HELP! Because I'm in Hell (Day 5 Post op. LIS) FISSURE

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

HELP! Because I'm in Hell (Day 5 Post op. LIS) FISSURE

Postby TLTOSU » 09 Oct 2012, 18:57

Hello,
I had LIS surgery 5 days ago because I had a chronic fissure (muscle fibers exposed).
OK, everything has gone pretty well thus far, NO drainage, no leaking, nothing. Little pain. First movement went ok (water birth).
Each movement is torture but OK right afterwards. I'm taking Oxycodone (total of 4 a day tops) but it makes me light headed and nauseous even with food.
I also take Ibuphrophen (3 at a time maybe 6/day)
Problem is that the Metamucil I was on for 3 days made stool HARD and starting yesterday, I'm swollen down there at incision site. I lie on a heating pad ALL day, (in lieu of baths) and do next to nothing.
Is this pain going to ever go away? If so when? In every other way, the surgery went great, and it appears that I'm healing well....
I'm just to the pain breaking point I think. I would love to know how long it hurt other people to sit in a normal chair, or at all, etc.. REALISTICALLY, how long until I am not throbbing constantly?
I cannot take pain, such a baby!
I am scheduled to walk 13 miles in 2 weeks from surgery. Is that likely? HELP!!
Thank you!!
PS it was regular LIS surgery, no tags, fistula, anything else but a Fissure.
TLTOSU
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: HELP! Because I'm in Hell (Day 5 Post op. LIS) FISSURE

Postby suzyljank » 09 Oct 2012, 20:28

Hi, so sorry you're in pain. I would suggest you switch to miralax, metamucil is a bulking type fiber supplement and right now you want your bms to come out soft not huge. Drink lots of liquids too, metamucil can set up like cement if you don't drink enough liquid. Your pain med oxycodone is a powerful pain medicine that causes constipation, see if your doctor can switch you to something less constipating. Try sits baths, they help a lot, and try to relax a little. You're only 5 days out from surgery and even though you had LIS your fissure is still there, it will take a little while for that to heal. Don't rub your bum with toilet paper either, if you can jump in the shower after a BM, it will clean you better and more gently. I hope this helps, Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby TLTOSU » 10 Oct 2012, 23:49

Thanks. I'm day 7 now, and the pain in my lower right (incision side) of my butt cheek KILLS me. Does that indicate infection? This does not feel normal! It hurts to the slightest touch.
My stool is so soft now that I'm just doing my high fiber diet. They said to just eat normally if stool is good that way.
If I go for follow up visit with surgeon now, will they be able to tell if infected? I know this can't be normal...Who are these people who were feeling better in a few days? OMG. I'm supposed to drive my car 1.5 hours day after tomorrow and then walk a half marathon in a week and 4 days. Not going to happen if I don't get some relief....
TLTOSU
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 11 Oct 2012, 03:41

Hi, I had LIS a few years ago, unfortunately for me it only helped me a little. Having said that I never needed more than ibuprofen for pain. If you can't even touch the area I would call your doctor and have it checked. You could have an infection or simply a stitch that is pulling. Are you taking lots of sits baths? They really do help. They keep the area clean and relax the muscle. Try applying a little heat to the area. Buy thermacare heat wraps, the ones for lower back. You can wrap that across your bottom and the heat from that will last 8 hours. I hope you find some relief soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby StevePain » 11 Oct 2012, 04:26

I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I am still not pain free at 2 years post-op but we are all different, you are only in the early stages of recovery and should expect things to crawl along so don't think anything is wrong just yet, take each day as it comes.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Anya324 » 11 Oct 2012, 12:57

"Drink lots of liquids too, metamucil can set up like cement if you don't drink enough liquid." suzyljank

I have had the same problem with Metamucil for that exact reason! Image I have found that drinking lots of water and combining 2/3 dose of Miralax with Citrucil in the evening is making things move right along. :)
I just had LIS with tag removal and fissurectomy yesterday. I have not had my first BM and am quite terrified about it. I think I might have to drag my hubby in with me for physical/mental support when it happens. I've had anal-rectal surgeries in the past and the first week of BM's are so terrifying.... Image
Anya324
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby cherylk » 11 Oct 2012, 13:30

I take a fiber supplement that I think is better than Metamucil. I'll post the name of it later. It is more natural and more expensive.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby cherylk » 11 Oct 2012, 13:30

I take a fiber supplement that I think is better than Metamucil. I'll post the name of it later. It is more natural and more expensive.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby TLTOSU » 12 Oct 2012, 21:00

Update: I had HORRIBLE pain for 2 days, and they rushed me into surgery today b/c it was an Abscess!
Never imagined pain like that before in my life. WAY worse than any fissure could be.
Immediate relief after it was drained.
I am a little disturbed by the comments that 'pain' continues for years after LIS? WHY?
I want to continue my high fiber diet, lose weight etc.. Will it last for me too? What kind of pain are we talking? What about incontinence?
Thanks!
Tani
TLTOSU
Fibre Addict

Postby richibeno » 13 Oct 2012, 07:03

Hey tani '
IV just had the same I had botox instead of list
Last Thursday I had an op to drain and clean out an abscess ,I was in so much pain I am now 9 days down the road and am healing still sore
I will have to have another op in Dec this abscess has left me with a drainage Seton and a fistula '
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28