My Botox Diary - Day 1

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My Botox Diary - Day 1

Postby DMBIG » 12 Oct 2012, 16:56

Hi Folks,
I've been suffering for just under a year. Periodic success with ointments and dieting. But frustrated with the most recent retear, visited CRS today and decided to take the next step...BOTOX. He injected me in the office with just a local anesthetic. Some slight discomfort, but nothing compared to a bowel movement. I felt at least 3 shots and he used twice the volume they apparently use for aesthetic purposes (never thought I'd ever get botox, let alone in my rear end LOL!). I have Blue Cross Anthem and the procedure was covered under insurance. It's been about 4 hours since the injection and I don't have any pain from the procedure. I plan to go about my day as I would normally do. Planning a crossfit workout after work. Will update my progress periodically in the upcoming days. Trying to stay positive and hopeful I can beat this thing and avoid LIS. Fingers crossed!!
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: My Botox Diary - Day 1

Postby DMBIG » 14 Oct 2012, 13:31

Day 2 and Day 3
Had a bowel movement each day. Still a lot of pain, but noticing a little less spasming. Bowel movements have not been as soft as I would like. Not taking any stool softener meds and trying to control with diet. But may need to give in a little.
No pain specific to the botox injection points so I would say this procedure is relatively painless. I would definitely recommend trying before jumping to the LIS if you have insurance that will pay for the procedure.
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Postby richibeno » 14 Oct 2012, 14:43

well done
it can take u to 2 weeks for the botox to work fully
keep it soft ,no pushing,drink loads of water
i use movicol one at a night time helps me keep soft
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby DMBIG » 16 Oct 2012, 12:29

Day 5
Thx Richibeno. Took some colace last night and bowel movement was noticeable softer this morning, but still a lot of pain. Having some muscle spasm type discomfort right now so my guess is the botox still hasn't kicked. Sure hope it does soon...i'm starting to lose hope...agh!
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Postby richibeno » 16 Oct 2012, 13:04

dmbig ,it gets easier im sure
i had complications ,
pain meds ,hot packs ect
richibeno
VIP

Postby cherylk » 16 Oct 2012, 17:45

dmbig,
I hope that you can avoid LIS also. I was set to try Botox if my ointment did not work.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby DMBIG » 18 Oct 2012, 14:54

Day 6
No change in my symptoms. Another painful BM this morning even though stool was soft. Still using Nifed ointment morning and evening. 3 colace pills at night. Having some discomfort right now with pain and burning sensation. I hope there is relief for me in the near future...
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Postby richibeno » 22 Oct 2012, 12:49

hey dmbig
how are you doing ,any better
richibeno
VIP

Postby DMBIG » 22 Oct 2012, 13:00

Day 7 8 9 and 10
Rich, thanks for inquiring. I felt as though I was turing the corner over the weekend. I didn't have a need to go to the bathroom on Sat and things felt much better by Sunday when I went twice with no pain. Then today, I had pain again, but not as painful as the early part of last week. So my guess is it's healing, but slowly. The spasms are under control so the botox may be kicking in. I'm definitely not out of the woods, but staying positive and hopeful I can get through this...

DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Postby DMBIG » 25 Oct 2012, 11:45

Day 13
Well, finally some relief. Had a nice, soft BM this morning with no pain. So my fissure feels like it's healing, although I'm certain I'm not out of the woods just yet. The muscle feels nice and relaxed down there so the botox has definitely kicked in. I have stopped taking colace for the last couple of days with no issues in maintaing soft stools given my clean, high fiber diet. I will probably update this post once a week unless something unforseen happens, but I finally feel like I'm on the road to recovery! Thanks to everyone who kept encouraging me to help me reach this point!
DMBIG
Fibre Addict