Had my LIS surgery yesterday

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Had my LIS surgery yesterday

Postby Grateful Al » 14 Sep 2012, 16:46

First off, I want to thank you all for putting this forum together. Since getting my fissure in January, it has proven invaluable to me in managing my dreaded fissure. I wont go into the story of my AF but it began at the beginning of this year. As you all have heard I too learned to manage the pain and to some extent eating the "right" foods, I was able learn on how to manage my pain from horrific to terrible. After trying several things from my CIS including nitro...things sort of plateaud as far as 100 percent recovery. Finally I made the date for my LIS...I got a Sphincterotomy as well as had one tag removed. I think the change in my diet (which had me lose 15 pounds) also helped me to better prepare for my surgery. I went in at 8:45 AM for prep..Entered surgery by 9:45 AM...I was given a general as I don't remember anything as lay on my tummy with my butt up... by 10:45 AM I was on my way home.
I felt a lot of tight soreness but for some reason the pain from the fissure itself was instantly gone. This time around, the pain was not pointed to the fissure, but rather was sore all around but no longer a "sharp" exact pain. Weird but I could tell that my sphincter was "looser" down there.
I was given Vicodin for pain management. Interestingly. It been more than 24 hours after surgery and I haven't used them yet. (afraid of the constipation I suppose) but most importantly really didn't need them. No meds nothing, not even ibuprofen. I did however take my anti inflammation and antibiotics as prescribed. (after 9 months with a painful fissure, I suppose my pain threshold thinks this as child play).
First day home , I had some oatmeal and broth. This morning I also had some broth. Also took 250 mg of Docusate and drinking ALOT of water. Over the past 8 months, I have become a BM pro..cause and effect...sort of gotten accustomed to getting to know my eating to BM elimination ratio so I really don't want to "push" the subject but I have yet to have my first BM. Yes, I am anxious about it but the way I figure,by not rushing it cant be that bad. Ideally I would like to give my butt another day to heal and have my BM tomorrow. We shall see if I can passively hold out.
From this point (24 hours) I can say while sore, I am delighted. We will see how my first BM goes. I will keep you all posted. Best wishes Al
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Had my LIS surgery yesterday

Postby Grateful Al » 14 Sep 2012, 18:47

wait a quick correction, I am taking 10 mg of Ketorolac that was prescribed by my CIS...
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 15 Sep 2012, 10:29

Welcome to the board, and hope you are doing well with your recovery. There are quite a few posts under the link for surgery from others who have had LIS. Check out Davo's story (male) and a few others, for some good hints.
Best of luck with your healing!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Grateful Al » 15 Sep 2012, 14:21

Thank you...this site has been immeasurable through my AF and beyond....still needing to do my first BM!!!
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Postby Bumpkin » 15 Sep 2012, 17:47

Grateful Al ~
I'm following your posts and waiting to hear news about your first BM! Wow...that's something I've NEVER written to anyone before. :D
I had my LIS surgery yesterday and am also waiting for my first BM. It's really the only thing I'm nervous about right now.
Good luck and keep us updated! I'll be posting my follow-ups in link for surgery.
Bumpkin
Salt Bather

Postby Grateful Al » 15 Sep 2012, 18:25

Hi Bumkin, I just had my first BM just an hour ago...some soreness but not anywhere near the pain of my BM with fissure..Alot of "pat" clean up with moist baby wipes and no bathtub per my doc due to the dissolving stitches from my removed tag...Also not really alot of blood, maybe a spot or two..just alot of oversoftened poo. Image Yucks....Repacked my butt in gauze again and laying on my side relaxing..After 72 hours since my last BM and 48 hours since my LIS, I am glad that is over..I know the following BMs may be just as anxious but im praying for the best but preparing for the worst....Food intake since my LIS has been oatmeal, broth two salmon patties 3 spinach patties and some red licorice....some of my worrying has slowly subsided but I know this is a story of 2 steps forward and one step back...Guardedly hopeful, Al Image
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Postby Bumpkin » 20 Sep 2012, 19:23

Grateful Al - I'm curious how all is going for you. Rainbows and unicorns, hopefully. :D Image
Bumpkin
Salt Bather

Postby Grateful Al » 20 Sep 2012, 21:02

Image I was just about to post on here and I got you sweet notification. Ok here goes. today is day 7 from my LIS, let me back track...Let me start of by saying that my doctor had recommended that I shower and gently run the water on my behind and not take baths Image due to the danger of prematurely causing the dissolving stitches to dissolve. Also after each cleaning I would repack my wound by folding a 4 by 4 inch piece of gauze and gently placing it in my crack resting on the "opening" . . I would then take a another 4x4 piece of gauze and tape it with paper tap over the my butt crack packing so it wouldn't move out of place.
My first BM was on the 2nd day after my LIS, My CRS called to check up on me. I was enthusiastic Image and he sounded very guarded Image with my joy and enthusiasm of my easy first poop and then called the first poop sort of still in the honeymoon period of my recovery...What a downer right??? :( I really didn't quite fully appreciate what he was trying to say until my second poop the next day...yes it burned, burned burnned a lot.. Image the good part about it is once I "gingerly attacked the remnant poop (sorry don't know how else to call it) the burning sensation subsided...My guess is that the poop touched the tag removal area which was still raw and probably exposed to the fecal matter (ouch)...Next BM poop burned but a bit easier..(mind you during my poops I would have a stack of non alcohol flushable baby wipes I purchased at CVS right next to the can..Thankfully I stocked up before my operation). 3 poops, all burned but less each time as my tag wound was healing. 4th poop was this morning and much less burn.
They key after a post LIS poop is to gingerly Image start to wipe, staying away from the tag removal zone but yet move inward with each new wipe or swipe of the towelette....I know this is too detailed but its important....since I could remember where the tag removal zone was, I made sure I left that area for cleaning last...Thee strategy is to wipe the outer regions of your crack like zones and slowly start swiping inwards but never even getting near the tag area. Then finally at the "opening" use a new wipe and with your index finger gently place behind it and place it right on (not in!) Image the opening and let it sit there for a few seconds and do a final poop cleaning by absorption. Really gentle, no rush (my first burn poop cleaning took close to 30 minutes and about 15 wipes to clean carefully and thoroughly because I wanted to avoid breaking my stitch and of course, infecting the area) again take you time no rush and repeat as necessary. For me, I would keep cleaning until all I say that remained on the wipe was minor blood from the wound. ...
Each subsequent poop was easier :D as I had the routine down. again, gently wipe zones of your but starting with the inner butt cheeks (as my poopies was somewhat miralax watery :roll: ) and work you way inwards in a swiping movement. Use as many wipes as you need. Remember you've come a long way from you first fissure poop and this is your ticket to future bliss Image so now is not the time to rush this or not execute this cleaning perfectly.
This morning, 4th poop went ok, still slight burn but nothing like the earlier ones and cleaning in about 10 minutes, no pain afterwards and thank God, no spasms since the day of the surgery. I laid around for a biit on my side, got dressed and actually went to my office for the fist time in a week. Still need to sit very carefully but with each passing hour things seem to be heeling more and more.. Image
As far as my blood and drainage, they are still present but starting to subside.. I did have a question as my drainage really stinks. My doc said that unless I was in pain not to worry of infection and that drainage and sligh bleeding can continue for another week or so. I am in no throbbing "infection" pain even though I had two short bouts with slight fever the night agfter my LIS and a couple of days ago. After about an hour or two, they subsided. I stayed off the major pain pills and stuck with ibuprofen which I still take a couple a day.
I must say that the"old" pain of the fissure is no longer present. Image The "new" pain for the cut and tag removal, while sore and uncomfortable, unlike my $#^$^ fissure, has the characteristics of a healing wound...something my fissure never had...I am optimistic but still guarded Image as I don't want to jinx it but if my healing trajectory really gets me pain free after 8 months of fissure torture, I must proclaim that this is the best thing that has ever happened to me. A blessing of science and my doctor. I am forever changed as I will never take good health for granted. Image And as to message to all the readers on here stil suffering from and AF , you have heard it said by many before me, If you really are suffering from a chronic AF, give it two or three months max and then bite the bullet and get LIS. Its just one more week of heck to get to Heaven. You will not regret it and you can get back to a normal life sooner. So how is your progress going Bumpkin????
Best wishes
Grateful Al
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Postby Neen » 21 Sep 2012, 14:23

haha Grateful Al..you "crack"me up with your detailed description of clean up. I understand completely!I had a fissurectomy/lis in April but had to have a fissurotomy and skin tag removal on Sept. 10. I totally get the cleanup routine.It's exhausting! I am glad you are feeling well. The skin tag removal does cause stinging for a few days huh?Good for you , I wish you continued health and happiness!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Grateful Al » 21 Sep 2012, 14:38

Thank you Neen. Isnt it amazing how we get too "intimate" with our "stuff and cleanup" all in the name of pain relief and healing.. Image .. Honesty for me it was about immediate (but careful) clean up to relieve the "burn" Image which it did......Glad everthing worked out for you as well. Still guarded but very excited this really may be the end of my 8 month nightmare... Image
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict