Two years on, finally seeking support

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Two years on, finally seeking support

Postby canadianmaple » 05 Aug 2012, 04:19

Hello everyone,
I guess I've been especially down this weekend. I have a partner who tries to understand, but I think I need to speak with people who have been through this thing as well. Here's my situation in a (somewhat large) nutshell: I got this fissure two years ago. I tried some herbal remedy that I read about online, but that didn't work. Went to the GP, and tried that ointment that stops the spasming. When that didn't work, I started using Movicol. It's been a year and a half since then, and when I use two sachets a day, combined with the stool softener Colace (which I ship to the UK from Canada/US since I'm living abroad at the moment and none of the UK stool softeners worked for some reason.)
For a long while, my biggest concern was that I didn't want to stay on medication for the rest of my life. Two sachets plus 3 pills every day? It seemed too much. I eat well... fruit, vegetables and only whole grains. Occasionally I'll allow myself a dairy-free dessert. I don't drink. I've been to the hospital 3 times -- twice for botox and a follow up. Botox didn't work. On my last visit, the doctor said that there wasn't much else we could try (I'd also used nitroglycerin for 1.5 years, which they've now taken me off since it's not supposed to be used long term.) He didn't want to do the surgery because I'm so young (23). But I became quite confident that I wanted it, and planned to ask for it on my next appointment next month.
I went on holiday two weeks ago, and tore it open again. It hasn't even nearly healed, and now, I'm afraid there's a second one (I can feel pain on both sides... I don't know if that's possible with just one since I thought they ran laterally?). The medication isn't working as well as it used to, no matter what I eat. I'm thinking about just eating vegetables for the next week, but don't know how that would turn out. I'm afraid if there is a second one, the doctor will refuse surgery altogether.
As I said, just feeling really down. And a bit afraid about what it means for me if the medication stops working, or if I have two of these horrible things. And I've considered every diet under the sun, and I have no idea what's best for me, since I think I'm pretty healthy and it's not working. I'm going to go look through dietary tips for inspiration! If you have any guidance for me, I'd really appreciate it :)
Aly
canadianmaple

Topics: 2

Re: Two years on, finally seeking support

Postby Strangeworldaf » 05 Aug 2012, 06:44

If you are in Canada can you try the Chinese medicine..it helped one of the forum member.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: Two years on, finally seeking support

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Aug 2012, 09:51

Hi CM,
Forgive me if this seems a stupid question...but have you always seen the same GP? Has a Colorectal Surgeon been involved with your case?
Has a thorough examination or EUA been done on you recently??
It just seems to be taking so long for you and feels like no-one really seems to be taking your situation seriously.
I know LIS is the last resort for women of child-bearing age but the risk of incontinence is still very low and the surgery generally very successful and I know younger women that have had this because their fissures have got to stages beyond help from the cream and botox and they have needed the op to help them heal. There are also alternatives to the cream you've been using?
Your whole process seems very drawn out to me.
Can you get a second opinion elsewhere???
Your diet sounds OK to me and you do drink loads of water don't you???
Truly hoping you get some answers soon that can help end some of your frustration :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again