anyone had this surgical procedure or is it new??

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

anyone had this surgical procedure or is it new??

Postby yckcec » 25 Nov 2012, 14:56

Hi There,
I am just wondering if anyone out there has had a procedure whereby the scar tissue and skin tag removed and the fissure stitched?? I had botox 3 weeks ago which didn't work and my CRS has suggested doing this next. I'm interested to hear if this has been successful for anyone.
yckcec

Topics: 2

Re: anyone had this surgical procedure or is it new??

Postby Neen » 25 Nov 2012, 16:12

Hello, I has LIS/fissurectomy in April. The scar tissue was removed and fissure was stitched. I was in bad shape pre surgery..the surgeon said my anus skin was fried from using anucorte suppositories. I got a skintag and another fissure. Had another surgery in September, skintag removed and fissure stitched up. I am doing wonderfully now! Almost back to normal. It is rough the first few days/week. It is worth it though. If you do it, get some miralax/movicol and stool softeners for post op. I didnt start miralax with my first surgery until 3 weeks...I could kick myself because I am sure it would have made the difference. Good luck and keep us posted!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

thank you for reply

Postby yckcec » 26 Nov 2012, 12:01

Hi ,
Thank you for that info. I have been suffering since my baby was born 8 months ago and am so fed up of the pain at this stage. My CRS has given me two dates - Dec. 14th and Jan 8th to have it done. She was pushing for January as I may run into a problem over the Christmas period if I get any kind of infection. I think myself, that I will have it in Dec as the pain of infection or recovery can't be any more painful than the pain I'm in at the moment. Fingers crossed that it will work!!
yckcec

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 26 Nov 2012, 14:59

Just wanted to add... Is your surgeon planning on LIS, or just the scar cleanup, skin tag removal, and "stitching"? If I were contemplating surgery I would be concerned about the rate of healing success without doing anything about the muscle while you heal. Since Neen also had LIS, healing would be more likely because of the additional procedure. Some surgeons are more hesitant about LIS because of the risk of incontinence, but I would still want to ask the surgeon about it.
Good luck with your decision!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sadies-day » 26 Nov 2012, 17:50

For what it's worth, my CRS does not stitch up the surgical site since he says it increases the chance of infection. His preference is to let it heal from the inside out. Good luck!
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13