tear 6 weeks after surgery..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: tear 6 weeks after surgery..

Postby andyk123 » 15 Sep 2012, 13:21

Thanks guys - i havent been in pain since i tore, so i think its been about 2 and a half weeks. that was generally what happened pre op though. pain for 1 week, no pain for 2-3 weeks, so the real test will be if i continue to stay pain free.
after feeling very down the day of my follow up, i woke up the next day in a better frame of mind. i am disapointed at how i was treated, but i still have some faith that i may heal with out any more surgery.
so i am just going to hold tight and hope for a good surgeon for my next appointment. if i am still tearing by then, i wont hesitate to have further treatment.
sue - were you told to stop using rectogesic? i have been using it every day since i tore and i am going to carry on using it until my appointment.
just curious as to why things would be better after stopping using it, i thought it helps relax the muscle?
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby andyk123 » 15 Sep 2012, 13:23

and ever the optomist - i am from uk. i dont want to go private just yet, i would nt really know where to start. how do you find a good surgeon? sue, how did you hear about urs?
and im sorry to hear neither of you are fully healed yet. cant beleive the persistance of this problem?!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 16 Sep 2012, 00:48

Hi Andy,
Glad to hear you are feeling more positive again and fingers crossed that you will now remain pain free after your latest set back and that the LIS has worked and you are actually recovering OK :)
It has to get better at some point but yes, anal issues are a bit persistant aren't they? Full healing does take longer than any of us expect and want! I think patience is the key in recovery.
My GP actually provided me with names of the CRS teams in my local area and I opted for the most local to me. I simply called them up and the appointment was pretty much made straight away. I found most of the private ones also practice on the NHS, so it was a very quick and smooth transition of starting off as a private patient and then going straight on to the NHS waiting list for follow up treatment. I think you will know if and when you need to take this route, but hopefully things will improve for you and you won't need to consider doing it anyway!
I am improving I can feel it, just not there 100% yet and want to be so much!!
Keep us updated and fingers crossed for you in the meantime :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Sue27uk » 16 Sep 2012, 12:53

I was told to stop using the rectogesic because applying it constantly to the area that was operated on he thinks is stopping it healing. He said I no longer have spasms (although I can feel a throbbing sensation still at times which I always believed was spasms). Well I have news for him, the rectogesic was helping!! I have left it off and things are getting gradually worse, so starting to use it again but once a day for a few weeks to see if it helps. I'm not sure whats going on but the pain is coming back (where I have been operated on) so have decided if things haven't improved very much by half term (22nd Oct) I am going back. Its either going back to work or stopping the rectogesic that has made things worse again. Mind you work has been really full on, and the teacher I'm working with is now pregnant. She is asking me to lift loads of boxes and do so much, I did so last week and don't think that has helped! Anyway, I'm in a wait and see situation for the minute, but I'm not willing to suffer so will use the rectogesic more sparingly. Glad yo hear you're not in pain anymore, wish I could say the same!! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby andyk123 » 27 Sep 2012, 05:34

well ive torn again after 3 good weeks. think i am about week 12 or something now.. so i think i can safely say its failed. disapointed isnt the word!!!!
waiting for this second opinion now..debating whether to go private
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Lauren12 » 27 Sep 2012, 06:47

Andy I'm sorry to hear of your experiences. I don't know if it helps, but it took me a good 8 months or so to recover from the LIS although my situation was slightly different to yours in that my major fissure was healed at the time I had the operation, but as my muscle tone was tight from all the spasming caused by the fissure, I was forming minor fissures with most bowel movements.
Post op I continued to get minor fissures for a while, firstly because the tissue was swollen and puffy from the op, making the anal canal tighter and secondly, because it took the anus long time to settle down. My previous posts give more details.
I see you're in the UK. If you do decide to go private and have access to London, I'd be happy to recommend the surgeon who finally fixed me. I saw three consultant surgeons in all and the final one was just great, really really knew his stuff. He'd had similar problems himself in the past and said that no one who hasn't experienced problems in that area can possibly understand the pain. He also said that the anus is a delicate structure, and can take some time to settle back down to normal after it's disrupted.
He does have an NHS practice, and as it's possible to be referred anywhere in the country, you can ask your GP to refer you to a particular surgeon. However the problem with the NHS, as you've found, is that you may well see a junior, and not get to see the consultant at all. If you book an appointment privately you can be sure of seeing the surgeon themselves, and will also not have to wait a long time for an appointment, and it is the expert you want to see.
All the best, and hoping for relief for you soon.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 30 Sep 2012, 05:52

Aw Andy, I am so gutted to read this! I can't believe it, you, ETO, thisfissure and myself all had our ops at around the same time and none of us are sorted!! What a nightmare, just goes to prove I suppose that it is a tricky area of the body to sort out. I no longer have any follow-ups, either private or NHS, so am back to square one! I am changing my GP at the start of November so going to them for a fresh opinion and hoping that I can get sorted. If this hasn't settled by mid November I am going back to the CRS (possibly on the NHS) and asking for help as I haven't got my life back and not really got the result I was hoping for. But anyway, trying not to be negative, got my patch tests in a few weeks to hopefully sort my skin complaint so focusing on that first then going back about my other problem. The thought of this never ending has been quite lowering over the past few weeks so I know where you're coming from. Sending all good wishes your way and hoping you get sorted soon. Keep us updated Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Sue27uk » 20 Oct 2012, 09:55

Hows things going now Andy? Any better? Haven't been on here for a while. Things with me are improved but I'm not 100% as yet. Hoping you're feeling better :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby andyk123 » 21 Oct 2012, 14:44

glad things have improved for you sue. are u discharged from your surgeon now?
things arent good for me. the surgery hasnt worked, i still tear as regularly as before hand.
today for the first time ever, i had a lot of blood. so im quite worried and disapointed. i have a second opinion on november 12 but i am thinking of going private. i dont think my surgery was done properly as the msucle is still tight. im thinking i will probly have a repeat lis
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 21 Oct 2012, 15:22

If you are in London, Andyk23, do give the surgeon that Davo went to a go. He was absolutely fantastic, from what Davo wrote (and by the fact that Davo has moved on).
Sorry you're in pain again. This whole bloody thing stinks!! Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222