LIS and Skin Tag removal 5 days ago...help

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS and Skin Tag removal 5 days ago...help

Postby LIS-Recoverer » 16 Oct 2012, 07:48

First of all,
I'm glad I found some place to vent, if nothing else. So, thanks everyone for having this board up.
I was suffering with my AF for more than a year before I decided to see my General Practitioner for it (stupid I know). My excuse is that I am a 34-year-old veteran of the military who was basically trained into the mindset that 'if it ain't gonna kill ya, no need to waste time with a Doc.'
In any case after the first visit with a CRSurgeon I was prescribed the Nitroglycerin ointment. Frankly, all that did was give me blindingly painful headaches...they hurt just as bad as the fissure did...but now I had both. Fail.
I went back, again after too long, life got busy...
Visited the same Doctor and got scheduled for surgery last week.
So, background over...it's been 5 days now and I am still in pretty incredible pain when I have a bowel movement. I called the surgeon's office yesterday and they basically said 'yeah...that's normal' which is odd because they only gave me pain medication through yesterday (I've been using it sparingly...so I have a couple percoset left for today...but I'm sort of terrified about what the rest of today will bring...let alone tomorrow.)
Additionally, my surgeon told me that after a couple days (last weekend) I should be fine to go back to work.
There is simply no way. I have to go directly from the toilet to the tub to even cope with the spasming pain after every event...maybe I'm the weird one, but at my office...this isn't a possibility.
I've tried adding fiber to every part of my diet, increased my water intake several orders of magnitude...and still, every BM is a adamantium lined granite torpedo of pain.
I've put a call into the surgeon's office to try and get a refill on the pain control meds...but I'm concerned that perhaps something else is afoot. I just wasn't led to believe ahead of time that the level of pain, post procedure, would be this high.
I know it's early and I still believe I made the right choice to have the surgery, but here's hoping I am just weak and not experiencing some unknown complication.
Thanks again for the venue upon which to vent my frustration.
LIS-Recoverer

Topics: 1

Re: LIS and Skin Tag removal 5 days ago...help

Postby StevePain » 16 Oct 2012, 08:18

Hey there, it's pretty normal to still have pain 5 days post-op, trust me, I know. I had pain for well over 1 and a half years after the fact and now have a re-occurrence of my fissure.
I wouldn't worry about the pain your experiencing so early on in the recovery period, take each day as it comes and don't expect too much too soon. The procedure is only very short for LIS but the pain can last for a long time after because of the trauma to the area, things may be a little worse because you've had a skin tag removed also, just take it easy and take sitz baths @ X4 / day for 15-20 minutes then dry the anus with a hairdryer on moderate heat setting or cool, don't towel dry as this would be painful and irritate the area, keep vigilant and most of all try to keep a positive mental attitude.
Good Luck.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Neen » 16 Oct 2012, 10:11

Yes, sounds normal for 5 days to me...I think the majority of people could not even think of going back to work 1 week after. Some people heal quickly, the majority don't. One day at a time. I just had my second surgery in 5 months and I am 5 weeks out and once again I am still trying to figure it all out. Good luck, I hope tomorrow is better than today and so on and so on!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby kbhappy2 » 01 Aug 2021, 09:02

Omg the positive mental !!!! 5days post op LIS + skin tag and I can honestly say mind games is all I’ve got sometimes
kbhappy2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby ken2021 » 03 Aug 2021, 22:44

I am now 3 weeks POST OP and still have a pain, Any advice? Is it same experience you had guys?
ken2021
Salt Bather

Topics: 1