I'm 3 weeks post LIS w/ tag removal ...Pain when passing gas

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I'm 3 weeks post LIS w/ tag removal ...Pain when passing gas

Postby Grateful Al » 06 Oct 2012, 03:07

Hi everybody, I just wanted to know if this is normal???...Has anyone else, post LIS, experienced such pain when passing gas and If you have, how long did it last?..Weeks, months, years? I am still draining slightly so I'm wearing gauze packing...But my question is, how long can I expect this pain when passing gas to continue....Is it from the LIS and tag removal site or is it from the fissure trying to heal??? Any advice is greatly appreciated..Best wishes AL
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: I'm 3 weeks post LIS w/ tag removal ...Pain when passing gas

Postby Bambi » 06 Oct 2012, 08:14

Hi Al,
I had LIS and a tag removal in Feb. 2011. You are still healing and I don't think it would be unusual to have some pain with passing gas at this point. My bet is the pain is from your incision site or the tag area. The tag removal site was pretty sensitive for several weeks after for me. There's more muscle action down there with passing gas than we ever thought we'd be thinking about!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Bambi » 06 Oct 2012, 08:17

But months? No. Years? No!! A week or maybe two more? That'd be my bet. Be good to yourself and rest as much as you can.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Grateful Al » 07 Oct 2012, 02:24

Hi Bambi, thank you for your helpful words. Just today passing gas seems to be getting a tad easier. I just didnt know how long the healing arc takes and from your words and from reading a few of the other posts, it seems as though it varies from person to person. I just didn't know where the discomfort was coming from as my biggest fear is that the LIS doesn't "take"...I am feeling 1000 times better than pre LIS...Again Bambi, thank you and all the members on this board who have been my guidance since this whole ordeal started for me at the beginning of the year. I am hoping and praying I recover fully from this painful chapter in my life. Thanks again for your help, Grateful AL
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Postby Bambi » 07 Oct 2012, 17:51

Hi Al,
I'm glad to hear you are having less pain today. It does seem to vary from person to person with the healing, but I think all of us had the same fear you have. I hurt after the surgery but it was a different pain than the fissure and it sounds like you are experiencing that. Looking back, I know now that you really need to be patient with yourself and good to yourself. I will also say prayers for you and I know that you definitely will recover. It really takes over your life though, doesn't it?!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Grateful Al » 09 Oct 2012, 11:15

Hi Bambi, thanks for your prayer and checking in with me. Yes my passing gas pain comes and goes, but overall, I can feel the area down there is getting an upper hand on all the tenderness. Now after a BM, there is very little soreness and fairly quick wet nap clean up....Very happy!!!...Staying on my fissure diet with a few cheats here and there (you did say be good to yourself..lol) . Just praying that my fissure heals and that I stay on this road to recovery. Thanks again for you guidance and for this amazing AF Board...It has kept on the ball....Best wishes, Al Image
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Postby Grateful Al » 22 Oct 2012, 11:59

Update..5 weeks post LIS...passing gas is still a bit tricky and can be sore at times...BMS are almost painless but still a bit sore..No after BM pain....One things I notice is that my butt gets soooooooo itchy,not just the cheecks but the actual you know what.......I am still pacing a piece of gauze in between my cheeks...I dont think im still draining but sometimes there is some clear "liquidy" residue on my gauze when I change it twice a day...Anyone else experience alot of itching???? Overall, recovery going well...thank God!!!!!
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Postby Danish_AF » 23 Oct 2012, 03:26

Grateful Al wrote:Update..5 weeks post LIS...passing gas is still a bit tricky and can be sore at times...BMS are almost painless but still a bit sore..No after BM pain....One things I notice is that my butt gets soooooooo itchy,not just the cheecks but the actual you know what.......I am still pacing a piece of gauze in between my cheeks...I dont think im still draining but sometimes there is some clear "liquidy" residue on my gauze when I change it twice a day...Anyone else experience alot of itching???? Overall, recovery going well...thank God!!!!!

Hi Al,
It is now just over 3 weeks since I got my LIS, and I also experience an incredible itching several times during the day. I do not think it's something you need to worry about as it is normal with itching when a wound heals up.
When it gets too much for me, I take 5-10 minutes with hand shower ,with warm water, and it takes away the worst of my itching.
It takes time to recover from an AF and LIS, so I think we just need to have patience, and then it's all gonna be back to normal again Image
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Grateful Al » 01 Nov 2012, 19:35

Thank you for you information Danish!!! Image I just visited my CRS today for my 6 week follow up after my LIS..Its seems as though my fissure has healed!!! Image yay!!!! BUTTTTTT (I know I know) Image But! my wound from my tag removal is still not healing ideally.....I also mentioned to my CIS that I have has incradible amounts of itching in the area..So he suggested that for the unhealing wound, he place or swab some zinc oxide right on the unhealed portion of the wound to "move the healing along" Can you say OUCH!!!!??? Image let me say it again OUUUUUUUUCH!!!!!!! Image My lord, that was painful...He said the soreness would last about 36 hours Image ...great...As a side note, I really am rethinking of whether I should have gone for the tag removal procedure in the first place because as its turning out, its been one of the biggest factors slowing down my LIS recovery process. Image Ok now back to my itch...the Doctor mentioned I should ease up on the stool softeners slightly now as well as start to wipe with toilet paper in addtion to the wet nap as too much wet nap may be a factor in the fungal component of the itch .. Image .(I know ick).... So he perscribed Lotrisone for the bum itch.. Image Over all great news on the fissure..disaapointed in my tag removal recovery and that b***h of a sting when the doc applied the zinc oxide on the would (did I mention OUUUUUUUUUUUCH!!???) Any other persons experinces on the itch as well as tag wound healing arc would be greatly appreciated.... I hope this helps and thank you Danish AF for you encouragment and great tips! Best wishes, Al Image
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Postby Grateful Al » 05 Nov 2012, 16:07

Hello everone, :D update on Itch!!! My CRS' two prong approach on dealing with my Itch was successful. Image ..Ease up on the wetnaps as the moistness created a very ideal environment for fungus Image AND putting Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate cream on my butt and other itchy areas did the trick..no more itch... Image .In addition, the zinc oxide swabbing he did on my unhealed tag removal wound seems to have done the trick as well. Image My sphincter feels alot more healed and "toughened up" now...Not going back to wetnaps for a while and I have also been ordered to ease up on the Miralax which I have now gone from one capful to 1/2 capful an evening, along with my usual morning Tablet of 240mg of Docusate Calcium.... I hope this helps!!! Best Al Image
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict