Itch post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Itch post LIS

Postby sadies-day » 19 Oct 2012, 16:52

Just got back from my 3 mo. checkup post LIS. CRS said the fissure healed up nicely. I told him I'm still having problems with irritation post BM. He said the skin looked red down there but otherwise okay. He prescribed my an anti-fungal cream to use for two weeks, an anti-fungal powder to use for 3 mos. after that, and a 2 week round of antibiotics. With any luck, one of those three will take care of this lingering problem. Now off to soak my rump in a hot bath.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Itch post LIS

Postby jr2 » 19 Oct 2012, 21:42

Glad to hear the fissure has healed! That is great news!
If the trouble is fungal in nature, you might want to consider stopping the soaks. Fungus thrives in moist environments, and you might be better off keeping the area drier to help the medication work better.
Good luck! I hope you feel better soon with this last bit of irritation.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Grateful Al » 22 Oct 2012, 12:02

Come to think of it..my itch post LIS started when went back to soaking...Thank you for the advice!!!
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby sadies-day » 24 Oct 2012, 16:31

Couple of things that may be contributing to my continued problem. First is the consistency of the stool. If it comes out clean such that no wiping is required then I get no irritation. If it's more loose or sticky then I've been wiping with wet TP (I like the Balneol but its too darned expensive). But, I was also generally letting things air dry on their own (even after a shower or bath). Drying the area thoroughly afterwards seems to have helped. I've also been applying the anti-fungal medicine. The other thing I've noticed is the last two times things have been irritated (which includes right now), I had popcorn a night or two before. I'm wondering if the undigested husks combined with the skin being weak/sensitive/etc. is also causing some small fissures to occur. I never used to have a problem with popcorn when I was younger but maybe since the AF things are different down there. Just a thought...
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 24 Oct 2012, 17:59

You can apply vaseline prior to a BM. That makes wiping easier if you don't want to use Balneol. I would stay off the popcorm for awhile. It is hard on the digestive system and also hard on the butt.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Grateful Al » 24 Oct 2012, 19:45

Well my stool have definately been on the softer sticky side I am terrified of a hard stool still. I have no idea but maybe it is fungal in nature. I have a visit with my CRS next week and i will ask him. This week, I have scratched my butt to high heaven, even to the point where my buns started to bleed a little bit...while it heals quickly I can't believe how much I desire to scratch now..Never had that desire pre LIS. I do hope its because of healing..Overall, my BMs are almost painless except for minor stinging during movement..Otherwise no residual pain and quick wet nap clean up...Still sticking to my AF diet with some minor diviations such as eggs and some breads...overall, very happy with progress. I am almost 6 weeks after my LIS...Thank you for you advice!!!!
Grateful Al
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Anya324 » 24 Oct 2012, 20:25

I'm two weeks post surgery and have a UTI and a fungal infection and I'm recovering from a fissurectomy and LIS. i did some research about sitz baths and fungus and it's recommended to add Epsom salt or vinagar to neutralize the growth of bacteria. I'm currently doing the former as I type :) I too have my stools to loose which causes significant amount of burning after BM so I have to work on my MiraLAX dosage so that the stools come but not so soft because it is very irritating.
What powder did the doctor give you I'm really curious because I struggle with fungal infections down there anyway for some crazy reason since, I would say, the beginning of this year which didn't really have anything to do with the AF. I am interested in using that just as a preventative measure if you don't mind giving me the name of it I appreciate it~thanks :D
Anya324
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby sadies-day » 26 Oct 2012, 15:57

It's a nystatin powder. I haven't tried it yet as I'm currently undergoing a setback that I think started with the popcorn I ate last week. My butt hole is very angry right now and since I'm seeing a little blood on the TP when I blot/wipe, it tells me I've got another fissure. Figures. Hopefully the LIS I had a few weeks ago will mean it'll heal quickly. Anyhow, back to the sit baths, gauze stuffed up in there, the calmoseptine, stool softeners, and fiber additives.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby Anya324 » 27 Oct 2012, 07:55

I'm so sorry you're hurting! The day after I read your post about the popcorn my hubby offered me some and I thought "heck no, techno". I love me some popcorn but I like rectal health better. GL!
Anya324
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby sadies-day » 27 Oct 2012, 08:47

I know, I'm going thru popcorn withdrawal. It's one of the best snacks - high in fiber, low calorie. Maybe I'll try the "hull-less" kind. In a few months though.
sadies-day
Salt Bather