Diltiazem made AF worse?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Diltiazem made AF worse?

Postby cherylk » 13 Oct 2012, 15:57

Stevo,
I hope that you are feeling better! Still happy with my new realization of putting the pea sized amount on the tip and inserting while holding myself open with the other hand. I used to just squeeze, hope, and guess on the amount being inserted.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby sufferer » 15 Oct 2012, 10:40

Am on my 3rd week of Diltiazem. Slight improvement, i.e. no blood, but the pain persists. Am bit scared that the ointment might not be working for me?
Have some more questions-
1. Does anal fissure develop an abscess and fistula? I understand these two are more serious and cannot be cured without surgery?
2. How do you know you have an abscess? The symptoms I read on the net for abscess seem similar to fissure. So how do you tell the diff?
3. Is there something you can do to prevent a fissure from developing an abscess?
Am very scared now, please help. Appreciate everyone's inputs. thanks all,
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby StevePain » 15 Oct 2012, 11:23

cheryl.. I am still having discomfort after BM's and it can last all day, just like my pre-LIS days!! Image
I hope that way of administering the Diltiazem is working for you.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 15 Oct 2012, 11:29

sufferer wrote:Am on my 3rd week of Diltiazem. Slight improvement, i.e. no blood, but the pain persists. Am bit scared that the ointment might not be working for me?
Have some more questions-
1. Does anal fissure develop an abscess and fistula? I understand these two are more serious and cannot be cured without surgery?
2. How do you know you have an abscess? The symptoms I read on the net for abscess seem similar to fissure. So how do you tell the diff?
3. Is there something you can do to prevent a fissure from developing an abscess?
Am very scared now, please help. Appreciate everyone's inputs. thanks all,

I'm not so sure that a Fissure can cause an abscess, rather it's after the surgery (LIS) that an abscess can form, but don't quote me on it!
A fistula is usually caused by an abscess, again I'm not 100% on this, I'm sure there's some threads on here which cover both of these if you browse the forum, I believe the symptoms of abscess include fever and severe pain with lots of discharge/pus.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 15 Oct 2012, 13:47

Steve,
That sucks. I hope that you get feeling better very soon!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby sufferer » 22 Oct 2012, 10:25

On my way to recovery my dear friends...
I'm on wk 4 of diltiazem and am definitely on my way to recovery. Of course it is a combination of diltiazem, a good diet, lots of water, stool softener, sitz bath once a day...and what I think worked wonders more than any of this....coconut oil. Yes, coconut oil...
I am being very cautious since I know one nasty Bm is all it takes to reverse the sunny day! But fingers crossed..
Cannot thank everyone on this forum enough..Cherylk, Stevepain...all u guys.
I will be back once I'm healed...I'm just happy to be going towards it. Thank you everyone...
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Oct 2012, 12:33

Hi Sufferer,
Anal fissures and fistulas are generally unconnected. Some of us are unfortunate enough to get them both!
They can develop through surgical incisions/ infected fissures but generally seem to result as the result of an abscess (which could form from the above if infected but this is not usual...) To be honest, getting a fistula, in my opinion is less troublesome and certainly less painful than a fissure ( I started off with one and the pain was horrible for me) Then an abscess developed (totally unrelated to the fissure and in a different area) This was painful while inflamed but burst within about 24 hours of it starting and the relief was amazing! It popped up very quickly and popped just as quickly at home. I was treated with a few weeks of anti-biotics and my GP kept an eye on things until I went back to my CRS who diagnosed a fistula as a result of this, had a fistulomy to get it healing. A fistula will NOT go on its own and definately needs surgically treating but overall, the process I went through with the abscess, fistula formation and surgery was NO where near as bad as the fissure I had with lingering pain for months. Given the choice, I think I'd rather a superficial fistula than a fissure that hurts for months, driving you mad because you don't know when it's going to end/ heal and all the pain and creams and stuff in the meantime to deal with....
An abscess can develop very quickly and then burst quickly (generally within a few days) It can appear almost as a large red bump and the pain tends to be localised than that of a fissure, which seems to make your whole bum hurt! I think you would know if you had an abscess. Once it pops all the pus comes out and it's yucky and I certainly knew it was a different kind of pain from the fissure with very different effects...
Try not to worry too much and fear the worse....most people just end up with a fissure OR a fistula, not necessarily both or the fistula a result of an abscess. Just keep up a good & meticulous cleaning routine, to keep the area fresh, clean with less risk of infection and you should be just fine!!
I used Diliatizem for 7 weeks, inserting about 1.5 cm internally along the top of my finger, twice a day and it worked brilliantly for me. I also felt mass relief about a week after using it. I was a bit scared to stop it because I didn't know if I had healed but my CRS confirmed it had fully healed when I got my Fistulomy done.
Try not to scare yourself too much by some of the other stories you might read on the web. Just focus on sorting out your fissure and don't start worrying about anything else developing!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Oct 2012, 12:34

Great news! Just read your above post!
May the healing get better & better for you :D
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby cherylk » 22 Oct 2012, 16:56

Ever,
Thanks for posting all of the above GOOD information! Does anyone (or has a doc said) what CAUSES a fistula? I know persons with Crohn's often have fistulizing disease as a result of having Crohn's.
BTW--very excited about the way research is going as far as CD for any of those affected (or those with affected spouses).
cherylk
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 23 Oct 2012, 13:09

Hiya, I found the following info.........
Hope it helps! :)
An anal fistula is most commonly caused by an Anal abscess, which is a painful collection of pus. An anal abscess usually develops after a small gland, just inside the anus, becomes infected with bacteria. The cause of the abscess is often unknown, although abscesses are more common in people with immune deficiencies, such as HIV and AIDS.
Abscesses are usually treated with a course of antibiotics (medication to treat infections caused by bacteria). In most cases, you will also need to have the infected fluid drained away from the abscess.
If an anal abscess bursts before it has been treated, it can sometimes cause an anal fistula to develop. A fistula may also occur if an abscess has not completely healed, or if the infected fluid has not been entirely drained away.
Approximately 40% - 50% of people with an anal abscess will develop an anal fistula.
Fistulae however can also be caused by conditions that affect the intestines in the digestive system. An anal fistula may also develop as a result of:
A growth or ulcer (painful sore)
A complication from surgery
A congenital abnormality (a health problem that you were born with)
Anal fistulae are also a common complication of conditions that cause the intestines to become inflamed, such as:
Diverticulitis – the formation of small pouches that stick out of the side of the large intestine (colon), which become infected and inflamed
•Ulcerative colitis – a chronic condition that causes the colon to become inflamed and can cause ulcers to form on the lining of the colon
•Crohns disease – a chronic condition that causes inflammation of the lining of the digestive system.
Other infections or conditions that can lead to the development of an anal fistula include:
•Cancer of the rectum – the rectum is an area at the end of the colon where faeces are stored
•Tuberculosis (TB) – a bacterial infection that mainly affects the lungs, but can also spread to many different parts of the body
•HIV and AIDS – a virus that attacks the body's immune system (its defence against disease and infection)
•Chlamydia – a sexually transmitted infection that often causes no symptoms
•Syphilis – a bacterial infection that is passed on through sexual contact, injecting drugs or blood transfusions
This great link provides more details on how Crohns can cause a fistula to form:
formations:http://www.ehow.com/way_5642903_fistula-crohn_s-disease-cause-pain_.html
All the best to you all suffering :)
Ever the Optimist