My story: LIS and fissurectomy yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My story: LIS and fissurectomy yesterday

Postby Buttbooboo » 06 Nov 2012, 12:20

I've read a lot of other people's stories. Some have scared me and some have been comforting. I am a 30yo female. I suffered for about five months before going to the doctor. I assumed I had a hemorrhoid because I had a tag, and thought it would go away. I waited till I couldn't stand it anymore. My CRS gave me cream but told me it was unlikely to work bc my fissure was chronic.
My surgery was yesterday morning. It was really fast. I don't think they gave me enough drugs bc I woke up feeling pretty with it. They told me I'd be numb for a while, but I had a dull aching in my bum and felt nauseous from the drugs. The nurse offered to give me a vicodin there, but I just wanted to get home so I said no. That was a big mistake. my husband dropped me off at home and when to pick up my prescription. The pain in my butt got pretty bad while I waited. I was in tears, it was horrible. I took two vicodin when he got home and spent the rest of the day doped up. I tried to take a sitz bath in the tub, but couldn't get comfortable.
per my CRS instructions I'm taking a stool softener and metamucil. I switched to Ibuprofen this morning bc I don't want to get constipated. I'm glad I have sanitary pads. there is some discharge with gas. there is a dull aching all the time, and I'm getting bored bc I can't sit, only stand or lay down. but so far, so good. I took a peak at my butt and it is bruised but looks better then it has in months. So far no regrets, but also no BM yet.
Buttbooboo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: My story: LIS and fissurectomy yesterday

Postby Lauren12 » 07 Nov 2012, 13:20

All the best for a speedy recovery. :)
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 07 Nov 2012, 15:48

Butt,
All the very best to you and for a swift recovery. You acted pretty quickly actually in getting the treatment. Most people spend months before getting the diagnosis, then more months trying out the creams/ botox and all the conservative measures with diet etc. so to get in with an op and out within that time frame, is pretty amazing! Hopefully, this will help you to recover even more quickly.
Post op is always a bit tender and miserable and nervewracking. I was Fistula post-op, so different procedure but I would just advise you try to get as much rest for your butt as you can, stick with all the right foods for softer than soft BM's, lots of fluids, hot baths you can lie in (NOT sitz) and stay on top of the painkillers (i.e. take them before the pain takes hold!) It'll only be temporary during the early healing and good move on the Ibruprofen. That's exactly what I did and avoided any codeine based pain relief at all costs because it can be more constipating!.....
There are lots of success stories following your procedure and fingers crossed, in a few weeks time, you'll be feeling a million times better! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 07 Nov 2012, 15:52

P.S. Try not to too stress too much about that first BM. A LOT of people are pleasantly shocked that's it's nowhere NEAR as bad as they were expecting!!! I was fine. Just take a few deep breaths and try to stay as calm and relaxed as you can about it and throughout the process. Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Buttbooboo » 07 Nov 2012, 18:45

Update: Yesterday and today have really dragged on. the pain is not too bad, but constant. Can't sit. stand or lay down only. Still sticking w Ibuprofen. When I woke up this morning drug free, I was in a lot of pain. I've never eaten this healthy in my life. I had my first BM this morning after breakfast and coffee. Piece of cake. barely felt it.
I can't believe others suffer for years with this. I really felt like I couldn't take it anymore. I had a rather large tag, so I didn't want to try Botox since it wouldn't get rid of that.
I probably shouldn't, but I'm going to try to go to work tomorrow. I'm a hair stylist so I don't sit at all. I don't think I'll last all day, but I warned my boss. I'm getting cabin fever in here all day. My husband says surgery is boring.
Buttbooboo
Fibre Addict

Postby Buttbooboo » 10 Nov 2012, 15:42

Working on Thursday was a huge mistake. It was a horrible day. Friday I started to feel a lot better and today I feel pretty good. My second and third BMs were way worse then the first. I was really glad I was home for those. I have a new tag that has formed. A real small one. Any suggestions on how to get that to go away on its own?
Buttbooboo
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Nov 2012, 17:35

Butt,
It seemed a bit too soon to be going back to work... ...Appreciate you get bored but you need to get some rest on and off that backside but at least you're feeling better. Try get a bit of a relax over the weekend and don't forget to take time off if you feel you really need it. Hopefully it'll be plain sailing for you but you may have rougher days so don't aggravate anything....
A tag can quite easily form with a fissure/ surgery, so if it's small enough and not giving you any grief, I would seriously just leave it for now. CRS' are fairly reluctant to operate on skin tags and will probably suggest you just leave it be, if not causing you any issues.
Good luck in your continuing recovery.
Ever the Optimist