Internal Fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Internal Fissures

Postby bes » 31 Aug 2012, 17:50

Hi,
I've been battling fissures for about a year now. They started about 2 weeks after I was treated with antibiotics for H.Pylori. I was glad to learn that H.Pylori was gone, however, I did not know how much pain in the butt the fissures are.
My fissure symptoms are weird, sometimes I have burning and itching feelings and sometimes I experience this really painful cramp in the anal sphincter. The most bothersome, however, is the pressure in the anal canal. Does anyone experience this?
I also have IBS which manifests itself as diarrhea or constipation - and this does not help at all.
Along side with fissures my body developed anal papillae. I think I have about 3 or 4 of them right inside my anal canal. My CRS just said that they are annal papillae and did not do any other tests as they are apparently normal body strictures. Does anyone here have papillae? How were they diagnosed? Should I ask my doc for a biopsy?
2 weeks ago I had a botox injection and I was soooo hopeful that it will help and relax the sphincter muscle. Although, I do think that I feel better down there, I still feel that I am not 100%. This constant anal irritation is really annoying and I don't know what to do about it anymore.
I am wondering if it could be something else and not just fissures with papillae. However, I had so many different tests done (a CT with barium, colonoscopy, endoscopy, capsule endoscopy, multiple stool tests, blood tests) and everything came back normal - hence the IBS diagnosis, which is also so very annoying as no one really knows how to treat this.
Did anyone here have experience with Botox? Did it help right away or did it take time? What is the next step if Botox does not work?
thank you all in advance!
-Bes
Last edited by bes on 31 Aug 2012, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added more details
bes

Topics: 1

Re: Internal Fissures

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2012, 15:36

Hi Bes,
I've had Botox 6 wks ago now. Its working great for me so far 😊 I also have a skin tag which I think is what you call a papillae. CRS says they only need to be removed if causing problems. Next step after Botox is LIS I'm hoping I won't need that but time will tell. I hope the Botox kicks in for you soon it can take a while.
Take care 😊

Re: Internal Fissures

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Sep 2012, 10:35

Hi Bes,
Good luck with all of this not-so-nice anal stuff!
Unfortunately, skin tags or papillae seem to come hand in hand with anal issues. I also have a few and was advised they are generally completely harmless and best left if not interfering or causing any problems/ pain. They tend to appear where there's been some trauma to the anal area (thrombosed piles/ fissures) so normally nothing to worry about. Mine do not bother me - they don't look great but I'm not too bothered about the cosmetic appearance of my bum just any underlying issues!
Your CRS will know whether they are a cause of concern for sure but they generally leave them alone as some can shrink overtime and removing them is allegedly quite painful (although I've not had that done)....
As for the pressure issue....I had the same! Didn't know what it was but whilst using Dilitazem cream on my fissure, I had this on & off for about 4 weeks. It felt like I was full of wind constantly or needed the loo, but didn't. I've since read that this could be the internal sphincter in spasm? It wasn't so painful just annoying for me.
I'm pleased to report that my fissure seemed to heal after going through this "stage" so hoping it's a good sign for you too?
Sorry can't comment on the Botox, although there are a few other posters who have been through this, some more successful than others, so worth researching.
I was set for Botox surgery but they found my fissure had healed and I was dealing with a Fistula instead! so completely different procedure.........
Hope everything works out for you :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again