I'm back with good and bad news

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: I'm back with good and bad news

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 Nov 2007, 10:37

Yes, G, sugar is everywhere, even in foods that aren't sweet. I avoid it as much as I can. My rosacea is normally not too bad. I have cut out the fruit juice for a week to see what happens...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 07 Nov 2007, 11:59

Yeah, sugar is my nemesis. I LOVE it, but it makes me flush. I have a total sweet tooth, so I really miss it. I don't eat much fruit so that's not a problem (anything citrus or acidic makes my bum scream, so I stick to pears and some milder apples), but right now I've got beets roasting in the oven and I'll be eating those things with glee even though each one has 6g of sugar. Too bad!! LOL

Postby buttgirl » 07 Nov 2007, 12:06

I don't really eat too much sugar either, though I do eat a lot of fruit, mainly grapefruit and apples in the winter and oranges and peaches in the summer. I only notice itching when I eat something that has a lot of sugar in it, such as a piece of cake. Also, when my allergies act up, my skin acts up.Otherwise, I just have a fairly constant blush, which has gotten less pronounced since I began using the rosacea cosmetics. My skin has been senstive and rashy since puberty though, so it's something I've learned to live with.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 07 Nov 2007, 12:10

Me too, I have a constant blush and little tiny pimples sometimes when I break out. Alcohol = instant breakout, which is how I knew that sugar was the culprit. Which cosmetics are you using? I'm using LaRoche Posay Rosaliac moisturizer and I cleanse daily with Marcelle calming cleanser. I don't put any makeup on my skin because I find it just makes it feel worse.

Postby Guest » 07 Nov 2007, 12:44

I think some people who are prone to butt problems like me carry a lot of tension in that area which can impede healing even if I don't feel stress per se, the tension can still be there. I can see how the doctor might suggest that doing something that might help relax the body in general might be helpful. I know several people who use anti-depressants, including me, but I understand not everyone wants to turn to them.

But I don't know where he gets off telling you to lose weight. I can see that extra weight could add pressure to the area but that is not your case at all.

Regarding rosacea, I have heard good things about Atopalm cream. Don't know anyone has tried it here?

Postby Guest » 07 Nov 2007, 13:13

well Lecia, that makes a lot more sense now that you've explained the rationale behind it!!! The doctor didn't explain it to me that way at all, he just said that I was stressed and needed to relax. Personally I wouldn't want to take anti-depressants but I now see how that can be helpful.
Yeah the weight thing made me uncomfortable... whatever, he wasn't skinny either so perhaps he should practice what he preaches.

Postby buttgirl » 07 Nov 2007, 13:28

You're skin sounds a lot like mine. I'm using skinactives products for the rosacea and DHC's mild cleanser and DHC's White Sunscreen (a physical rather than chemical one). Make=up makes me break out oo.

I definitely notice the tension in my rear even when I am "relaxed." I'm not a stress ball either, so maybe I just supress everything down to my butt. Really, it takes me about 2 weeks off of my dumb job to return to normal (and I'm sure the stress of this job is what caused tension and thus the problems in the first place).

Re: the weight. Drs seem always to be searching for the "optimum" and unfortunately this is not the same for everyone. I'm 5'9" and 138, and my sister is the same height but 30lbs heavier, though you'd never know it by looking at her. She's also very healthy and active. Technically, she should be closer to my weight to be "optimum," but for her that would be unhealthy.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby juney » 07 Nov 2007, 13:52

G - i just wanted to say i feel your pain (and annoyance with the fissure problesm!) i had my second LIS surgery 6 weeks ago. The first one in May did not work, and i'm not sure if the 2nd one will either. things sometimes seem to be improving, but not on other days. it's so hard not to lose hope and get discouraged. how long did it take for your posterior fissure to heal after surgery?
i also wanted to say that one of the nurses at my surgeons office had the nerve to tell me maybe i "needed to relax a little" to help with the healing. she even suggested meditation. this was in the weeks after my first surgery when i was not healing and was calling the dr often wondering what was wrong. i had thought LIS would be a quick fix...wrong!!! anyway i was offended that the nurse seemed to be suggesting it was my fault i wasn't healing, so i understand your initial annoyance at your dr's suggestion of anti-depressants. until they've dealt with the problem themselves, there is no way they can understand.
anyway, i'm curious what type of pain you're having? did you know the original fissure had healed or were you surprised when your dr told you? how does your pain level/type compare now to before your LIS? did it help at all? i do not want a 3rd surgery, in fact i doubt they'd even do another one if this doesn't work. i'm not sure what the options are after LIS fails to help. :(
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 07 Nov 2007, 14:21

Juney, I can totally relate to your situation. I asked my surgeon on Monday if he thought I needed a second LIS, and he said no because my fissures are too small and superficial to warrant surgery. From what I understand, I just have inflammation in the area which makes the skin very prone to fissuring at the slightest provocation. I wasn't going to have a second LIS regardless of what he said, because I don't want any more trauma down there and I'm not in too much pain. When I was there on Monday he also told me to try meditation, which almost made me laugh. I understand the role stress plays in delaying the healing process, but come on. It annoys me that when they fail, they just blame us for not helping ourselves enough!!!! We have changed our entire diet for them and we've been putting up with this problem for months... We've been anally probed, poked and tampered with countless times, and now they want us to meditate??? Give me a break.
In terms of pain, I only have some with BMs. It scrapes and burns. Then it goes away. At first, when my fissure was fresh, it was excruciating and brought me to tears... but now it's just painful for a couple of seconds and I'm fine afterward. It's not a huge deal, but the fact that it keeps happening and that it won't heal completely is what gets to me. I feel like something in my stool is burning my bum when it comes out, so I avoid anything acidic and it's usually not too bad. Tomatoes makes hell break loose. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat those again.

Postby Guest » 07 Nov 2007, 14:25

<--- my little guy, Perrier!