A quick question re Botox

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

A quick question re Botox

Postby Tryingtokeepcalm » 20 Jul 2012, 06:41

Hello,
I had Botox for a fissure (and an injection to sort some internal haemorrhoids) last Thursday (8 days ago). Inevitably, the discussion aound what to expect was a bit vague (a rather upbeat CRS, I sense).
8 days in, the pain is reduced, but I am still getting sharp pain with each BM and lingering discomfort (not acute) for some hours after. Plus a small amount of bleeding on each BM. It is a lot bette than it was, but...
At what point should I consider the Botox to have failed and move on to the next stage (surgery)? The CRS is saying no follow-up appointment for 4 weeks. Too long?
I know no two patients will respond in the same way, but is there a 'typical'? I'm (like everyone here) scared and getting a bit obsessed with the discomfort and pain. Any steer from anyone would help... I'm a 44-yr-old chap (living in London) and this is having a huge impact on me. Thanks to anyone who could advise. Take care.
Tryingtokeepcalm
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: A quick question re Botox

Postby ChrisM » 21 Jul 2012, 03:39

Hi Mate,
I am in the same situtation but slightly worse by the sounds of things, my main issue is that I cant really release gas. I had the Botox done 2 days ago and have noticed no real improvement, I hope that it will work but something tells me that its not going to! I wish id just opted for the full surgery now. Anyway, keep me posted - when did you notice things improving?
ChrisM
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Tryingtokeepcalm » 23 Jul 2012, 02:18

Hi ChrisM,
The weekend has been more comfortable. I'm still bleeding and there is discomfort during and after each BM. The mildest of pain is a big step forward - but I am really not taking it as read that things are sorted down there. Friday (+8 days after botox) was the last proper day of stinging I have had. The bleeding has been consistent ever since the proceedure (I was bleeding before).
I feel a tiny bit happier - this is manageable if it stays like this - but I sense I am going to need morre treatment... I have sent my CRS a set of questions by email. When I get an answer, I will let you know.
Hope you ae doing OK.
Tryingtokeepcalm
Fibre Addict

Postby ChrisM » 23 Jul 2012, 03:00

Glad to hear your coping better with it, my gas has slighly improved and I mean slightly, I still get the pressure feeling like I need to go all the time which is SO annoying.
I am starting to wonder if my problem is much more complex than I first thought, I have a lot of IBS symptoms, nausea and more. Had enough of it to be honest!
Anyway keep me updated!
ChrisM
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Sue27uk » 24 Jul 2012, 11:25

I too have had enough after 18 months!! I have IBS and it can cause pressure and all sorts of strange things to happen. Have you tried mebeverine to help? This eases spasms and bloating. I had botox last November. It takes about 1 - 1.5 weeks for the botox to take effect then some time for it to heal. In my opinion it wasn't overly successful, but it did improve things. I have recently had surgery and botox at the same time. Overall you need to give it some weeks to take effect and start to help. I wish you both luck! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Tryingtokeepcalm » 26 Jul 2012, 03:56

So now 14 days after Botox. My comfort levels throughout the day are much better. I have a BM first thing each day, there is discomfort and a manageable amount of pain that passes quickly. There is still bleeding (in the stools and on the paper). This is not changing much day to day.
There is mild tingling/ache/irritation for a few hours after each BM, but it's manageable (sometimes I take a paracetamol, but not every day).
I have been chasing my CRS for some answers on whether I should still be bleeding (and where he thinks that is coming from - the internal HMs, which were injected, or the fissure), plus his expectation of wht next if it doesn't improve from here.
I appreciate compared to some people, my discomfort is minor, but I do think the issue for all of us is managing expectation and my CRS certainly gave me the impression it would clear very fast (although he did say a second botox might be required). I'm hoping to get an appointment with him again in the next week (around the 3-week mark).
In the meantime, I am still taking Fybogel and stool softeners (2-3 a day) and being careful with what I eat.
Like so many of us, I am beginning to wonder if things will ever return to how they were (and in my case, if surgery is inevitable)... I will keep you posted.
Tryingtokeepcalm
Fibre Addict

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Jul 2012, 07:24

Hi Tryingtokeepcalm!
Just a thought: have you read any of the posts by Davo? He is also in London and had an unbelievably great CRS. In his posts he talks about his fissure, Botox and his eventual success with LIS. Here is a link to all of his posts:
http://anal-fissure.org/spa/Davo/285
If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see his very first post. You can then work your way backwards from there.
You can also just read his posts on his experience having LIS here:
http://anal-fissure.org/t4589-my-lis-diary-march-2012-fully-healed-in-4-weeks#71712
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Tryingtokeepcalm » 27 Jul 2012, 03:17

Thanks thisfissurecankissmybutt,
Really helpful. Gives me some hope. Good CRS lead too.
Still a bit stingy down there after the BM, but no bleeding today (for the first time in 14 days). I am wondering if avoiding the warm sitz baths is the key. I found they added to my discomfort after a BM and I didn't have time for one last night (and then, this morning, no blood, after a not-so-careful diet day too)? Hmmm?... Anyone else found that?
I'd say pain is 0.5-1.5 most days after and during a BM. It tends to last until lunchtime (so about 4 hours). Manageable, but not right.
Tryingtokeepcalm
Fibre Addict

Postby Tryingtokeepcalm » 10 Aug 2012, 14:01

So 4 weeks now since my Botox. Have been clear of blood for a week now, but still some pain during the BM and for a while after - generally manageable. THe CRS said he wanted to see me again in another few weeks before deciding if I need more Botox. he seems reluctant to go down the surgical route and says he can see it is healing...
Continuing to take movical each night and trying to watch my diet (to a degree). This stage is manageable, but I feel some way from being cured. But I am getting on with life and work (the sitting all day really doesn't help).
I think my decision will be to push for the surgery or go for another round of Botox (assuming I am not better by the start of September, which is my next appointment). Will keep everyone posted. I found your stories so helpful...
Tryingtokeepcalm
Fibre Addict

Postby mike802 » 05 Sep 2012, 09:57

i had a botox injection about a year ago, for my anal fissure and the results were worse. now my levator muscle in my left side rectum has stretch to the point of chronic rectal spasms.
i had an mri in may and they also found pudendal nerve entrapment.
mike802