Seventeen days post surgery, and counting!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Seventeen days post surgery, and counting!

Postby indranil82 » 21 Sep 2012, 04:22

Hey all,
Just sharing my experiences with regards to the ailment and the treatment, which I had operated on the 4th of September, 2012.
I've had fistula of the ano-rectal region for the last 11 years (yeah!) and was consistently ignoring it, trying homeopathy medication from different doctors (trust me, it does NOT work!) all this while.
While the fistula was not causing any specific discomfort besides the once every 2-3 days discharge and itching, it was a tremendous emotional burden. Last month, I was suggested Ayurvedic treatment and I went ahead with it. It's a minor surgical procedure called Kshar Sutra, considered pretty safe and very effective, less painful and cheaper. BUT, considering the fistula had already spread its tentacles and was inching towards the scrotum on one side and the spinal cord on the other, Kshar Sutra made it worse, and this led to an infection in the entire anal region, causing pus accumulation and unbearable pain. Saving the day using painkiller injections, I realized, going for the convenient approach was not the right thing to do. Evidently, this form of treatment does not work on advanced cases as mine. I was suggested immediate surgery the very next day (Fistulotomy) by a renowned procto-surgeon. The surgery lasted about 1 and half hours and as per the doctors account, the situation looked pretty bad (close to 200 ml of pus had accumulated and had to be drained!)! Apparently, he used a fistula-plug to seal the internal anal opening and cut the tract open using laser and removed the close-to-15cms-long fistula tract. There were no stitches involved and the cut wound has been kept open ever since. I was discharged from the hospital in 1.5 days, have been changing the cotton pads on my own twice or thrice a day (to soak the discharge from the open wound, which too is reducing day by day) and visiting the doctor twice a week for the wound clean-up. Besides the dietary restrictions (avoid oily, spicy, alcohol, meat etc) and the discomfort in sitting at work, it has been pretty okay post-surgery. The wound is healing fine and hopefully it'll be good in another month or so.
My sincere advise to all those who are suffering, please have it operated at the earliest. You never know what it might be doing to your body within. Medications don't work!
Last edited by indranil82 on 21 Sep 2012, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Incorrect grammar
indranil82

Topics: 1

Re: Seventeen days post surgery, and counting!

Postby ZeeZee » 22 Sep 2012, 16:49

11 years.. Tht's a long time! Well done in gettng the surgery down and great to hear you're healing fine! I'm 30 and I had mine done on the 5th of September! One day after you.. I'm healing well and the drainage is almost slowed now.. Please keep us posted as to how your healing is going as it sounds tht your case was pretty extreme.. We are here for you! Wht's KS Sutra though?!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Seventeen days post surgery, and counting!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 23 Sep 2012, 04:19

Wow Indra,
That's a long time to have been suffering and has obviously reflected in the surgery that took place but great you finally got it sorted properly and you are back in a position now to start living your life again fistula free!.....All the very best to you and keep up all the good stuff you're currently doing to aid the post op recovery. I have to totally agree, that whilst I think Homeopathic remedies can be extremely helpful in relieving some ailments, they can't resolve a fistula issue alone and you really have done the best (and the only) course of action in getting it surgically sorted. Get well very soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again