Re-Tear AFTER LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re-Tear AFTER LIS

Postby longordeal » 20 Jul 2012, 20:59

Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the prospects for healing of an anal fissure if it recurs AFTER having LIS. I had an LIS and fissurectomy over a year ago, then Botox. It all healed up about nine months ago, but now it appears the fissure has reappeared. Fortunately, the pain is nowhere near like it was the first time around. My doctor says that is because the internal sphincter no longer spasms because of the LIS I had. He just put me on Proctofoam, which I have to say is kind of a placebo.
My question is, does anyone know about the prospects for natural healing when you've already had an LIS? It would seem logical that the fissure would be more likely to heal on its own since there is already low resting pressure and the muscle is relaxed due to the procedure. Has anyone heard anything from their doctors or in medical literature supporting or contradicting this?
Thanks!
longordeal
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3