BOTOX - Got appointment. Advice?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

BOTOX - Got appointment. Advice?

Postby T-Rex » 09 Oct 2012, 08:18

Hi everyone. Im a long time reader, but first time poster.
I started having trouble around 5 or 6 months ago. I went on holiday and had to come home early because of the pain! The past 5 months has been constant trips to the dr for different creams etc (the best so far being rectogesic!) however, my AF isnt healing. After a bowel movement I can have pain up to 5 hours.
I think this is also because I have hemmies and after a bowel movement they have to be reinserted (Gross, I know.) Image
Anyway, Went to see a surgeon last week who told me that he was going to perform a Botox injection and use a scope to see if the hemmies were big enough for him to treat (He said that it would be in a different procedure though because he also wants to remove skin tags)
So here we are, got my appointment today, the 1st novemember, Im nervous because Ive never had any treatement done like this nor have i went under GA before either! But Im at the end of the line. I havent been able to attend uni lectures, had to phone into work sick, Im sure you all know the rest and the sleepeless nights and pain!
Luckily I have a supportive boyfriend and parents who all want me to get better. Its beena long road but I hope that with this Botox it will be the start of a healing procedure.
Ive read peoples stories about their Botox and Im feeling hopeful. Anything that anyone has to share would be great.
T-Rex
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: BOTOX - Got appointment. Advice?

Postby cherylk » 09 Oct 2012, 08:31

I was going to try Botox if the ointment didn't work for me. Thankfully, I got healed w/o Botox. But, I personally wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot literally. There are risks with anything, but I had Botox on my face years ago and nothing bad happened (except it hurt when getting it). No more of that for me because to me it isn't worth the pain, $$$, and only having a temporary effect. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Bambi » 09 Oct 2012, 09:52

Hi T-Rex,
I did have Botox injections 2 different times just about 2 years ago- in early Nov. and then again in Jan. 2011. By then I had been trying all the creams and things for 7 months and nothing was really helping. I was not under GA for this, but met the Dr at a local ER as it could not be done in office because of insurance reasons. It was really not too bad and I had really worried about it. A slightly bruised feeling for a day or so. And I did get better so I had more good days, but not enough. Same with the second one. It kindof confused things for me because I thought well, maybe only having it be bad 3 days a week is ok, but my Dr did not agree. So I had LIS in Feb of 2011. It takes a while to get over, but my fissure was better right away- but my skin tag removal site and the incision site understandably had to heal. I have never regretted any of those choices, as I see them as a path to go down. Some of us don't have to go all the way to LIS , but for some, including me, it was really the best option for feeling back to myself again down the road a bit. It sounds like you have a lot going on down there with the hemmies to deal with as well. I hope that these procedures and the Botox are the end of your path to healing! And don't worry about the GA. Just enjoy the not knowing what is going on! They make it as easy as possible, usually giving you something in the IV to make you really not care what is going on. A nice feeling for a short while! The worst part is usually putting the IV in and that is really not a big deal. Ask them to put some numbing medicine on first and that helps a lot. The nurses who do those do so many they are very good at it. Sounds like you are in the UK?
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby T-Rex » 09 Oct 2012, 12:23

Hi guys thanks for your posts.
Im hoping that my Botox will help enough, Bambi. Unfortunately after months and months of it Im willing to try anything! (Isnt anyone is our situation...)
Yes, lots going on down there. The hemmies arent helping at all, everytime they go out and in they are pushing against the fissure. The surgeon said they cant heal because of all the spasm going on down there anyway so Ive tried different things for them but nothing helps.
Im nervous about the GA only because Ive never done it. But Im also nervous about peoples experience with the Botox and they said it hasnt worked for them. I guess it works for different people differently. Im trying to stay positive, but its hard to after being so down about this whole sitaution!
I read about the LIS but my surgeon didnt suggest it so I didnt either. Im worried about the surgery involved with LIS and the after surgery pain/side effects etc. :(
I am in the uk yes. The nhs would have taken sooo long to sort this out (My dr wrote on his refered letter that I Would be routine but the private surgeon said urgent.)
Im hoping for the best here!
T-Rex
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 09 Oct 2012, 12:29

Do NOT fear a GA. I've probably had it 11 times and each time it gets easier and quicker as they continue to improve the meds. I don't think you have anything to lose by trying the Botox although there are risks with anything (even getting out of bed in the morning). Good luck and be sure to share your experience with others so everyone can learn. There are probably several threads on Botox to which you can add your comments!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Oct 2012, 12:43

Hiya,
Can't comment on the Botox I'm afraid but a GA is nothing to worry about. I've had 3 to date with no issues other than feeling like a slug after!! (Definately recommended you don't drive or work the day after) It's the best way of getting it all checked properly with no pain as you're out cold!! and you wake up no problem!!...You even get relief for a few hours after because they generally numb the area with a local anaesthetic as well, so there's pretty much minimal pain for up to 2 days post-op and a lot of people feel great!
All the best to you in getting through this and don't start contemplating LIS just yet. Sounds like if your CRS wants to try this route, then there's still hope in recovery prior to considering the LIS route. Hope it all works out for you and you have a great support network. Sending you a......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby T-Rex » 09 Oct 2012, 13:14

Thanks to you both. I will make sure I post here after.
I have read the other comments about Botox, both positive and negative. Slightly scary but well see!
Ever, I agree. My CRS said about Botox but said I might need more than one (But i heard that thats common.)
Luckily I do have a great support network (before joining these boards- so its even bigger now!)
My mum is a good hugger and my boyfriend is a good cuddler. Sometimes its all you need!
I stopped using rectogesic everyday but Im going to start using it again. I stopped using it because it caused me restless sleeps but i havent got a good night sleep recently anyway so i have very little left to lose. :(
Thanks to everyone <3
T-Rex
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 09 Oct 2012, 15:32

Hi t-rex,
I had Botox for fissure & Injections (sclerotherapy)
for hemmies 11wks ago tomorrow I have to say its been great so far 😊. My fissure hasn't healed yet so im going for a 2nd round soon. I was terrified of GA too as never had one but it was a breeze. I had it done on a Wednesday & didn't go back to work till following Tuesday. It took about 1 week for Botox to kick in.
Hope it all works out for you Image

Postby T-Rex » 10 Oct 2012, 02:53

Hi Bailey thank you for your post.
The surgeon said he won't do anything about the hemmies during my procedure, he will just use a scope to look at them and maybe have to book me in for another procedure depending how bad they are (He said atm they can't heal because of the fissure spasm etc.) I wish he would get rid of them, I think sometimes they are the main cause for all this pain when they come out and go back in! Grrr...
Unfortunately I have an exam in uni 4 days after my Botox! But i sent my lecturer an email telling him the situation, I hope they can let me do it again at a different time due to medical reasons. It sucks to go through this in my final year of university!
Good to know that GA isn't bad though. Were you in a lot of pain after your procedure untill the Botox kicked in?
Unfortunately I'm off to the dr now to see if I can get any sleeping tablets and/or anti depressants. Not sure my personal support network understand how bad the fissure is affecting my life. I'm thinking the dr might just laugh!
Oh well, here's to hoping. Off i go with a very sore bum and very tired eyes to the dr!
Thanks for your support!
T-Rex
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 10 Oct 2012, 03:01

Just to say.... The dr most definitely won't laugh. I have been on anti anxiety tablets since march because of my af. The constant pain rules your life and really gets you down.
Good luck at the docs
OMB
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !