Metatstatic colon cancer and annal pain

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Metatstatic colon cancer and annal pain

Postby ZinWar » 17 Nov 2012, 19:50

Hello,
I have just celebrated three years of fighting Metastatic Colon cancer that has moved to my liver. Ever since I had radiation I have had a ton of issues going to the bathroom. For a few years I battled with constipation and now I have been dealing with horrific diarrhea. But the worst of it all is the hemorrhoidal pain and spasms!!! I am in pain all the time! It is horribly painful to go to the bathroom all the time, and I am either in a sitz bath or sitting on a heating pad!! Is there any releif out there that you guys know of? My surgeon keeps suggesting an ostomy bag but I am not ready for that! I feel there must be other avenues to take away the pain! Is there? Please help me!
Thank you and glad I found your website!
ZinWar

Topics: 1

Re: Metatstatic colon cancer and annal pain

Postby jr2 » 18 Nov 2012, 14:47

Hi ZinWar,
Congratulations on celebrating three years! That is definitely a celebration!
I'm so sorry to hear you're now coping with so much anal pain. Has your surgeon definitely diagnosed your problem as hemorrhoids? Do you have fissures? Have you tried any treatments or been given any options for local treatment of your anal problems aside from the ostomy? Is there anything that helps your diarrhea, such as adding a fiber supplement to absorb some of the water, or cholestyramine to absorb bile acids? Does your surgeon have reasoning for the recommendation of ostomy related to your colon cancer?
It just seems like a big step to take to an ostomy unless it's related to your cancer or other treatment options have failed?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby ZinWar » 18 Nov 2012, 21:55

Thank you for answering :) Yes, I am currently switching between the bullet type suppositories and the enema type suppositories. Both of which are brutal to even insert! But, the enema type is a hydrocortizone rectal suspension and it seems to work the best. I have just read online that peppermint capsules, green tea and baby aspirin help the pain?? Any truth to that? My oncologist has given me a prescription for oxy but it doesn't always work. I find that ibuprofen tends to work the best believe it or not, but I have to be very careful how much I take because of the tumors from cancer on my liver...I don't want to overtax it. Is there a specific diet or food restrictions that help to reduce the flare ups? Should I be on a high fiber diet? What do you find helps?
Again thank you for being there, all of you! I don't feel so alone dealing with this :)
ZinWar

Topics: 1

Postby jr2 » 18 Nov 2012, 22:56

Hi Zinwar,
The hydrocortisone you will want to use short term as it can start causing more problems than it solves over longer periods of time. Ibuprofen makes sense for its anti-inflammatory effects.
As far as diet, it's really individual based on everyone's different digestive situation. Since you are having so much trouble with diarrhea, you could probably benefit from adding foods that can help you with more formed stools that are also easy to pass... oatmeal, green tea, brown rice, split pea soup, pears, sweet potato are good examples. Avoid spicy foods, acidic foods, and alcohol. A fiber supplement such as Metamucil might help you too. You don't want to overly bulk up your stool, but you're also really struggling with diarrhea, which is just as hard on the anal area as constipation, so it's important to experiment and find some things that help you.
Beets are really good for your liver, and since you've already got a vulnerable liver, that could be helpful to add to your diet. Peppermint relaxes smooth muscles, so it might be something to try. I would go slowly with it at first though just to make sure it doesn't cause burning on BMs. Baby aspirin would be similar to ibuprofen for anti-inflammatory effects, but check with your doctor first given your health issues. Keep in mind aspirin will thin blood, so if you have bleeding with your hemorrhoids, you just want to be watchful of the aspirin and bleeding.
These types of problems cause so much misery, and take a lot of exploration and experimentation. This is a great place for information and support and lots of tips. Browse around and read lots of posts. It's a library of sorts, really, for what different people have tried and had success with.
I hope you are able to find relief!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 19 Nov 2012, 08:25

Hi ZinWar,
Have you used any of the creams like diltiazem or nefadepine? I used diltiazem for a few months and it made all the difference. It takes a few weeks to really notice the improvement, but it really works for some.
Hope you find some relief soon... You have been through a lot already. Xx
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !