New to Forum: IBS and Anal Fissure: Extreme Pain

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to Forum: IBS and Anal Fissure: Extreme Pain

Postby MuseumDancer » 19 Nov 2012, 13:48

I am so thank-full to find this forum. I have felt very lost and alone with my fissure. Reading some of the other posts makes me feel not so alone and gives me hope. But they also scare me. I do not want to have to live like this anymore.
I have been battling IBS (pending further blood tests to rule out other causes) for 8 years. I feel that I get it under control then it flares up again. It causes alternating diarrhea and constipation which caused the anal fissure about a year ago (not knowing that is what it was). It has been really bad where I have to take off work for days then, it will not hurt and I will be fine for a week or so. It is a horrible cycle. I was prescribed some pain cream (Lidocaine), it helped a little but not on enough.
One month ago I went to GI and had Sigmoidoscopy. Diagnosed me as having an anal fissure and is running other blood tests to rule out celiac disease (instead of IBS). He prescribed Rectiv (nitroglycerin ointment). I thought it was helping a little but I have been using it twice a day and I am still in a lot of pain with a lot of bleeding when I have a bowl movement or try to have a bowel movement (4 weeks later).
I have not been able to have a bowel movement for 2 days now because every time I try it hurts so bad my body just closes up and won't let me go. It is so bad that I am screaming when trying to go.
I don't know what to do. It is so frustrating. I just want to be my normal, active self again.
Thanks for listening, it is just nice to have people who understand and don't judge.
MuseumDancer

Topics: 1

Re: New to Forum: IBS and Anal Fissure: Extreme Pain

Postby T-Rex » 19 Nov 2012, 18:41

Hi welcome to the forum!
I know how you feel, I stand in the bathroom staring at the toilet but my body won't let me sit down and just have my BM! Unfortunately, not going if/when you need to will lead to further problems. (we all know this, yet our minds don't let us!)
Hopefully you will get treated and have your active lifestyle back
T-Rex
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby jr2 » 19 Nov 2012, 19:51

Hi MuseumDancer,
Are you taking any stool softeners? When you have a fissure, the muscles are very tense to protect against the pain. A stool softener can help you to feel less pain when you go. Second, withholding BMs will make things worse. When you have the urge and you are unable to relax enough, try some deep breathing, deep into your abdomen so that your pelvic muscles relax. You might even want to soak in a warm bathtub prior to a BM to help the area relax.
Using the nitro. before a BM will also help the internal sphincter to relax. You might want to try using a stepstool while you are sitting on the toilet. Getting your knees up above your hips helps the pelvic floor to relax during a bowel movement. Breathe deeply, massage your abdomen in gentle circles, get your knees up, use the nitro., divert your mind by imagining somewhere relaxing like the ocean or the mountains. Take your time. Applying some Vaseline just before a BM can also help protect the fissure from further irritation with a BM.
With IBS it is critical to identify foods that cause you troubles. It won't cure your problem, but it can cut way down on the severity of your symptoms.
I'm so sorry you're here and suffering so much, but you've landed in the right place for information and support. Tons of helpful information and really supportive people on this board. Browse around and ask lots of questions.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 3 years now » 27 Nov 2012, 09:29

Please take coconut or olive oil every day - 1 or 2 tbsp's, drink it down with something. It helps move things along, protects the wall of the intestine, and makes it so much easier to have a bm.
It has saved me, try it.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby cherylk » 27 Nov 2012, 10:21

Museum,
I have IBS also and vacillate as well. Therefore, regulating the correct amount of Miralax to take is challenging. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46