun 2012, 11:50

Suckdiddlyucksflanders, can I just ask how long it was before you could return to work or normal activities? It's just work are not keen for me to be off for jury service and then get this done. Can see their point due to the time I have had off in the previous year, but at the end of the day its my health and if I get it done now I have summer hols to recover more (as I work in a school) :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 02 Jun 2012, 18:00

Hi sue, I had the procedure on a thursday and was off until the following Thursday. Worked that Friday but over the weekend the pain was pretty strong so I thought like you and said its my health so took that whole next week off. Almost two total. I can understand how they feel as well but I would just be honest and say this is what I'm dealing with and if your like me, it's the most painful thing you've ever dealt with. This IS more important.
I can't believe how similar are stories are turning out. I too was pain free for close to three heavenly weeks before the surgery. I did it because I trusted my doc and I was thinking long term. If I did this now and never had to deal with one again because it finally healed I was in. Again, to be honest there were days after the surgery I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life but now that I've finally turned a corner I know I made the right choice. I hope your pain isn't like mine but if it is know that it WILL get better. I was actually walking just a few days after surgery as doc said to do as much activity as I could tolerate. Walking helps my stress, clears my head, gets the blood flowing and all around improved my outlook. I do think you need to listen to your body and rest when it needs but also push it a bit when you can. One other thing I'll mention is my doc gave me a nerve block during surgery so when I woke up I had NO pain for close to twelve hours. That really just helped deal mentally because I could prepare for the pain as the block started to wear off.
Finally, don't be nervous for the actually procedure. You'll be out before you even see the OR. I was 10 times more nervous for my colonoscopy than I was this!! Please feel free to ask any other questions.
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sue27uk » 04 Jun 2012, 14:05

Thank you! Will do. I'm just waiting for a date now, been doing a bit of research on the procedure and it said it is sort of a semi LIS. No one in the study I looked at suffered any incontinence and only 2 people had to have further surgery. It was successful for 98% of people who have had it so I am positive! Still slightly nervous but its only natural I suppose. Fingers crossed. Just need to sort this stinging pain in my coccyx now, although it seems to be external as it eases with cream. Hope all is good for you, will update soon :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Sue27uk » 08 Jul 2012, 07:25

Hi guys, just thought I would update this a bit for those of you asking. I had my operation/procedure yesterday. He re-opened what he termed as a fistula on the site of the fissure, basically it had a tunnel underneath so he cleaned it out and injected botox to help healing. He did tell me to use rectogesic too which I haven't done as yet but intend to start tonight. Not had the dreaded first bm yet, but have had movicol and lactulose and drinking lots so fingers crossed all will be ok. Bleeding has stopped and only have discomfort sitting for a long time. From what I have experienced so far, its the best thing I could have done! Plus it obviously hadn't gone away, so my weeks being pain free was lulling me into false security. I have started a thread in the surgery section, so will update there. But I hope you all are doing well and are healing Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby restoremybody » 19 Jul 2012, 12:13

Sue how's it going now? I am still not healed :( though CRS said maybe 90% but having pain eveyr bm this week. :(
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20