Soothing creams after surgery?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Soothing creams after surgery?

Postby boodles » 02 Aug 2012, 23:38

Hi all! I was wondering if any of you know if it's a good idea to use some kind of soothing cream after the LIS surgery? I'm starting to feel swelling after a BM (three weeks after surgery). I use some kind of special wet wipes, but I wondered if it's ok to use a cream? Or just grin and bear it? THanks for your input. :D
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Soothing creams after surgery?

Postby alpinestrawberry » 09 Aug 2012, 07:40

Funny no one has answered your question--maybe it would have been better in the general forum?
Anyway, after I had my surgery I called the doctor to ask the same question. Their recommendation was baby diaper cream--the thick pasty zinc oxide stuff. I think it was Triple Paste specifically. I still use the stuff once in a great while when I get a bit irritated (it's been close to 18 months since surgery for me). Works great as a barrier.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby teacherel » 09 Aug 2012, 16:27

Do you consider the surgery a success for you now that your 18 months into recovery? and have you gotten more fissures since ?
teacherel
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Aug 2012, 12:14

I used mixture of baby A+D cream (it is vaseline base with A and D vitamins - no zinc there , I personally do not like zinc but that is totally subjective - zinc is good barrier forming substance ) and aloe gel plus some extra vit A and E mixed in. I also used Balnol lotion for cleaning and it is very soothing too. You can also use natural oils like olive oil , for example , or that wheat germ cream or anything else known to be beneficial to skin and is mild - preservative , color and additives free and possibly organic !!!!!
BUT, the bottom line is - yes , you can use a cream to sooth the area Image , you can even use Nifedipine cream and such if you feel like you need them !
I personally used ALLLL of the above LMAO ; ) and IMHO it sped my healing !!!!!!!! Even my CRS was surprised with how fast I was healing after surgery Image
Wishing you fast forward healing Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby alpinestrawberry » 13 Aug 2012, 07:38

Hey teacherel--I do consider the surgery a success even though there have been times where I got more fissures. The episodes of getting retears are continuing to diminish. I rarely get a new one, and when I do, it isn't as painful, there are no spasms, and it's a single cut that heals in a couple of days. I really don't know what sets me off (diet? menstrual cycle does seem to play a role).
But it's a very minor problem at this point, whereas before surgery it was a disaster that was taking over my entire life. I was stuck with multiple fissures that would not heal. My only way to cope was Miralax.
Best wishes! This can be conquered :).
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

TRY VIRGIN COCONUT OIL

Postby Coconut Oil Healed me » 18 Sep 2012, 22:58

Try using coconut oil on your rear end. It does not burn and is completely safe that you can actually eat it or use in cooking. It is a natural anti-inflammatory. I was using zinc oxide - penatin cream. It did not work.
The coconut oil will soothe the swelling when applied several times a day. It does not stain clothing. It can be used on all skin problems like acne, cold sores, dry skin, itchy skin, etc.
You can buy it at a grocery store or health food store.
Coconut Oil Healed me
Fibre Addict

Postby boodles » 23 Sep 2012, 22:11

So, to recap the answers I can try baby diaper cream with zinc or with A & D vitamins, wheat germ cream, olive or coconut oil, aloe gel, or Nifidene cream.
Thanks for your great answers! I had forgotten I asked this question! :)
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Bambi » 02 Oct 2012, 16:50

Hi Boodles- My CRS recommended a cream called Calmoseptine to me at my post surgery visit. It has been a very good friend to me in the months past. I also use Balneol still as a second measure after regular wet wipe. It took quite a while for my skin down there to not be overly sensitive, particularly where my skin tag was removed. And over the past few months, I have developed some irritation in the area due to some chronic stomarch, loose stools, etc... kind of thing. All tests came back negative and I actually feel a little better. I had my surgery Feb. 2011. Today was the first day since before the surgery that I saw blood on the tp after a slightly difficult movement and needing to push a little. Good grief! I have tried not to panic and it helped me to read Alpinestrawberry that when you have a slight recurrence they dod tend to go away easily. I have had two more bowel movements (loose now of course...) with no particular pain or blood since this morning and I took a bath in salt and then put my Calmoseptine on.
It is available in some pharmacies that are in hospitals or just across the street. Or easily found online with Walgreens or Drugstore.com. I always have some in my purse just in case. It is a zinc base with some calamine and menthol. I like the feeling and it distracts me from the other irritation. It has gotten rave reviews online for wound healing situations in nursing homes, etc...as well, so I do see it as a good thing to put on after a nice long soak and then to bed.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Bambi » 02 Oct 2012, 16:54

I have considered my post surgery life to consist of what I call "princess and the pea syndrome" in that I can always tell if there is even a speck of stool anywhere and it irritates. Getting better though! And I sincerely think I have only recently begun to get over some probably true post traumatic stress issues from the years of difficulty with the fissure. That was why I was so bummed to see blood this morning when things were finally feeling pretty routine to me, but why I am also working hard not to panic. It doesn't help, that I have learned.
What did help clear up some lasting irritation? A week long beach trip to Cozumel where I spent 2 to 3 hours a day in sea water. I knew it would help!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72