Second LIS? Slow healing fissure? Advice please

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Second LIS? Slow healing fissure? Advice please

Postby Flips79 » 07 Oct 2012, 04:34

Hi wanted to see if anyone had similar experience or could offer help.
I had LIS in July (3 months ago) at 9 week check up surgeon said not fully healed but may just need more time as was originally very large and now only 1mm. From just after that appointment BM became pain free.
One more month on (3months from op date) I now am just itchy a lot, it's maybe slightly uncomfortable to pass BM but I wonder if I am imagining that?!?
Anyone else had a slow healing fissure? Worried I may need a further surgery, if so has anyone had that? How do you know if you need second LIS?
Please no horror stories I don't think I could cope!
Xxx
Flips79

Topics: 1

Re: Second LIS? Slow healing fissure? Advice please

Postby richibeno » 07 Oct 2012, 04:50

id give it as much time as you can ,these things take time ,keep it smooth and soft,drink loads of water,
Last edited by richibeno on 07 Oct 2012, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby sadies-day » 07 Oct 2012, 07:47

I can relate. I had LIS a little over 3 mos ago. I have no pain following a BM but it is itchy more often than not. Also seems to be worse if I have more than 1 BM/day. Ironically, this is exactly where I was before surgery. Calmoseptine ointment, although messy, seems to work the best. I have my last post-surgery follow-up w/ my CRS in a couple of weeks.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 08 Oct 2012, 22:18

I had surgery August 21. The bleeding and pain has gotten a lot better, but still not healed entirely. I also have a lot of itching and irritation. It's awful! I am getting really depressed about it. It wakes me up almost every night, sometimes multiple times. Now I also have a little patch (rash?) near the incision site on one side. Argh!! I guess I will have to go back to the CRS. I don't know if I want to keep throwing money at this when I am not getting better.
Deleted User 1755

Postby Fernie1 » 08 Oct 2012, 23:34

Wow I can sooo relate too! I had Lis done June 18 and according to my CRS fissures never healed. Still feel discomfort after bm or when I sit; still to this day. I think I might need second Lis but still not sure. Hope these things get sorted out soon for all of us.
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Bambi » 09 Oct 2012, 10:12

I had LIS in Feb 2011 and I, too, experienced a lot of what you all are talking about. I was convinced my fissure was not healing and at my visit to the CRS in 6 weeks he said it was completely healed. But I had some slight leakage ( for want of a better word-that sounds worse than whatbI had) that caused irritation, particularly where my fissure had been, butnI think it was really the new tissue under the skin tag that was removed there. IHe recommended the Calmoseptine at that appt and that helped a lot and I still use it occasionally.
Let me just give you my long term perspective. I was so much better off post LIS and I have never regretted that. I wish I had done it sooner, but oh well... After LIS, I was on Miralax for quite a while as I should have been. I think the keeping the stools soft and the muscles needing to adapts what caused the tendency to have some hygiene issues. However, these got much better over time. I also developed what I called "princess and the pea syndrome", because what was actually coming out was so minimal. It was like the new skin down there was much more sensitive than before, so I felt the need to be super clean. I developed a system for me that helped a lot:
1. Use the bathroom wipes like Cottenelle or baby wipes if you aren't already.
2. I use the little Tucks wipes after the first baby wipe is clean with a little Balneol on it and it is amazing what else comes off. This was also my trick for what seemed to happen about an hour after a BM when I would suddenly be very itchy. I am very sensitive to stuff and fearful, so I usually wring out the Tucks wipes in warm water to remove the witch hazel. I thought it was drying my skin out, but I live at 5280 feet so that might not be the case elsewhere. Anyway, for me, the little wipes were super soft and could gently get in spots the bigger wipes couldn't.
3. I found these very flexible tubes like you would use for travel and found some that could squirt water when upside down, so I made my little travel bidet and would then rinse off the Balneol.
4. If things were still itchy, I would put a little Calmoseptine on.
Of course, I suddenly always needed to have a big purse and I don't know what men would do. I have found that contact lens cases are a great tool for putting some Balneol and Calmo in and they have never leaked.
I know this is probably way too much TMI but I hope it's helpful to someone.
Bottom line is: for many of us it takes a while for this itchy thing to go away, but I can say it really does get better. Occasionally now I will have a slight issue but there is usually a reason- looser stools than usual, etc... That was probably true per fissure life too. Normal was not always completely perfect after all...
Things did get better after I had to get off Miralax-something I was very scared of, butnI was becoming too sensitive to it and was having 5 to 6 loose stools a day after taking only 1/2 a tsp or something. Stay on it while you still need it though!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Bambi » 09 Oct 2012, 10:15

Sorry for all the typos. I am not good at doing this on the IPAD yet!
The other thing I would say is moderation in everything. In other words, too much wiping is not a good thing either. And I still took at least 1 bath a day for a long time and anytime I felt itchy and was home.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Flips79 » 11 Oct 2012, 06:19

Thank you for your advice. I know it hadnt healed at 2months as CRS told me so but was unhelpful as to what chances where is could still heal. I feel things haven't changed or improved in last month. CRS also said couldn't give success rates for a second LIS signed me off and said to come back if I want second LIS.
Has anyone had second LIS? How long do you wait before having it??
Sadies and Fernie have you seem your CRS again? What did they say?
Flips79

Topics: 1

Postby StevePain » 11 Oct 2012, 07:40

Sometimes LIS isn't always the be all and end all, sure it helps but doesn't always cure everyone, from my own personal experience it has made it easier to pass BM's but that is all, this is based on the fact that I still have ongoing pain and flare ups.
Once you've had a fissure I think the skin is never the same and a fissure has a tendency to re-occur because of this, basically, you have to be vigilant at all times which is difficult and stool consistency plays a massive part, something I still have a problem with to this day!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 7275 » 19 Aug 2018, 20:03

Hi Bambi, I see you haven’t posted in a while, I was wondering how did you get off from miralax. If you’re listening, thanks! If not I hope you are well and thanks for the great posts! WW
Deleted User 7275