You can beat this thing!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

You can beat this thing!

Postby DMBIG » 14 Sep 2012, 12:09

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I was suffering with a chronic anal fissure for 9 months and I'm happy to report that i'm doing much better and feel 'normal' again. When I first came across the forum, I was desperately looking for posts where folks had overcome a chronic fissure without the need for agressive steps such as botox and surgery and I didn't come across may. but I wasn't prepared to give up either so I kept at it and decided to see a CRS. He recommended that I stop taking colace and go the natural route. And litterally, with some minor changes in my diet (2 spoons of oat bran and 2 spoons of flax seed meal, twice a day), eating healthy salads and limiting 'unhealthy' foods, my bowel movements have changed dramatically. I've more regular and the stool is bulky, and soft (don't be afraid of the bulk because as long as it's soft, the bulk it going to help you evacuate it more quickly and all at once with little gas!). I believe the oatbran and flax seed meal is helping me a great deal so it's a great supplement if your getting little fiber elsewhere. Just mix it with any juice, tea or milk.
So everyone, be stubborn and stick to a high fiber, natural, healthy diet and continue to treat the fissure with the ointments prescribed and your sure to see results even if you've been plagued by a chronic fissure. So it CAN and WILL heal, you just need to commit yourself to healthier eating choices!
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: You can beat this thing!

Postby ZeeZee » 14 Sep 2012, 13:27

Hey DM! Great news! I love hearng stories like this! Well done bro! Just a couple questions..
"(2 spoons of oat bran and 2 spoons of flax seed meal, twice a day)"
Where can I get tht and does it taste bad?!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby DMBIG » 14 Sep 2012, 14:35

I personally buy them from trader joe's. But you should be able to find these at your local supermarket like whole foods. They're usually located in the cereal aisle. Neither has much flavor to it, but they don't dissolve very well so I like to mix them in a dense juice drinks or smoothies. Naked Juice brand has a drink called the blue machine smoothie which has a good deal of fiber in it. I mix the bran and flax with about a half cup of juice/smoothie and down it all at once. My CRS said I only needed to do it once a day, but i've been doing twice (once in the morning and once in the afternoon) because it's tastes good, it's easy, and the results have been simply amazing. You absolute need to give it a try...don't wait. If you do a shot or two today, you will starting seeing results tomorrow and it will give your fissure the best opportunity to heal. I can't feel my fissure anymore and my stools are so consistent since I started this, I've dropped all the ointments as well. And I was dealing with my fissure day and night for 9 months!!! I'm convinced that fissure can only be beat with a complete change in eating habits and this 'shot' is a quick jump start in the right direction.
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Sep 2012, 04:13

DMBIG,
Great to hear you are doing so well and have to completely agree with you on the diet thing! A change in eating habits is vital and I really don't have an issue with my stools anymore because I'm eating what I believe, my body needs now.
If I have any lapse at all and eat anything less friendly, it reflects on my BM's incredibly. I am so aware of how my stools should now be and a lapse definately produces a harder stool or one that does not evacuate so easily. In my experience, that's OK once in a while but I would avoid doing this all the time.
Flax meal is great stuff. I buy bags of the seeds, grind them and keep it stored in the fridge.
I sprinkle the flax on breakfast cereal, add it to smoothies, soups, stews, sprinkle it on pasta dishes, mix it with gravy. .It is fantastic stuff and is a great and kinder, fibre supplement. It's not expensive if you buy it this way and it seems to be increasing in popularity in the UK and you can buy the seeds in most health food shops and supermarkets now. Great advice for a fissure friendly diet! :D
I also take a couple of tablespoons of olive oil per day to help in smooth BM's and that's a great safe, natural stool softener too!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby TLTOSU » 17 Sep 2012, 10:52

Great tips on the diet. Agree, healthy high fiber, natural diet is key. Once we get them it's so hard to heal, so it seems prevention is the no. 1 key since we are predisposed to get them repeatedly.
TLTOSU
Fibre Addict

Postby DMBIG » 04 Oct 2012, 14:01

just had a recurrence about a week ago. Was really careful with my diet, but added whey protein drinks into the mix to supplement my intake post workouts. I saw some slight changes to my stool...they weren't as soft. Next thing you know, got a little sore down there and eventually some slight pain. It now feels like a retear. So frustrating that I can't pass anything thats not super soft...
So back to oinments and pain cycle for me
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Postby TLTOSU » 26 Oct 2012, 21:00

We need protein AND fiber to heal after LIS, however, did you know that those protein powders can cause constipation?
Do you like prunes? I pop 3-5 of those if I'm not sure how the diet was. I LOVE and RAVE on the ground flax meal. I add 2 TB to my instant oatmeal in the AM, and my Lean Cuisine at lunch, that's 8 grams of fiber added each day, and my stool has been so soft ever since I started that.
You can add it to meatloaf, soups, anything, has a sort of nutty flavor...
TONS of water too when you're taking fiber. I've been lucky to never have had to go on Metamucil and MOM, I just get what I need thru diet.
TLTOSU
Fibre Addict

Postby Neen » 27 Oct 2012, 08:19

Does the flax make stools bulky or soft or both? Would like to start going more natural but of course am afraid. I have the flax in my freezer waiting until I am brave enough...thanks!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7